Hebrew text problems with cut/paste

JackiPowell

I have attached a screen shot of the Export preferences.  I think it is set correctly, but if not, let me know.

My skype ID is xxxx.  I don't know what you mean by PM.  Thanks.post-30604-0-57444000-1484511285_thumb.png

PM means Personal Messenger, so your Skype ID is not visible for everyone. 

You can send helen a Message if you click on her name above her image and then go to edit under your post and then you can delete your ID.

Jacki,
My experience has been that word 2011 was notoriously bad in pasting hebrew. There was a change in mac word 2015 that fixed the hebrew pasting issue. It's interesting that you haven't found the issue before because I gave up using word because of that problem (amongst others). Yes I understand that giving up word is not realistic for you. Have you tried W2015?

I am not on the tech team, just sharing my experience. To me, those preferences look alright.

You could also have a go at libreoffice (free) which is very good at having hebrew pasted into documents, and saves a very good word format document.

Michel, I apologize for anything I added to the discussion that might have confused the issues between Word and Accordance to an even worse degree. I am confident, however, that these issues will be addressed by our developers, hopefully soon. It seems that there may be multiple issues between Accordance and Word in play here. 

Screen sharing with Jacki isolated the problem. It's nothing to do with Word or Sierra and occurs in Accordance 11 and 12. If you select a word letter by letter you often get the Instant Details popover. While it is there, the command -c does not work and nothing is copied to the clipboard. Jacki was getting the popover often because of the way she selected the word, but fundamentally I think it is a bug in Accordance.

In Preferences Instant Details there is an option to set the delay on the click and hold. We didn't look at that, but I suspect, Jacki, that if you set it to Medium or Long you will be able to select your text without getting the popover.

Yes! The option was already at Medium, but I set it to Long and the select using the cursor is working now and copying.  Thank you so much for taking time to track it down.  Blessings!

Jacki, you can also disable the click and hold entirely in that same preference area, using Option-click to specify the instant details instead.

FWIW, I followed Helen's advice and then copied this from Acc (as a test case)

post-32543-0-24112700-1484600586_thumb.png

It pasted in Word 2016 as

post-32543-0-81913900-1484600598_thumb.png

on page 1 at the top, and as

post-32543-0-83299300-1484600610_thumb.png

on page 2 at the top.

In the other post I mentioned, users have some of the the same problems in Acc 12.

Now there is a combination of Jacki's issue (missing clipboard contents) and the paste over many pages issue.

MS Word is very famous for having extremely erratic pasting ability.  For years it did not support Hebrew in the slightest, and now it at least supports it minimally.  To clarify a few points:

1) The bug Rick has been referring to has nothing to do with Hebrew.  MS Word pushed out a recent update that caused automatic footnoting to be ignored, and this affected every program that did automatic footnoting.

2) Jacki's issue of missing clipboard contents was not "missing" at all, but simply that Command-C did not work as she expected because the Instant Details popover was opened, preventing the Command-C until she clicked.

3) Michel, your issue of split contents across multiple pages has not been seen on any other machine that I am aware of.  I regularly do a simple Command-C paste into MS Word without problem, as do thousands of our other users.  In addition, you already noted that pasting as rtf also works around the problem. It seems something specific to your Accordance, computer, or MS Word is causing a problem.  The best recommendation is to screenshare with us to help determine which of the components is not working right, or which combination of settings recreates the issue so it can be fixed on our end.

I am sorry you feel as though they get pushed to the back of the queue, but I can assure you this is not the case.  Our queue is quite long, so being pushed back to the queue would lead to significantly less frequent updates than you are experiencing now :) The fact of the matter is, we are not an infinitely sized and infinitely funded development team, so we must prioritize issues.  When an issue is posted that is unique to a single customer, non reproducible, and easily worked around, it naturally is not given as high of a priority as issues affecting many customers far more seriously.

That being said, I do not want you to feel discouraged - we read every forum post and take the comments of our users quite seriously.  This situation has a very clear solution, if you would rather not work around it all of the time: Contact tech support, and they will be able to either resolve the issue or find the common thread.  If the issue is common, after being identified it will be much easier (and thus a much higher priority) to fix.

FWIW, I followed Helen's advice and then copied this from Acc (as a test case)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-01-16 at 2.57.39 PM.png

It pasted in Word 2016 as

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-01-16 at 2.57.07 PM.png

on page 1 at the top, and as

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-01-16 at 2.57.24 PM.png

on page 2 at the top.

In the other post I mentioned, users have some of the the same problems in Acc 12.

Now there is a combination of Jacki's issue (missing clipboard contents) and the paste over many pages issue.

Joel: I have this too If I copy and paste over 2 and more row. Or if I have the Bible on paragraph an I copy and Paste with the verse numbering.

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

So that makes five of us with the split contents over multiple pages problem: Don Hunter, Fabian, Marshall Fant, Steve King, and me.

And Marshall and Don asked for a fix on Don's post.

• Like 1

Make that six of us. A straight copy and paste of Gen 1:1-8 into Word 2016 takes 10 pages for me. Paste special as RTF pastes it correctly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the updated information, Michel.  We do read every post and note issues as we can, but we certainly aren't perfect.  6 users reporting a problem should make it a bit easier to track down.  We'll take a look, thanks!

• Like 1

Hi,

Perhaps this will help. If I copy and paste into a User Note, and then copy from the User Note to Word, it pastes correctly with a simple paste, Cmd-v, or from the toolbar.

What's strange is that if you copy several Hebrew verses from Acc into a Note, it doesn't wrap correctly in the Note. But if you copy that and paste it into Word, it wraps correctly,

i.e., if you copy this:

post-32543-0-42708500-1484759626_thumb.png

it pastes as this:

post-32543-0-62735400-1484759637_thumb.png

My test case from the CDCH above pasted correctly from the User Note.

(As an aside: there is a missing י in verse 3 with all Unicode fonts)

Thanks.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1