master verb chart in Mounce's BBG, Chapter 25

Jonna Schmidt

HI: 

I want to let everyone know that: I have truly been blessed by Accordance!!! I am 55 years old, and by God's grace, I have been able to enroll and persist with Dr. Bill Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (Semester 1 & 2). Without Accordance, I would have NEVER gotten past the 1st semester mid-term, let alone arriving to the 2nd Semester!! So.... please do NOT -- do NOT -- think that I am being nit-picky!!!

HOWEVER.... I was in class last night with Dr. Mounce -- that's right: THE DR BILL MOUNCE -- and I had an answer that was wrong!!! I am sinful, prone to mistakes, but the problem was: I was using Accordance's MASTER VERB CHART which has some imperfections! So, please! Get things fixed!! 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Jonna from Michigan

_____

Tense    Aug/Redup   Tense stem   Tense form.  Conn. vowel  Personal endings  1st sing paradigm

Present act                        pres                                  o/e                    prim act                lu/w

Present mid/pas               pres                                    o/e                  prim mid/pas          lu/omai

Imperfect act      e             pres                                  o/e                     sec act                 e¶luon

Imperfect mid/pas     e       pres                                 o/e                      sec mid/pas       e˙luo/mhn

Future act                             fut act           s               o/e                     prim act              lu/sw

Liquid fut act                       fut act            es            o/e                       prim act             menw◊

Future mid                         fut act               s            o/e                       prim mid/pas      poreu/somai

Liquid fut mid                    fut act              qhs          o/e                  prim mid/pas     luqh/somai

2nd future pas                   aor pas           hs            o/e                      prim mid/pas     aÓpostalh/somai

______

ANYWAY.... the correct answers with regards to the last items are as follows:

Future act                           fut act                  σ                 ο/ ε                           prim act                 λύσω  

Liquid fut act                       fut act                 εσ                ο/ ε                          prim act                 μενῶ

Future mid                          fut act                  σ                  ο/ ε                          prim mid/ pas       πορεύσομαι

Liquid fut mid                        fut act               εσ                ο/ ε                         prim mid/ pas           ἀποσταλήσομαι

Zondervan (2015-05-05). Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar (Kindle Locations 16538-16609). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. 

This was taken from my KINDLE version of Dr. Mounce's BBG.

Anyway: I can totally see how easy it is for someone to make a mistake with the copy-pasting! Totally get it! HOWEVER... please!! Make your chart to conform with Dr. Mounce's BBG!!! I don't want to use another software program!!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Edited by Jonna Schmidt

Ouch! Sorry about that! Working on an update now. 

Interestingly, I think the Kindle version may have it wrong as well. I believe the correct chart for liquid future middle should be:

Liquid fut mid fut act θησ ο/ε prim mid/pas μενοῦμαι

Hi Mark,

I'm certainly far from an expert on Greek morph. but the θ looks odd to me in the middle. I had a look last night and could not find a paradigm for the liquid future middle. I can find an example paradigm in Steven's for μενω and I don't think it has a θ in it. The passive first and second do. The example of μενοῦμαι looks correct for middle but for passive it should have a θ. There are a few examples in the NA28 like ἐντελεῖται for example. Looking at the examples I can find it looks like the liquid future middle is modelled on the active with a mid/passive ending. Actually finally found more data in MBG in section 43.3 again using μενω as the example. He recommends Smyth on this but I don't have Smyth to check.

Thx

D

Whatever the correct form is, our edition ought to match Mounce's print edition.

Remember, we can always add a User Note for our own comments and opinions.

• Like 1

Thanx for this Tim. I hadn't thought to do the simple thing and pull the book from the shelf. :)

Indeed there is the paradigm I was looking for in chart 20.13 and indeed is as Jonna describes. And in the master verb chart 25.22 it concurs. Alas in the master verb chart at 25.22 in Acc there is a variance with the printed text which introduces the θ.

Thx

D

• Like 1

The Kindle version matches Dr. Mounce's print edition.  The new flash-cards with Accordance are so helpful: I have been studying primarily off Accordance since Christmas, just in time to get the Master Verb chart mixed up. BACK ON TRACK