• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

Hi!

I bought one or two e-books for Accordance, but came to the conclusion that the Kindle tablet is better for reading. That continuous scrolling is not good for long readings. App doesn't remember my reading progress, and my current location is not synced between the devices. You have to improve that, otherwise I find Kindle a better experience.

• J. Randal Corn likes this

“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

(retina MacBook Pro 15.4" (mid 2014) — Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. macOS Sierra, Accordance 12) 

#2 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

Hi Guntis.

What are you reading accordance on?

Im using both ipad pro and iphone 4s and the app remembers where i am and i find it particularly good on the ipad. I'm not synching between devices deliberately. Though i have a couple of resources in kindle which i didnt want to or cant get in accordance, i much prefer the accordance experience. Im using landscape and just scrolling with my thumbs and personally dont like the kindle fixed page breaks particularly where it breaks a paragraph, especially which appears to move as you go forwards and backwards not to mention the obvious absence of links. (Resources like the n t wright tomes i really appreciate seeing the whole paragraph in accordance and the ipad is never far from reach.)

Just as well we are all different.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser, 20 January 2017 - 09:07 AM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 9x on iPad pro and iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#3 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

Hi Guntis.

What are you reading accordance on?

Im using both ipad pro and iphone 4s and the app remembers where i am and i find it particularly good on the ipad. I'm not synching between devices deliberately. Though i have a couple of resources in kindle which i didnt want to or cant get in accordance, i much prefer the accordance experience. Im using landscape and just scrolling with my thumbs and personally dont like the kindle fixed page breaks particularly where it breaks a paragraph, especially which appears to move as you go forwards and backwards not to mention the obvious absence of links. (Resources like the n t wright tomes i really appreciate seeing the whole paragraph in accordance and the ipad is never far from reach.)

Just as well we are all different.

;o)

It's interesting, now when I've written that the app doesn't remember my reading progress, it does remember. :D Maybe I did something wrong. 

But endless scrolling —I don't like it for the book reading. I think that on the iOS devices there could be different mode for the book reading. Something more similar to the Kindle interface. Highlighting on the Kindle is a breeze (two taps —slide over text and choose color), on Accordance it's 4 tap process (select word, expand selection, choose highlighting, choose color). 

“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

(retina MacBook Pro 15.4" (mid 2014) — Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. macOS Sierra, Accordance 12) 

#4 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

It's interesting, now when I've written that the app doesn't remember my reading progress, it does remember. :D Maybe I did something wrong. 

But endless scrolling —I don't like it for the book reading. I think that on the iOS devices there could be different mode for the book reading. Something more similar to the Kindle interface. Highlighting on the Kindle is a breeze (two taps —slide over text and choose color), on Accordance it's 4 tap process (select word, expand selection, choose highlighting, choose color). 

"Siri, scroll down" 

Steps: But Accordance can more so more steps are unfortunately the consequences. 

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Sierra 10.12.5

Accordance 12.0.6 and waiting on 13 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone 4S

iOS 9.3.5

Accordance Mobile 2.5.5

#5 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,745 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Guntis, your patience is going to be rewarded, sooner rather than later. 

I can say no more at the moment. 

• Michael J. Bolesta, Don Adams and Benjamin Gladd like this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra beta

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10

iOS

2016 iPhone 7 Plus - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11 beta

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11 beta

#6 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

OK, thank you! I got your point! :)

#7 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

I do hope you have considered airturn to set your hands free

http://www.airturn.c...luetooth-pedals

Or when presenting using accordance and want a hand held device

http://www.airturn.c...andheld-remotes

;o)

I use my foot switch all the time when leading services, liturgy, sermons, prayers and music.

Edited by ukfraser, 20 January 2017 - 03:13 PM.

• Stefan Green, Fabian and Ιακοβ like this
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 9x on iPad pro and iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#8 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Remembering and saving where we are up to in any panel in any workspace would be a great feature. 

However, changing how scrolling works would certainly make me quite unhappy. (Scrolling differences was actually why I switched from being a Logos user to an Accordance user)

When you have "page" emulation, you have this problem where you can only see half of a sentence at the bottom of the screen. With scrolling you can move the text up to always be able to see ahead of you when you are reading.

Edited by Ιακοβ, 20 January 2017 - 05:04 PM.

• ukfraser likes this

#9 Scott Knapp

Scott Knapp

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,436 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Page turning will be an additional option rather than a replacement to scrolling.
  • Michael J. Bolesta, Julia Falling, Paul Meiklejohn and 1 other like this

#10 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Page turning will be an additional option rather than a replacement to scrolling.

Yes, that's good solution. Removal of scrolling wouldn't be wise decision at all. Almost all other resources benefit from the scrolling.

#11 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Page turning will be nice, but I confess that anything I can get in Accordance I get in Accordance – Kindle comes in second place for the following reasons –

• No Scripture links in Kindle.  A huge loss.
  • Often poor formatting on Kindle – words divided in odd places, messed up indentation.  Basically it looks like a really bad job of editing.
  • On the Kindle, I often turn a page a end up with a missing line.  I usually go back a page, resize the text, and try again.  That makes for a very poor reading experience.
  • Amazon is lousy at getting stuff fixed.  I've contacted them numerous times, given bad reviews for good books if the formatting is crummy.  I really don't like to complain.  Or rant.  But I have not been satisfied with formatting, particularly of older books.  If I were able to do so, I'd get all my money back from Amazon for some authors (light reading that I reread) and rebuy in iBooks.  Amazon doesn't seem to be all that concerned about getting it right.

These are issues rarely faced in Accordance.  And if something does need correction, it gets fixed.  

• Lester P. Bagley likes this
Julia Falling

MacBook Air Sierra Acc 12
mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)
8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Sierra Acc 12
late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
16 GB RAM; 1.12 TB Fusion Drive

iPad Pro iOS 10
128 GB
iAccord 2.5

iPhone 6s iOS 10
64 GB
iAccord 2.5

#12 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

For me iBooks is not a good choice. https://www.accordan...ols/#entry99424

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Sierra 10.12.5

Accordance 12.0.6 and waiting on 13 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone 4S

iOS 9.3.5

Accordance Mobile 2.5.5

#13 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

I agree. It seems to me that some older books are just scanned in with almost no human interaction. Even several years later Amazon still hasn't bridged Kindle for iOS and Mac book collections syncing. Mac app has its own book collection which doesn't sync with the iOS devices, can't be sorted alphabetically, can't be rearranged in any way. It's displayed in its creation order, only. No text copying allowed. Sometimes these limitations drive me crazy. Error reporting is enabled only on the Kindle e-reader. The list goes on and on. But - I still find it easier to read on the Kindle…
If Accordance could add specific book reading mode where I could highlight words by two taps and flip pages, I'm sure I'd switch. Although… i have heavily invested in the Kindle format. More than 600 books...

#14 J. Randal Corn

J. Randal Corn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

When you say sooner, is that months or years?

#15 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:24 AM

Hopefully a few months?… still feels a long long time! 😄

#16 Scott Knapp

Scott Knapp

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,436 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Months.

#17 J. Randal Corn

J. Randal Corn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Thanks!

#18 J. Randal Corn

J. Randal Corn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PM

I hate to be a nag, but it has been four months.  Any guess about the release date?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, reading mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users