A. Smith

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

I own NA27GBS module (untagged) as well as Greek NT (Tagged) which is, according to the copyright info, the same text. However, while the text is the same, the typographical features are not. One very minor case in point is James 1.12-13. In the printed edition of NA27 and the NA27GBS module there is an elongated space between these two verses. This space indicates a subparagraph marker. Printed NA28 follows the same spacing at this verse. Again, however, NA28 Greek NT, a tagged text, does not have the spacing (or the majuscule beginning vs 13) as the printed editions and the NA27GBS does. The Greek NT (Tagged) preserves the majuscule but not the spacing.. 

My question is, what can be expected regarding the parity of these minor features between the printed text and the accordance modules? The NA text in particular is quite meticulously detailed and often the smallest typographical details (such as spacing or an odd majuscule) carry significance for understanding the text. If I were to get the NA28 Apparatus (which apparently includes the sigla of the printed text, along with the margin refs, etc) will the typesetting of the printed text also be maintained?

I know this is obscure, but it is significant for some kinds of study. Particularly if one is working solely from the electronic text without constant reference to the printed text. More to the point, I do not own a printed ed of NA28 and do not intend to purchase one if the module is sufficient in these details.

I've attached a screenshot of NA27GBS for reference to my rather confusing description.

Attached Files

Anthony Smith
First Church of Christ

Atlantic, IA

#2 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,431 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

We try to maintain the layout of the print edition as close as possible within Accordance. This is especially true for research oriented resources like these. I'm trying to track down the issue here. Can you give me another example of a place where this spacing occurs? 

Thanks.

Edited by Rick Bennett, 10 January 2017 - 06:38 PM.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development

#3 A. Smith

A. Smith

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

The same majuscule and spacing occur at James 2.5, Rom 1.24, 4.16, 18, 23, 5.6, and elsewhere. The verses I mentioned are those after the space. You'd have to look at the previous vs also to see the spacing.

Anthony Smith
First Church of Christ

Atlantic, IA

#4 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the other examples. After a bit of investigating I think I tracked down a way to correct this without having to look at each page. It's going to take a bit of time to work this in, and we already have some planned corrections to make in NA28 based on corrections in the latter printings.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick Bennett

#5 Solly

Solly

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Far too many for my own good! ;-)
  • Accordance Version:12.x

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

Ah, another fine example of the Accordance staff rapidly responding to an issue when that issue is brought to their attention. I think we have the real 'A Team'  here! :-)

Shalom,

Joseph

• EricC likes this

Joseph F Sollenberger Jr

#6 A. Smith

A. Smith

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the other examples. After a bit of investigating I think I tracked down a way to correct this without having to look at each page. It's going to take a bit of time to work this in, and we already have some planned corrections to make in NA28 based on corrections in the latter printings.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is great to hear, thanks! Just so that I'm clear, the full NA28 module w tagging, sigla, etc, does not include the spacings and majuscule as of now. But you're going to add them in a future update, is that correct? I'm asking because I don't own the full text with sigla and apparatus etc, only the NA28 text module. 

Anthony Smith
First Church of Christ

Atlantic, IA

#7 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

This is great to hear, thanks! Just so that I'm clear, the full NA28 module w tagging, sigla, etc, does not include the spacings and majuscule as of now. But you're going to add them in a future update, is that correct? I'm asking because I don't own the full text with sigla and apparatus etc, only the NA28 text module. 

NA27-GBS - has the spacing, but was replaced by NA27-T.

NA27-T does not

NA28-T does not

GNT28-T does not

We will add it to those that do not. Priority will be given to NA28-T, GNT28-T.

Rick Bennett

#8 A. Smith

A. Smith

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

NA27-GBS - has the spacing, but was replaced by NA27-T.

NA27-T does not

NA28-T does not

GNT28-T does not

We will add it to those that do not. Priority will be given to NA28-T, GNT28-T.

Makes sense, thanks.

edit, again. I was misreading the same phrase in vs 24 and got confused. Anyway, one more minor bit. At James 1.21 there is an important question about the relationship of ἐν πραΰτητι to the clause. The printed critical text places a comma after the phrase as does the modules based on NA27. But NA28 does not have a comma at all. 

I've also noticed that the online version of NA28 does not include any of the features I've noted missing from the accordance text. 

Edited by A. Smith, 11 January 2017 - 12:26 PM.

Anthony Smith
First Church of Christ

Atlantic, IA

#9 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Makes sense, thanks.

edit, again. I was misreading the same phrase in vs 24 and got confused. Anyway, one more minor bit. At James 1.21 there is an important question about the relationship of ἐν πραΰτητι to the clause. The printed critical text places a comma after the phrase as does the modules based on NA27. But NA28 does not have a comma at all. 

I've also noticed that the online version of NA28 does not include any of the features I've noted missing from the accordance text. 

re: James 1.21, the comma is not in the NA28 printed edition I compared against, nor is it listed as a correction anywhere. This must have been a change in this edition. 

Rick Bennett

#10 A. Smith

A. Smith

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

re: James 1.21, the comma is not in the NA28 printed edition I compared against, nor is it listed as a correction anywhere. This must have been a change in this edition.

Ok. Good to know. I've been avoiding buying a printed NA28 because I plan on getting the full module (assuming their comparable), so I don't have one to readily consult.

Anthony Smith
First Church of Christ

Atlantic, IA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users