The Brill Dictionary for Ancient Greek

arnehalbakken

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanx Fabian. I did not realise that there were two editions, one much more reasonably priced than the other. I had thought the 400 Euro edition was the only one. Hmmmm....

Thx

D

Also, every few years or so, we hear about John A. L. Lee and G. H. R. Horsley, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament with Documentary Parallels. I have no idea what the current state of this project is. In the Introduction to Biblical Greek Language and Lexicography: Essays in Honor of Frederick W. Danker, Burton and Taylor state the lexicon is intended to succeed Moulton and Milligan's The Vocabulary of the Greek Testament Illustrated from the Papyri and Other Non-Literary Sources. Lee has published individual word studies in various places, several in his book A History of New Testament Lexicography which I found to be a fun read.

Thanks Daniel for the tip about the Cambridge project.

A.D.

Edited by A.D. Riddle

• 4 months later...

I see the Cambridge GLP site is now saying 2019 publication.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I’m just making a comment here since it went on pre-pub for Logos. I would really like this module in Accordance.

• Like 2

I’m just making a comment here since it went on pre-pub for Logos. I would really like this module in Accordance.

You and me both but I know licenses from Brill are a pain. Plus the price point would be no bueno

• 4 months later...

I would also like to see this in Accordance. As to the price point, if Accordance can offer it for the same price as the print volume, I would rather pay $125 for the Brill Dictionary rather than $129 for LSJ.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Agree with the foregoing. Interesting that Logos has got this in production now, having achieved their minimum for pre-pub subscriptions.

Edited by rkirk
  • Like 2

About the price, I also buy with a budget, but I prefer high quality material from Accordance, so I buy less and only scholar stuff (most) of the time. 

I expect from Accordance, the main reason I bought it, to get the best available resources. 

• Like 2

Hello!

I use printed copy in Italian - VERY useful. It has a CD but for Windows only.

I'll be happy to have it in Accordance one day - hopefully soon :)

Roman

• Like 1

Hello!

I use printed copy in Italian - VERY useful. It has a CD but for Windows only.

I'll be happy to have it in Accordance one day - hopefully soon :)

Roman

Brill is notoriously difficult to work with. A great publisher but very difficult to negotiate licenses

I, for one, would also go in for it, with a price + or - comparable, with what L is offering it for.

DC

• 2 months later...

Thanx Fabian. I did not realise that there were two editions, one much more reasonably priced than the other. I had thought the 400 Euro edition was the only one. Hmmmm....

Thx

D

Maybe the one volume is the same as the two volume set. But for the smaller price. 

The same is true for the Gesenius 18. They published the parts which are ready for a price of 250 bucks per book. But the whole all in one was only 100 bucks. The difference are the cost and it is more handy to work with the parts are more handy than with the big clunk big one volume. The content is exactly the same.

Greetings

Fabian

P.S. From this Brill book, there is also a Greek-Italian CD available for our Italian friends. Please consider this too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone following the Cambridge Greek lexicon may find this interesting :

Thx
D

I certainly did find it interesting, especially the question about making the lexicon available for software like Accordance, to which he answered, "Discussion about digital publication is ongoing. I can’t give any more information at the moment." I hope Oak Tree is involved in those discussions. Since it's richly tagged XML, it should be possible to make an Accordance resource with a good range of fields.

Particularly relevant to this thread is what Dr. Ross said back in 2016, "It will most likely replace the much-beloved Liddell-Scott-Jones dictionary, and all of its dependents – if you haven’t bought the new Brill dictionary, don’t." I wonder if he would still say that. The corpus for the new lexicon includes the NT, but not the LXX. I fear it may wind up being like the Oxford Latin Dictionary: great for classical studies, but otherwise of limited usefulness. Since the OLD corpus stops at 200 AD, it excludes nearly all Christian Latin. I see lots of abbreviations for classical authors on the sample page of the Cambridge lexicon, but I didn't spot anything that looked like a Christian author. I think "Plb." is Polybius, which at least would get us into the Koine period, but perhaps not with much breadth.

Also they've decided to cite only author names, not passages. OK for students (their main audience), less useful for scholars.

Lastly, I note this from the project website: "Unforeseen delays at proof stage has meant that the long-awaited Lexicon may not be out before May 2020."

• Like 1

I have to say I came away from reading this somewhat moderated in my expectations for this lexicon. I thought the lack of cited passages unfortunate notwithstanding the issues with including them. I'll have to see how much that hurts in practice - it could be fine - but it does strengthen the case for a computer version of the lexicon though, as there you could resolve the citation issue by looking up or linking to texts in other systems. Also, the NT is restricted to the gospels according to the interview. The corpus for the Cambridge apparently extends to Plutarch which doesn't get you any further than OLD then I guess.

Regarding the electronic publication, I think the fact that it's basically been developed in XML will go a long way to making things here doable, particularly if cited works are tagged clearly. I have no idea what they are going to do about licensing. I get the impression that the plan is to get the hard copy version out first and then see about the computer versions. I got a very similar answer earlier last year when I contacted the editors last year. I also don't know to what extent Accordance will have materials to link the cited works to. It would be nice to see citations to Perseus modules that Acc includes. As to CE citations, I don't think this lexicon was ever intended to do much in the space covered by BDAG and its kin.

I think it will be an important lexicon to have but using it will more often require access to other systems for resolving the citations than perhaps LSJ does now - depending upon how one tends to use these citations now I suppose. I would love to see a comparison to Brill once the Cambridge is available.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I'm afraid there won't be any links to works in the Cambridge lexicon. All you get in the entries is abbreviations for authors. You can see the XML in their video starting at 5:50: <Auth>Pl. </Auth>

To actually get to the works, what you need is not the lexicon, but their database of electronic "slips," which they would also like to release in some form.

• Like 1

I'm afraid there won't be any links to works in the Cambridge lexicon. All you get in the entries is abbreviations for authors. You can see the XML in their video starting at 5:50: <Auth>Pl. </Auth>

To actually get to the works, what you need is not the lexicon, but their database of electronic "slips," which they would also like to release in some form.

I haven't watched that video in quite a while. I didn't quite appreciate that the citing is only Authors not even works. So yes the db would be really needed and again points to the value of a computer edition. Curiously there is a closing </AuthWork> tag in one entry in the video but I don't see the opening and it doesn't actually mention the work itself.

Thx

D

• 1 year later...

Great news! The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek is now available; and for a limited time, you can add it to your Accordance Library at discounted introductory pricing. I'm not making this up or exaggerating when I say, you might not see it discounted this low after this year.