Aykkkk! User Notes Deleted on Sync!

Joel Arnold

Things were syncing smoothly for awhile. But yesterday I synced from my iPad and it deleted the user notes off of my computer. I pulled the files back out of the dropbox trash but Accordance won't open them (or maybe I'm not putting them in the right place?) I tried adding a .amynotes extension and it said it needed a newer version of Accordance (I'm running 12.0.2)

Any help getting it running again? Also, I'm a little gun shy now, wondering why my notes got randomly deleted like that. Is dropbox sync stable?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ez3pm8himsf4ifl/AAASelxc_KYxMdfJZ4VINiKba?dl=0

You could use "Time Machine" (mac) or or "File History" for windows. If you don't have backups turned on on your computer, as a last resort, most people have iPhone backups, either to iCloud (if you have turned on backups to iCloud), or otherwise backups to your computer, as long as you are still plugging your phone into your computer occasionally. 

Arnold,

I would log in to your dropbox.com account and look in Dropbox > Apps > Accordance > User Notes. Then click on the trash icon to show deleted files. Hopefully, the deleted User Note appears and you can restore it. Once you restore on dropbox.com then you should be able to sync the User Note to your Mac and iPad.

This is the best way to recover deleted files (from Dropbox) because you choose the latest file from the sync history and can reliably propagate the file to your Mac and iPad. 

Also, you cannot add the *.amynotes extension to upgrade the User Note (new file format to support unicode, pics, etc). There is a upgrade utility in Accordance (preferences > User Files).

Let me know if you are able to restore,

Mike

• Like 1

Hey thanks Mike! I was able to get it going. The trick was apparently giving it an acc4 extension. Then it opened right up.

My highlights are gone, though I still have the files. They just won't open. Extension is .hlt. Any ideas?

On opening says "The file "my highlights" appears to have an unsupported file type."

Been trying to reach phone support. Maybe MIA. But this is helpful.

And it sounds like I should go ahead and upgrade to .amynotes (using the utility of course)?

One more. How stable would you say dropbox sync is? Can I trust it?

Thanks again!

Edited by Arnold

Hey thanks Mike! I was able to get it going. The trick was apparently giving it an acc4 extension. Then it opened right up.

My highlights are gone, though I still have the files. They just won't open. Extension is .hlt. Any ideas?

On opening says "The file "my highlights" appears to have an unsupported file type."

Been trying to reach phone support. Maybe MIA. But this is helpful.

And it sounds like I should go ahead and upgrade to .amynotes (using the utility of course)?

I definitely recommend working with technical support to make sure the backups were properly restored and everything is syncing again. They can walk you through the proper way to restore files and propagate the user files to your different Accordance installations. 

I’d say that the biggest cause for instability has been dealing with file extension changes in 10.3. However, the big advantage of dropbox syncing is the 30 day history of file changes and the ability to restore a previous version. 

Also, some temporary instability can occur when the sync history is “confused” by:

• multiple shared installations (release and beta)
  • not having the same sync settings across multiple installations
  • not keeping all installations in-sync
  • sample user content
  • trying to restore content through Time Machine, etc (outside of dropbox)

We need to do a better job of promoting “Dropbox syncing best practices” and I encourage you to use dropbox syncing and report any problems. 

Mike

Cool. I'll keep on trying to reach them. It's been kind of hard to catch them this time around for some reason. Thanks!

I'm am experiencing similar issues. I just tried to sync an ipad with my desktop Windows version and was getting through the syncing user notes to the point the ipad app said it was complete, but nothing was actually synced. No notes or highlights from the desktop were making it to the ipad.

I then followed the advice on another post by Fabian to go to the ios settings for the app and clear cache, reset etc...

I then went to sync from the ipad app and it reported 3 tasks, of which 2 completed, and is now hung on "final task."

But the worst part is that the desktop Accordance just notified me that 2 files were deleted from Dropbox.

So I went to Dropbox account and low and behold, the highlights and notes files were deleted, and nothing was left in the highlights or notes folder.

This does not look stable at all yet. Until this is fixed, not worth the risk.

An update from my last post.

After about 15 minutes, a highlight file did appear in the highlights folder on Dropbox.  However, the file that was in the trash is no longer there. Not sure this is the same file, because highlights that were present are no gone.

So it seems that things are not frozen on the app, but there is something operating that still needs to finish. Is it possible that the first time one syncs things can take long, and may depend on the library?

Waited for over an hour thinking that the notes file would reappear as well and didn't happen. Ipad still stuck on "Final task..." and no sign of my notes or highlights on either ipad or desktop.

Restored the note file on Dropbox and my notes are showing on the desktop Accordance. Sadly, looks like all my highlights though are gone, even though the file was somehow restored through the app syncing. Hope you can get this worked out soon. 

What desktop app version?

Edited by Scott Knapp

OK.  Thanks.  And to be clear, you haven't run any of the Aleph releases or the 12.0.3 betas recently?

Restored the note file on Dropbox and my notes are showing on the desktop Accordance. Sadly, looks like all my highlights though are gone, even though the file was somehow restored through the app syncing. Hope you can get this worked out soon. 

Based on your version and beta answers, I am really not sure what would cause the highlight files to be removed from Dropbox. Typically Dropbox keeps versions of your files for 30 days. So, when you look on Dropbox.com and tap the trash icon (to show deleted files), you don’t see your highlight files? If not, do you have a backup of your Accordance Files folder?

Also, not sure what could cause an extremely long delay in syncing Accordance user content other than file size. What is the largest User Note file size?

Mike

The files are all really small, as I just started with the program. Yes, it is odd behavior for sure. The ipad froze numerous times during syncing. The highlights and notes files from the desktop were in the trash, and I could restore them. However, they do not seem to be syncing onto the iOS device. I spoke with tech support last night and I think I will try to start from scratch with Dropbox and see if I can sync between my desktop and laptop, and then try the iOS again after that. Is there a place where the highlight and note files are on the ipad that OI can get to to restore them if they disappear again?

I am glad you made contact with tech support. It sounds like a good plan to first get your desktop and laptop in sync. Then make sure that everything is in order on dropbox.com (no duplicate files, etc.).

If there are no local changes on your iPad, then I would Reset User Content to unlink/relink with Dropbox and download fresh copies of your user content.

I believe that Accordance Mobile’s user content is part of the iTunes backup file in the container’s documents folder. There are third party apps to extract the files from these backups. Hopefully, using backup extraction software is a last resort...

If you get your iPad syncing again and sync regularly then dropbox should be the best way to recover missing/lost files using dropbox.com or the dropbox iOS app.

Mike