Mikraot Gedalot no longer in Accordance?

theblackbluejay

Wasn't there about 2 years ago several volumes of the Mikraot Gedolot in Accordance?  The Pentateuch Volumes?  Does anyone know why these are no longer available?

Thanks, 

David

David,

The module is called Commentators' Bible.

Gordon 

Our Price: 249.00 List:
(Save $51.00 or 17%)
Add
Commentators’ Bible, The (Set of 4 Volumes)

Four volumes of the acclaimed English edition of Miqra’ot Gedolot; translated and annotated by Michael Carasik. Now, for the first time,...

more

Four volumes of the acclaimed English edition of Miqra’ot Gedolot; translated and annotated by Michael Carasik. Now, for the first time, Miqra’ot Gedolot is available in an accessible English edition. This bundle includes volumes covering Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. First published 500 years ago as the “Rabbinic Bible,” the biblical commentaries known as Miqra’ot Gedolot have inspired and educated generations of Hebrew readers. With this edition, the voices of Rashi, Ibn Ezra, Nahmanides, Rashbam, and other medieval Bible commentators come alive once more, speaking in a contemporary English translation annotated and explicated for lay readers. Each section of this commentary series begins with a set of introductory questions provided by Isaac Abarbanel. Then each verse is expounded by the commentary of the rabbis (Rashi, Rashbam, Ibn Ezra, Hahmanides). Those rabbinic commentaries are then followed by explanatory notes and selected additional comments from the works of Bekhor Shor, Hizkuni, Abarbanel, Sforno, Gersonides, and others. Major Commentators: Rashi — Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac (1040–1105) Rashbam — Rabbi Samuel ben Meir (ca. 1085–ca. 1174) Ibn Ezra — Rabbi Abraham ibn Ezra (1089–1164) Nahmanides — Rabbi Moses ben Nahman (1195–ca. 1270) The Additional Commentators: The Masorah dating from the second half of the first millennium C.E. Bekhor Shor — Joseph ben Isaac Bekhor Shor (12th c.) Kimhi — Rabbi David Kimhi (1160?–1235?) Hizkuni — Rabbi Hezekiah ben Manoḥ (mid–13th c.) Gersonides — Rabbi Levi ben Gershom (1288–1344) Abarbanel — Don Isaac Abarbanel (1437–1508) Sforno — Obadiah ben Jacob Sforno (1470–1550) Note: While the printed version of this publication includes 1) the Hebrew text of the Bible, and 2) two Bible translations (the old Jewish Publication Society translation of 1917 and the new JPS translation of 1985), this module does not contain the actual Hebrew text or translations. It contains all the Notes, Commentary, Editorial Annotations, and Special Topics of the printed version.  The commentary of this module can be linked to run in parallel with any Accordance Bible translation. Endorsement:“Anyone who is unfamiliar with medieval commentary, or who is unable to study the commentators in the original Hebrew, will find The Commentators’ Bible a worthy addition to their book shelves. Carasik has done a real service making this material available.” – The Reporter You may also be interested in: Carasik's podcast site, The Bible Guy The Bible's Many Voices also by Carasik Carasik's podcast site, The Bible's Many Voices

less
  • Like 3

Thanks!  I had forgotten what the name of the module was and only remembered the content.  Glad to see that it is still available after all!

Thanks, 

David

• 2 years later...

Is there any chance of getting the original Hebrew version of Miqra'ot G'dolot in Accordance. That would be helpful for studies in Rabbinic literature when you want to trace the use of a specific term or phrase. Also, I have showed Accordance to several students here at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, and while they all think it's pretty neat, they have all mentioned the same thing. It looks like it's mostly useful for English speakers. It would be nice to be able to add in some native Hebrew resources as well. 

Just a thought. 

• Like 9

We have tried to get the Bar Ilan version but it is currently not available for licensing. If you know of another good etext, we will be happy to look into it.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We have tried to get the Bar Ilan version but it is currently not available for licensing. If you know of another good etext, we will be happy to look into it.

Maybe Mossad HaRav Kook’s version.

Or I wonder if Sefaria would share some of their texts/licenses with you.

Adam

• Like 3

+1

• 7 months later...

