Does Accordance support Hyper Thread CPU's

Fabian

Hello 

Does Accordance support Hyper Thread CPU's from Intel? I've just read an article that if the App doesn't support HT then it is slower if the CPU runs on HT than running on Single Thread.

Two ways to respond:

1) Every app that has threads supports HyperThreading. Whether they do it well or not is up to discussion and can cause the performance problems you allude to.

2) Accordance likely only uses much CPU during Research sessions across all resources. Based on my observations on an iMac 17,1 the Research function is far more I/O bound that CPU bound. It may be possible to become CPU bound given enough RAM and a fast enough disk (SSD or NAND), but even then, it doesn't appear the search algorithm used is actually parallelized, with most CPU time going to System time (red) and thus is used to handle I/O. Since the System (really the kernel and IOKit) are using the CPU, we can assume The Right Decisions® have been made with respect to HyperThreading or otherwise everyone would be suffering on the Mac platform.

In short, I don't think disabling HT is going to help much. You could always try it and report back.

Two ways to respond:

1) Every app that has threads supports HyperThreading. Whether they do it well or not is up to discussion and can cause the performance problems you allude to.

2) Accordance likely only uses much CPU during Research sessions across all resources. Based on my observations on an iMac 17,1 the Research function is far more I/O bound that CPU bound. It may be possible to become CPU bound given enough RAM and a fast enough disk (SSD or NAND), but even then, it doesn't appear the search algorithm used is actually parallelized, with most CPU time going to System time (red) and thus is used to handle I/O. Since the System (really the kernel and IOKit) are using the CPU, we can assume The Right Decisions® have been made with respect to HyperThreading or otherwise everyone would be suffering on the Mac platform.

In short, I don't think disabling HT is going to help much. You could always try it and report back.

Thanks