Accordance Activation

gametime10

Given the nature of my business, using multiple computers and often being mobile in my usage, it would be great if we could manually manage the number of Accordance installs ourselves. It seems that Accordance only allows you to register Accordance a limited number of times, and then it cuts you off. It would be nice if activation worked more like Microsoft Office 365, where you can deregister computers and register new computers yourself, so that it ensures you only have the proper amount of devices with your license. 

• Like 3

Given the nature of my business, using multiple computers and often being mobile in my usage, it would be great if we could manually manage the number of Accordance installs ourselves. It seems that Accordance only allows you to register Accordance a limited number of times, and then it cuts you off. It would be nice if activation worked more like Microsoft Office 365, where you can deregister computers and register new computers yourself, so that it ensures you only have the proper amount of devices with your license. 

Really is that so?

Helen said to me one time as I asked how Accordance does it handle if I replace may iPhone: It can be installed on 5 gadgets at the same time and not like in BW only 5 time activation.

We do track the total number of activations, and will reset them if necessary. You will be warned as you approach the limit. However, sometimes it is clear that access has been given to multiple users, and this is simple piracy. We must protect the copyright and rights of the publishers and authors. Hence we will ask for an explanation if you exceed the large limit we have set.

This is why we cannot simply allow the user to manage the validation count.

• Like 2

Hi,

Last year I used the demo version of Acc 11 in different Linux distros to avoid activations. Now I would like to try Acc 12 in Linux and avoid activation.

But I'm a bit confused by the statement on the web, that I can install the Lite Version and “choose to register it instead of validating the full version,” and by what to do on the Setup Assistant Screen,

post-32543-0-03736500-1487868524_thumb.png

What I'm concerned about is what will happen if I fill in the Existing User information and Sign in - will I be able to register on the next screen, or will I have used up another validation? I don't own Acc 12 yet, but I want to try it in the meantime, especially in Linux.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Michel

We do track the total number of activations, and will reset them if necessary. You will be warned as you approach the limit. However, sometimes it is clear that access has been given to multiple users, and this is simple piracy. We must protect the copyright and rights of the publishers and authors. Hence we will ask for an explanation if you exceed the large limit we have set.

Hi Helen,

I'm confused by your post and others liking it. There must be some misunderstanding of the original feature request, which I like along with Rick so far.

When we manage activations in other programs, like Office, Adobe, Scrivener, Kindle, etc., if we deactivate a computer/device, it doesn't work on that device any more.

So, from your perspective, is the fear that Acc will remain on a device once installed? If so, could you not just program that Acc will not work after deactivation? I'm not sure of the amount of programming it would take. But, for instance, Scrivener allows deactivations, and from what I gather it has less staff than Acc.

Anyways, I hope you don't think that those in favour are planning to pirate Acc. It's hard to believe that at least the regulars on the Forum would be planning that.

Regards,

Michel.

• Like 1

I totally agree about needing to guard against piracy and giving access to multiple users. Is the concern that some users would deactivate their account, in order to let others use it, and then just coordinate activating and deactivating so that multiple people can use one account? 

I suppose that makes sense, though the current system doesn't really guard against either problem, since the large limit could allow someone to share his account. I'm not sure if there is a perfect solution, but it seems to me that an activation/deactivation system would provide better protection against piracy than simply setting a large limit.

Hi gametime,

Good point. I hadn't thought about a deactivation/activation scheme. But Acc could monitor high activation/deactivation numbers during short periods of time.

In any case, due to my Linux experiments I was probably one of the worst recent offenders, and Acc did reset the number for me. That's when I started using the demo version to avoid the dreaded message again.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Years ago I did install accordance on a friends computer for my personal use.... he being a former pastor I do believed honoured my request to not use it.. Since he died in 2002 this was far before authentications and such. But I can see how one might want to temporarily install a copy on a computer not your own. I had accordance on my friends iMac for a couple years as when I was at his place it was convenient for my use with no need to bring a laptop and this was many many years before the convince of an iPad. If I did not have an iPad and was frequently staying some place I might consider it still not because i was trying to share my account, but because it is sometimes more trouble than it's worth bringing a laptop with you (that said when I travel for a few days I usually do bring my laptop with me despite my spouse telling me that is what the iPad is for... but in the end the laptop is still more easy to do serious study on). My iPad is almost always enough for me these days and I travel very little now.

-Dan

Years ago I did install accordance on a friends computer for my personal use.... he being a former pastor I do believed honoured my request to not use it.. Since he died in 2002 this was far before authentications and such. But I can see how one might want to temporarily install a copy on a computer not your own. I had accordance on my friends iMac for a couple years as when I was at his place it was convenient for my use with no need to bring a laptop and this was many many years before the convince of an iPad. If I did not have an iPad and was frequently staying some place I might consider it still not because i was trying to share my account, but because it is sometimes more trouble than it's worth bringing a laptop with you (that said when I travel for a few days I usually do bring my laptop with me despite my spouse telling me that is what the iPad is for... but in the end the laptop is still more easy to do serious study on). My iPad is almost always enough for me these days and I travel very little now.

-Dan

An activation / deactivation system would allow you to use your Accordance on your friend's computer, provided you deactivate your own computer, and activate his, and then make sure you deactivate your friend's computer once you're finished using it. That seems to me it would guard against piracy, while providing you the needed flexibility.

For iOS devices (and Android, hopefully someday!), you could allow each account to have 5 activations or something like that.

Our approach has always been first of all to provide a system which does not hassle the user, but provides a disincentive to piracy. We also consider the cost to ourselves in terms of programming and support. The vast majority of our users never need to worry about the number of activations.

I think that to develop a system of activation/deactivation as suggested here, would not provide benefits that justified the costs.

• Like 1

Hi,

I installed Acc12 Lite in Ubuntu, and it works much better than the Acc 11 demo in a previous version of Wine. There is much less flickering on my lowly Asus Notebook, an i3, 4 GB Ram machine.

post-32543-0-28973800-1488231900_thumb.png

I do have a question though. I want to try the HB, but there isn't a sample HB like in the Acc 11 demo. When I installed the Lite version, it also gave me the choice to download my purchases.

post-32543-0-70723200-1488231915_thumb.png

Is that a bug, or can I download my Original Languages module to try it before purchase?

I really don't have anything against purchasing, except I can't afford it at the moment. But it is fun to try it in Linux in the meantime.

Thanks.

Regards,

Michel

Your modules are available to download in the light edition.... that said if you have purchased 12 signing in to get your modules will take the lite version to full.

-dan

• Like 1

The cut off words in the easy install and the gap in the first images are the only things which are not as they should.

Acc 12 Lite is like OliveTr... gratis and you can download your purchased modules, but with limited features. 

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

On the topic of piracy, I hope this isn't a loophole that Acc has not closed. If someone Signs in and loads their Purchases in Acc Lite it should count as an Activation. Otherwise, an Acc Lite install could be exploited to download Purchases on an unlimited number of devices. Not that I know anyone who would do that, but the topic was brought up in this post.

Regarding an activation/deactivation system in Acc, I always thought of it in terms of convenience, not necessarily in terms of a better anti-piracy system. I'm a former Windows user. When the average Windows user reformats a hard drive, reinstalls an OS, replaces a faulty hard drive, or replaces a computer more than the average Mac user, the activation/deactivation system is a convenient way to know which devices are activated, a way to deactivate installs if you forgot to before you formatted, etc., and reactivate, and a way to stay within the license agreement.

• Like 1

Michel

I have also think about it, but since you have to activate with a log in, this is surely count as an activation.

Greetings

Fabian