No replies to this topic

#1 mgvh

mgvh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted Today, 12:53 AM

I'm still comparing what I do in BibleWorks with what Accordance can do. I am only using Accordance Lite, but I do have the tagged GNT text. (I.e., there is probably a more elegant way to do the search using the visual search, but I don't have that.)

What I'm trying to find are all the instances in the GNT of the grammatical construction εν τῳ plus an infinitive. Mindful that a δε might sometimes sneak in after the preposition, I'm running this search from top line

WORDS: εν <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 2 Words> [ARTICLE neuter singular dative] <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> [VERB infinitive]

I get hits for results in 45 verses.

When I run the same search in BibleWorks, I get hits in 48 verses. What's going on? It appears that Accordance is missing:

• Luke 8.5
  • Luke 9.34
  • Gal 4.18

There is nothing tricky about those verses, and there isn't a text variant issue.

Should I be using a different search? Or is there some other explanation?

(BTW, this is a search I have my students run across both the LXX and the GNT to show how common it is in the LXX as a rendering of the Hebrew, and that it's overwhelming occurence in Luke is his way of making his Greek more biblisch, i.e., sounding like good old LXX Scripture!)

Thanks for your help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mgvh