Dictionary suggestion

Guntis

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone could suggest me good dictionary or some other resource about the ancient culture. Today I wanted to find something about the fishermen, couldn't find anything in my dictionaries. I did't want to find who of the disciples were former fishermen. What I was looking for — were fishermen educated or not (probable the latter), were they rich or poor, their status in the society, etc. Something about ancient culture / society setting. Standard dictionaries don't answer these kinds of questions. 

Thats the best I found with fishermen <within 10 words> educated

It is not unreasonable to believe that 2 Peter is pseudepigraphical, although Bauckham assumes the pseudepigraphical character of 2 Peter as being incontrovertible, which in our mind goes beyond the evidence. While it is not unreasonable to believe that 2 Peter is pseudepigraphical, one comes to this conclusion by making assumptions about Simon Peter that, while they are reasonable, are not the only reasonable assumptions that one could make.49 The fact is that we do not know enough of Simon Peter’s history to know whether or not he could have written 2 Peter (and, if so, whether he could also have written 1 Peter). Given that we cannot be fully convinced one way or the other, one wonders how the first–century reader (or second century, if one dates 2 Peter that late) could be clear that it was pseudepigraphical, that it was a testament, and that therefore it did not intend to be anything other than

Peter H. Davids, The Letters of 2 Peter and Jude, PNTC; Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2006), 149.

accord://read/Pillar_NTC3#48575

49. These assumptions are that as a fisherman he would not have been educated, or, if educated, that his Greek education would not have been sufficient to write 2 Peter, that 2 Peter shows too much familiarity with Greco-Roman philosophy for a Galilean fisherman, and so on.

Peter H. Davids, The Letters of 2 Peter and Jude, PNTC; Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2006), 158.

accord://read/Pillar_NTC3#48676

Saw this in eerdmans under fishing which confirms your suspicions.

;o)

But its not definitive, nothing on shepherds

;o(

Dont have it but wondered if this is the sort of resource that may help, hopefully those who have it could comment.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=IVP-NT+Background

Edited by ukfraser

Saw this in eerdmans under fishing which confirms your suspicions.

;o)

But its not definitive, nothing on shepherds

;o(

Dont have it but wondered if this is the sort of resource that may help, hopefully those who have it could comment.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=IVP-NT+Background

Thank you! I also have IVP NT Background dictionary. Also found this, but this is just 2 sentences. I was wondering if some other resource could have something more comprehensive on this topic?

Thats the best I found with fishermen <within 10 words> educated

49. These assumptions are that as a fisherman he would not have been educated, or, if educated, that his Greek education would not have been sufficient to write 2 Peter, that 2 Peter shows too much familiarity with Greco-Roman philosophy for a Galilean fisherman, and so on.

Thank you! I just wonder if «Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament» could be the kind of resource I am looking for? Anyone have it?

Thank you! I just wonder if «Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament» could be the kind of resource I am looking for? Anyone have it?

I was thinking the same. And yes I have it. But it refers only to fisherman was "educated" for fishing well on the sea Galilee. (my words)

I was thinking the same. And yes I have it. But it refers only to fisherman was "educated" for fishing well on the sea Galilee. (my words)

ukfraser suggested me «NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible». It had 9 lines about the fishermen. At least little bit more. Now I have some vague understanding about them. 

Im on the zondervan mailing list and happened to get a notification that their ebook version was on offer. Its all about timing.

;o)

https://www.harpercollinschristian.com/zondervan-releases-niv-cultural-backgrounds-study-bible/

Edited by ukfraser

Hi Guntis,

I think you want something like a "daily life in biblical times" kind of treatment. I don't have one and I checked the various Acc resources I have and only found fragments here and there. I had a look on the web a bit and found this : http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/014610799702700304. It is not on education but on the Galilean fishing industry in NT times. It was published in Biblical Theology Bulletin: Journal of Bible and Culture. In any case it has a lot of references listed. Perhaps it may be of some help. I have not read it yet but skimming it did look interesting.

Thx

D