The best Mikraot Gedolot is now the מקראות גדולות הכתר, which is also available online for free: https://www.mgketer.org/

• Like 5

Maybe Mossad HaRav Kook’s version.

Or I wonder if Sefaria would share some of their texts/licenses with you.

Adam

See here  post-32723-0-49421800-1580916662_thumb.png It leads to  GitHub

Will OakTree? is the question.

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 3

The best Mikraot Gedolot is now the מקראות גדולות הכתר, which is also available online for free: https://www.mgketer.org/

Danke auf die Software bin ich letztens auch gestossen, wusste das aber nicht.

• Like 1

Couple years ago Oz-Vehadar published מקראות גדולות המבואר in 12 volumes. These are the most used by in my home. They did an outstanding work. The text of all מפורשים are based on manuscripts and first printings. You get the Rashi, Ramban, Ibn Ezra, Rashbam, Onkelos, Pseudo-Jonathan, Neofiti, Baal haTurim, Or haChajim and Kli Jakar. Plus they added a commentary on them. That means that you have a commentary on the Onkelos, Pseudo-Jonathan, Baal Haturim, Neofiti, Rashi, Ramban, Ibn Ezra, Rashbam and so on. The commentaries are very detailed and really good. I just love these books! And I paid only 320€ for them.

Some examples: 

post-35970-0-63678200-1581202014_thumb.jpg

post-35970-0-92441000-1581202032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mendel
  • Like 1

Yes Mendel, very nice.  Would be great to have.  But for something that is more complete than say, Michael Carasik's "The Commentators' Bible" (which of course, is an abridged English version of the Miqraot Gedolot), I feel like you're getting into an area where it would just be better to have the full perushim, since the Miqraot Gedolot--no matter how "complete" (or unabridged), still doesn't have the full comments on every verse.

I'm sure you are familiar with the databases like Bar-Ilan, Otzar HaPoskim, etc., and while I'd love to have a way to stick them into Accordance, I'm not getting my hopes too high on that for reasons I'm sure you understand.  BUT, on the other hand, it would be great if Accordance could amplify their "Rabbinic bundle" with more of the perushim texts from, say, Sefaria.org.  I don't see why that couldn't be done.

Then, you wouldn't be left wondering if Ramban's (et al.) comment on a particular verse in the Miqraot Gedolot was incomplete, or abridged.  Anyway, I'd be glad to have pretty much anything rabbinic added to Accordance.  I just wonder if going for complete texts from a place like Sefaria.org might be a better avenue.  Fun discussion.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

Yes Mendel, very nice.  Would be great to have.  But for something that is more complete than say, Michael Carasik's "The Commentators' Bible" (which of course, is an abridged English version of the Miqraot Gedolot), I feel like you're getting into an area where it would just be better to have the full perushim, since the Miqraot Gedolot--no matter how "complete" (or unabridged), still doesn't have the full comments on every verse.

I'm sure you are familiar with the databases like Bar-Ilan, Otzar HaPoskim, etc., and while I'd love to have a way to stick them into Accordance, I'm not getting my hopes too high on that for reasons I'm sure you understand.  BUT, on the other hand, it would be great if Accordance could amplify their "Rabbinic bundle" with more of the perushim texts from, say, Sefaria.org.  I don't see why that couldn't be done.

Then, you wouldn't be left wondering if Ramban's (et al.) comment on a particular verse in the Miqraot Gedolot was incomplete, or abridged.  Anyway, I'd be glad to have pretty much anything rabbinic added to Accordance.  I just wonder if going for complete texts from a place like Sefaria.org might be a better avenue.  Fun discussion.

As a Logos user I compiled all available English and Hebrew commentaries available on Sefaria since Logos offers the possibility to import personal books (I don't know if Accordance does).

post-35970-0-64145800-1581367696_thumb.jpg

But you need to bear in mind that Sefaria texts are not high quality texts (with my German texts I give my best). They are scanned texts with full of typos and they lack a critical edition. The best free to access Mikraot Gedolot is the Keter by Prof. Menachem Cohen (link posted above). It is a critical edition that goes back to manuscripts and first printings, additional it has the full Masora and a commentary on the Masora. The texts are there, online, if Accordance would make the effort to get a license, that would be wonderful. 

Edited by Mendel
  • Like 3

to import personal books  (I don't know if Accordance does).

