Shortcut changed behavior after update

circuitrider

Not sure which update caused the change. I believe one of the last two.

I have a few global shortcuts setup to open customized workspaces. In the past when I would use the shortcut it would open a partícular workspace. If I used that shortcut it would open another iteration of the same workspace. I could open as many of the same workspaces I desired just by using the shortcut. Now the shortcut will only open a new workspace once. If I want to open another of the same workspace I have to navigate to proper menu. If I have two or more of the same workspaces open, the shortcut will only toggle through those particular workspaces associated with that one shortcut.

Was this an intentional change or a bug?

Thanks!

have you checked the preference which now allows you to customize your own shortcuts?

Martin,

Thanks for the tip!  I hadn't noticed the shortcuts preference.  However I cannot see anything for customized workspaces.

After more looking into it, I can see that Accordance will let me open two of some of my customized workspaces via the global shortcut.  After the second (of the same) workspace is open the shortcut begins to toggle between them.

There is one global shortcut that will open a particular workspace as many times as I want it to - this is how the global shortcuts used to work.

I can live with the way it is working now but just wanted to get it out there that one of the recent updates has changed in app global shortcut behavior, for me at least.

I'm not an expert. But I think if you can find it in the menu. There are at least two ways you can do:

1. use the Mac shortcut customization to set up your own shortcuts. It is located at System Preference → keyboard → shortcuts → app shortcuts (I'm not using English as system language; the exact term may vary).

2. use third party app such as Keyboard Maestro to set up your own shortcuts.

• Like 1

I'm not an expert. But I think if you can find it in the menu. There are at least two ways you can do:

1. use the Mac shortcut customization to set up your own shortcuts. It is located at System Preference → keyboard → shortcuts → app shortcuts (I'm not using English as system language; the exact term may vary).

2. use third party app such as Keyboard Maestro to set up your own shortcuts.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

How did you define the Shortcut?  If you are trying to use the System Preference and mapping it simply to the workspace name, you'll have a conflict between File -> Open Workspace and the Windows menu list once it is already open.  I can't think of anything that would have changed in regards to this recently.

Frankly, if you are looking for a way to open a workspace at a keystroke, I would look into a system automation tool that can bind the shortcut to the actual workspace file in the Finder, opening it.  This would be the most reliable, IMO.  You should be able to even do it without 3rd party applications by creating an Automator action.

• Like 1

Hello Joel,

I have several shortcuts for the my customized workspaces.  My most used shortcuts are ⌥⇧⌘B, ⌥⇧⌘W.  I have these setup in the through Mac System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts.  The ⌥⇧⌘B is the one that opens only two iterations of the same workspace then it will just toggle.  The ⌥⇧⌘W will open many iterations.  

They do work, it just seems the behavior is different with the ⌥⇧⌘B.  

Again, this is dealing with unexpected system behavior.  There is a collision between the two workspace options once one is open, so the System is guessing which one to choose - all entirely out of our power.  If you set up an automation action to actually open the file, it will work much more consistently.

Again, this is dealing with unexpected system behavior.  There is a collision between the two workspace options once one is open, so the System is guessing which one to choose - all entirely out of our power.  If you set up an automation action to actually open the file, it will work much more consistently.

I took your advice and used an automation via the Alfred App.  Works better than using the Mac Global Shortcut method.

Thanks!

• Like 1