Intuitive Search

Ed Cross

I keep repeating the same mistake in using the program. I forget to click on verse when looking for verses and get a select word dialog box which of course you have to then cancel, select verse and click ok again. Would it be possible for the search function to be a little more intuitive so that if you wrote in a verse search it would know that you are looking for verses rather than words. Couldn't the numeric part be used to indicate that it is a verse search rather than a word search?

Pastor Ed Cross

Ed,

We're planning to do just that in an upcoming rev. It would, however, require that you enter a full reference with a chapter and verse(s). It's the colon which would be used as the mark of a Scripture reference.

In the meantime, one shortcut that has proved helpful for me is ; (command-semicolon), which switches from verse to word.

Ed,

We're planning to do just that in an upcoming rev. It would, however, require that you enter a full reference with a chapter and verse(s). It's the colon which would be used as the mark of a Scripture reference.

David,

How would this work if you wanted to view the whole chapter? Currently verse searches will not allow you to end the search with a colon James 2:

Will this limitation be removed in the new search?

Pastor Ed Cross

In the meantime, one shortcut that has proved helpful for me is ; (command-semicolon), which switches from verse to word.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. However, if I forget to click the verse button, it is doubtful that I will remember the shortcut let alone to use it.

Pastor Ed Cross

Ed,

If you wanted to see a whole chapter, you would need to enter James 2:1f. "f" or "ff" after a verse reference will show all verses to the end of a chapter.

The reason we must use a colon to identify a verse reference is that "James 2" could be interpreted as a phrase search, as in "I gave James 2 apples."

David,

Thanks that will be fine and actually works in the verse search currently, so I can get use to the format. I realize that a phrase like "I gave James 2 apples" would never occur in the scriptures, but may in other resources, so your implementation makes perfect sense.

I look forward to the next release.

Pastor Ed Cross

Archived