It's truly not in my nature to sound like a broken record, but to the dear Accordance staff: this is what makes my blood boil.  We are now 4 months into v. 13, and I still have a list of about seven outstanding problems / bugs with the PDF / HTML import feature (particularly being a Windows user, as I was told), which have not been resolved (i.e. not even one of the seven has been resolved), and which effectively keep me from

1) importing texts with even decent quality, or

2) editing them in Accordance once I've imported them (!).  I.e. a true dead-end.

And here, I speak not of complicated foreign language texts being imported, but the most clear, and simple English text, even after I've taken pains to "prim" and "polish" the document to make it something a 1st grader could read.

I mean, I truly hate to complain, but not even one of seven issues has been fixed... in 4 months?  What does this say to me as the user?  I try to remain positive, and I will be greatly, greatly appreciate for help to this issue.  But Mendel's post above sure makes the competition look mighty attractive right now.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 3

sure makes the competition look mighty attractive right now.

They are fully attractive when you see the import features. And Verse mappings. And they are since years fully unicode. Edited by Fabian

While I much desire much features for import and more robust import functionality, it is only fair to recall that Accordance still has one indispensable advantage in import. That is that imported resources sync to mobile devices (iOS now, Android someday). This was an important factor in my choice to move from BibleWorks to Accordance instead of the L competition. At that time I read in their forums that they had no plans to bring user content to mobile platforms. It seems that's still the case, since the Wiki page linked above says that uploading your content to their servers will sync it to your other desktop installations. The competition can have the best import in the world, but if I can't get the resulting file onto my iPad, it's not much use to me, since that's where I do most of my reading.

I've found Accordance RTF import for notes very robust. It reads Unicode and has never crashed or mangled the imported data. I wish it handled more formatting, but I understand why it doesn't and I accept that limitation, at least for the present.

I found Accordance Bible import surprisingly fragile in comparison to Accordance RTF import and to my experience with BibleWorks. It also compares unfavorably with the latter in terms of features, even if I think of what BibleWorks could do 20 years ago: no Unicode then, but you could use new book names, define verse mappings, and add Strong's numbers or morphology.

As far as User Tools go, the only bug that has bitten me is misplaced search hit markers. I had trouble with apostrophes disappearing because of encoding issues, but that seems to be resolved now. If I made more Tools, I probably would have encountered the bugs others have, but I haven't seen enough of an advantage to making User Tools rather than ePubs at this point.

Edited by jlm
  • Like 1

As for the Sefaria texts, if I understand correctly from the screenshot that they're commentary tied to verses, it should be technically possible to get them into Accordance via User Notes import. You just have to get each verse comment into an appropriately named RTF file , e.g., "Exodus 7_5.rtf". I have a workflow based on Markdown for splitting and converting a commentary into multiple RTF files. See https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/25816-converting-a-commentary-to-user-notes/

However, this is a tool I built for my own use. It runs from the command line and requires pandoc and other software to be installed. The Windows command line used to be fairly primitive, and so could make this more difficult unless things have changed.

• Like 1

As for the Sefaria texts, if I understand correctly from the screenshot that they're commentary tied to verses, it should be technically possible to get them into Accordance via User Notes import. You just have to get each verse comment into an appropriately named RTF file , e.g., "Exodus 7_5.rtf". I have a workflow based on Markdown for splitting and converting a commentary into multiple RTF files. See https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/25816-converting-a-commentary-to-user-notes/

However, this is a tool I built for my own use. It runs from the command line and requires pandoc and other software to be installed. The Windows command line used to be fairly primitive, and so could make this more difficult unless things have changed.

Yes but here is L definitely better. They let you to import Commentaries, with page numbers etc. 

But again many thanks for your code.

FWIW, I too can mark page numbers with my scripts. They become links to the page of the scanned volume in the Internet Archive. I find this useful for proofreading. However, they are not Accordance page fields, because page fields do not exist in User Notes or User Tools.

• Like 1

From my side, I don't need these texts in Accordance, I am happy to have them in Logos. But whoever is interested, I am happy to share the text files.

I also found an other really good source for Mikraot Gedolot (much better than Sefaria): https://mg.alhatorah.org/

They offer also analysis tools and many other cool stuff. Enjoy. 

• Like 2