• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone could suggest me good dictionary or some other resource about the ancient culture. Today I wanted to find something about the fishermen, couldn't find anything in my dictionaries. I did't want to find who of the disciples were former fishermen. What I was looking for — were fishermen educated or not (probable the latter), were they rich or poor, their status in the society, etc. Something about ancient culture / society setting. Standard dictionaries don't answer these kinds of questions. 

“Teach the way of God in Accordance” (Matt 12:14, NIV-Accordance edition)
“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

(retina MacBook Pro 15.4" (mid 2014) — Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. macOS Sierra, Accordance 12) 

#2 Fabian

Fabian

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

Thats the best I found with fishermen <within 10 words> educated

It is not unreasonable to believe that 2 Peter is pseudepigraphical, although Bauckham assumes the pseudepigraphical character of 2 Peter as being incontrovertible, which in our mind goes beyond the evidence. While it is not unreasonable to believe that 2 Peter is pseudepigraphical, one comes to this conclusion by making assumptions about Simon Peter that, while they are reasonable, are not the only reasonable assumptions that one could make.49 The fact is that we do not know enough of Simon Peter’s history to know whether or not he could have written 2 Peter (and, if so, whether he could also have written 1 Peter). Given that we cannot be fully convinced one way or the other, one wonders how the first–century reader (or second century, if one dates 2 Peter that late) could be clear that it was pseudepigraphical, that it was a testament, and that therefore it did not intend to be anything other than

Peter H. Davids, The Letters of 2 Peter and Jude, PNTC; Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2006), 149.

accord://read/Pillar_NTC3#48575

49. These assumptions are that as a fisherman he would not have been educated, or, if educated, that his Greek education would not have been sufficient to write 2 Peter, that 2 Peter shows too much familiarity with Greco-Roman philosophy for a Galilean fisherman, and so on.

Peter H. Davids, The Letters of 2 Peter and Jude, PNTC; Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2006), 158.

accord://read/Pillar_NTC3#48676

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Sierra 10.12.4

Accordance 12.0.3 and waiting on 13 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone 4S

iOS 9.3.5

Accordance Mobile 2.4.5

#3 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Saw this in eerdmans under fishing which confirms your suspicions.

;o)

But its not definitive, nothing on shepherds

;o(

Dont have it but wondered if this is the sort of resource that may help, hopefully those who have it could comment.

https://www.accordan...P-NT Background

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

Edited by ukfraser, 20 January 2017 - 10:04 AM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 9x on iPad pro and iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#4 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Theology, music, art,  gadgets, photography, etc... Enjoy reading good books.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

Saw this in eerdmans under fishing which confirms your suspicions.
;o)
But its not definitive, nothing on shepherds
;o(
Dont have it but wondered if this is the sort of resource that may help, hopefully those who have it could comment.
https://www.accordan...P-NT Background

Thank you! I also have IVP NT Background dictionary. Also found this, but this is just 2 sentences. I was wondering if some other resource could have something more comprehensive on this topic?

“Those who live in Accordance (with the Spirit) have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.” (Rom 8:5, NIV-Accordance edition)

(retina MacBook Pro 15.4" (mid 2014) — Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. macOS Sierra, Accordance 12) 

#5 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Thats the best I found with fishermen <within 10 words> educated

49. These assumptions are that as a fisherman he would not have been educated, or, if educated, that his Greek education would not have been sufficient to write 2 Peter, that 2 Peter shows too much familiarity with Greco-Roman philosophy for a Galilean fisherman, and so on.

Thank you! I just wonder if «Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament» could be the kind of resource I am looking for? Anyone have it?

#6 Fabian

Fabian

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Thank you! I just wonder if «Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament» could be the kind of resource I am looking for? Anyone have it?

I was thinking the same. And yes I have it. But it refers only to fisherman was "educated" for fishing well on the sea Galilee. (my words)

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Sierra 10.12.4

iPhone 4S

iOS 9.3.5

Accordance Mobile 2.4.5

#7 Guntis

Guntis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

I was thinking the same. And yes I have it. But it refers only to fisherman was "educated" for fishing well on the sea Galilee. (my words)

ukfraser suggested me «NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible». It had 9 lines about the fishermen. At least little bit more. Now I have some vague understanding about them. 

#8 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

Im on the zondervan mailing list and happened to get a notification that their ebook version was on offer. Its all about timing.

;o)

https://www.harperco...ds-study-bible/

Edited by ukfraser, 20 January 2017 - 04:46 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 9x on iPad pro and iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#9 Fabian

Fabian

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

I'm sure this will come to Accordance too.

Greetings

Fabian

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Sierra 10.12.4

iPhone 4S

iOS 9.3.5

Accordance Mobile 2.4.5

#10 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hi Guntis,

I think you want something like a "daily life in biblical times" kind of treatment. I don't have one and I checked the various Acc resources I have and only found fragments here and there. I had a look on the web a bit and found this : http://journals.sage...610799702700304. It is not on education but on the Galilean fishing industry in NT times. It was published in Biblical Theology Bulletin: Journal of Bible and Culture. In any case it has a lot of references listed. Perhaps it may be of some help. I have not read it yet but skimming it did look interesting.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 11.1.6 and 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Professional x64

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dictionary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users