Book reading mode improvement

Guntis

Hi!

I bought one or two e-books for Accordance, but came to the conclusion that the Kindle tablet is better for reading. That continuous scrolling is not good for long readings. App doesn't remember my reading progress, and my current location is not synced between the devices. You have to improve that, otherwise I find Kindle a better experience.

• Like 1

Hi Guntis.

What are you reading accordance on?

Im using both ipad pro and iphone 4s and the app remembers where i am and i find it particularly good on the ipad. I'm not synching between devices deliberately. Though i have a couple of resources in kindle which i didnt want to or cant get in accordance, i much prefer the accordance experience. Im using landscape and just scrolling with my thumbs and personally dont like the kindle fixed page breaks particularly where it breaks a paragraph, especially which appears to move as you go forwards and backwards not to mention the obvious absence of links. (Resources like the n t wright tomes i really appreciate seeing the whole paragraph in accordance and the ipad is never far from reach.)

Just as well we are all different.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Hi Guntis.

What are you reading accordance on?

Im using both ipad pro and iphone 4s and the app remembers where i am and i find it particularly good on the ipad. I'm not synching between devices deliberately. Though i have a couple of resources in kindle which i didnt want to or cant get in accordance, i much prefer the accordance experience. Im using landscape and just scrolling with my thumbs and personally dont like the kindle fixed page breaks particularly where it breaks a paragraph, especially which appears to move as you go forwards and backwards not to mention the obvious absence of links. (Resources like the n t wright tomes i really appreciate seeing the whole paragraph in accordance and the ipad is never far from reach.)

Just as well we are all different.

;o)

It's interesting, now when I've written that the app doesn't remember my reading progress, it does remember. :D Maybe I did something wrong. 

But endless scrolling —I don't like it for the book reading. I think that on the iOS devices there could be different mode for the book reading. Something more similar to the Kindle interface. Highlighting on the Kindle is a breeze (two taps —slide over text and choose color), on Accordance it's 4 tap process (select word, expand selection, choose highlighting, choose color). 

• Like 1

It's interesting, now when I've written that the app doesn't remember my reading progress, it does remember. :D Maybe I did something wrong. 

But endless scrolling —I don't like it for the book reading. I think that on the iOS devices there could be different mode for the book reading. Something more similar to the Kindle interface. Highlighting on the Kindle is a breeze (two taps —slide over text and choose color), on Accordance it's 4 tap process (select word, expand selection, choose highlighting, choose color). 

"Siri, scroll down" 

Steps: But Accordance can more so more steps are unfortunately the consequences. 

Guntis, your patience is going to be rewarded, sooner rather than later. 

I can say no more at the moment. 

• Like 3

OK, thank you! I got your point! :)

I do hope you have considered airturn to set your hands free

http://www.airturn.com/bluetooth-pedals

Or when presenting using accordance and want a hand held device

http://www.airturn.com/handheld-remotes

;o)

I use my foot switch all the time when leading services, liturgy, sermons, prayers and music.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

Remembering and saving where we are up to in any panel in any workspace would be a great feature. 

However, changing how scrolling works would certainly make me quite unhappy. (Scrolling differences was actually why I switched from being a Logos user to an Accordance user)

When you have "page" emulation, you have this problem where you can only see half of a sentence at the bottom of the screen. With scrolling you can move the text up to always be able to see ahead of you when you are reading.

Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 1

Page turning will be an additional option rather than a replacement to scrolling.

• Like 4

Page turning will be an additional option rather than a replacement to scrolling.

Yes, that's good solution. Removal of scrolling wouldn't be wise decision at all. Almost all other resources benefit from the scrolling.

Page turning will be nice, but I confess that anything I can get in Accordance I get in Accordance – Kindle comes in second place for the following reasons –

• No Scripture links in Kindle.  A huge loss.
  • Often poor formatting on Kindle – words divided in odd places, messed up indentation.  Basically it looks like a really bad job of editing.
  • On the Kindle, I often turn a page a end up with a missing line.  I usually go back a page, resize the text, and try again.  That makes for a very poor reading experience.
  • Amazon is lousy at getting stuff fixed.  I've contacted them numerous times, given bad reviews for good books if the formatting is crummy.  I really don't like to complain.  Or rant.  But I have not been satisfied with formatting, particularly of older books.  If I were able to do so, I'd get all my money back from Amazon for some authors (light reading that I reread) and rebuy in iBooks.  Amazon doesn't seem to be all that concerned about getting it right.

These are issues rarely faced in Accordance.  And if something does need correction, it gets fixed.  

• Like 1

I agree. It seems to me that some older books are just scanned in with almost no human interaction. Even several years later Amazon still hasn't bridged Kindle for iOS and Mac book collections syncing. Mac app has its own book collection which doesn't sync with the iOS devices, can't be sorted alphabetically, can't be rearranged in any way. It's displayed in its creation order, only. No text copying allowed. Sometimes these limitations drive me crazy. Error reporting is enabled only on the Kindle e-reader. The list goes on and on. But - I still find it easier to read on the Kindle…

If Accordance could add specific book reading mode where I could highlight words by two taps and flip pages, I'm sure I'd switch. Although… i have heavily invested in the Kindle format. More than 600 books...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When you say sooner, is that months or years?

Hopefully a few months?… still feels a long long time!

• 5 months later...

I hate to be a nag, but it has been four months.  Any guess about the release date?

The highlighting changes have been implemented which is what I think Rick was mostly alluding to. Obviously still waiting for the page turning option.

Highlighting changes are brilliant. Just what was needed.

Many thanks.

Yes it is a really good solution. Glad they kept the original as well as the new. There are certain instances where the 'old way' is easier to use, but if you are reading and highlighting sections as you go it is much better.