iOS Verse Reference Scanner - Feature Request

OSchrock

For those of us who love Accordance but still have a sizable physical library we consult, I would love to see the addition of a real-time scanner built into the Accordance iOS app.

The idea would be to use the iOS camera + Accordance app to hover over a Bible reference in a physical book and the text of the scanned reference would pop-up in the app.   

I've made a couple of mockup screenshots of what I had in mind.

post-31975-0-63469600-1488401798_thumb.jpg

post-31975-0-53382300-1488401938_thumb.jpg

I know there would be a lot involved in this, but it would be a killer feature unavailable in any of the competitors' apps!

• Like 6

Interesting idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I built a workflow that addresses this very problem. Unfortunately, it does require you buy both Prizmo and Workflow, but they are both very useful on their own. 

Essentially, when you trigger the workflow, either through the app or the widget, it:

1. Launches Prizmo to capture text
  2. Returns the text to workflow
  3. Automatically detects Bible reference patterns (references can be interspersed through a paragraph, no need to isolate just the reference).
  4. Presents a selection list of all detected references.
  5. Opens all selected references in Accordance.

https://workflow.is/workflows/83fe107765bb4e9ab1b44a63737c8699

Similarly, this workflow allows you to pass a block of text (e.g. copied from a webpage or email. Prizmo not required.):

1. Automatically detects Bible reference patterns (references can be interspersed through a paragraph, no need to isolate just the reference).
  2. Presents a selection list of all detected references.
  3. Opens all selected references in Accordance

https://workflow.is/workflows/6ba2cbf3f82b44928ca3aa679033497d

• Like 4

@Fabian

Are you using TextGrabber by ABBYY? (https://appsto.re/us/9JPiA.i) I can't find a URL scheme for TextGrabber, so it can't be integrated as smoothly as Prizmo, but the following process works pretty well:

1. Start in TextGrabber to capture the text.

2. Tap the share button, and copy text to the clipboard.

3. Run the second workflow, which accepts input from the share sheet extension or from the clipboard. (I usually keep the Workflow widget in my today view, so I can quickly access the "Open in Accordance" workflow by swiping over from the home screen, or swiping down from the top of the screen in any app.)

Alternatively, you can select the captured text within TextGrabber, and tap the "Share..." button that pops up along with "Copy" and "Look Up." This brings up the standard iOS share sheet, and from there you can tap "Run Workflow" (make sure you've turned on the "Run Workflow" action extension under "More" in the bottom section of the share sheet), and then run the "Open in Accordance" workflow.

Because the regex I use to detect the verse references will find them throughout the text, I find it really useful when I'm wanting to grab several references at once.

Let me know if this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks

At the moment I use FineScanner Pro. I have just started a question to the support of Abbyy. I will test your workflow after the response.

Greetings

Fabian

I built a workflow that addresses this very problem. Unfortunately, it does require you buy both Prizmo and Workflow, but they are both very useful on their own....

Wow! You've done a lot of work on this! Very impressive workflow! Thank you so much! I can hardly wait to try it out!

This is simply awesome. Thanks for the excellent work you've done. I had done something similar so that I can speak references to my phone. It formats them correctly and opens in accordance. But your script is way more developed. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

This is simply awesome. Thanks for the excellent work you've done. I had done something similar so that I can speak references to my phone. It formats them correctly and opens in accordance. But your script is way more developed. Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind sharing your workflow? I'd love to see that.

I'm willing but a little embarrassed. It's super crude compared to the one he shared. But maybe others will actually make this a decent workflow.

Currently you have to say "Genesis 3 verse 15 and John 3 verse 16 etc." But it will handle "and" or "through" etc. Let me know ideas to improve it. Haven't figured out a way to get around the need to say "verse."

• Like 1

I'm willing but a little embarrassed. It's super crude compared to the one he shared. But maybe others will actually make this a decent workflow.

Currently you have to say "Genesis 3 verse 15 and John 3 verse 16 etc." But it will handle "and" or "through" etc. Let me know ideas to improve it. Haven't figured out a way to get around the need to say "verse."

It sounds like a great idea! If you post the workflow link I'd be happy to collaborate on it.

• 8 months later...

I've been using the Reference Scanner mentioned above while reading through a paper book this last week or so and it is incredibly useful. I'd love to see something like this in iOS Accordance. Additionally, the tab support is really fantastic and would address the major issue I have using Accordance in iOS - it is just too difficult to switch between resources.

• Like 2

I've been using the Reference Scanner mentioned above while reading through a paper book this last week or so and it is incredibly useful. I'd love to see something like this in iOS Accordance. Additionally, the tab support is really fantastic and would address the major issue I have using Accordance in iOS - it is just too difficult to switch between resources.

Yes the tab support looks great, but I hope we get soon the library sync and then I want to download more resources on the iPhone with for this purpose I have bought the 265GB version and then it could be a mess if I have too much recourse. Or the tab is only for the last opened.

Greetings

Fabian

• 6 months later...

I built a workflow that addresses this very problem. Unfortunately, it does require you buy both Prizmo and Workflow, but they are both very useful on their own. 

Essentially, when you trigger the workflow, either through the app or the widget, it:

1. Launches Prizmo to capture text
  2. Returns the text to workflow
  3. Automatically detects Bible reference patterns (references can be interspersed through a paragraph, no need to isolate just the reference).
  4. Presents a selection list of all detected references.
  5. Opens all selected references in Accordance.

https://workflow.is/workflows/83fe107765bb4e9ab1b44a63737c8699

Similarly, this workflow allows you to pass a block of text (e.g. copied from a webpage or email. Prizmo not required.):

1. Automatically detects Bible reference patterns (references can be interspersed through a paragraph, no need to isolate just the reference).
  2. Presents a selection list of all detected references.
  3. Opens all selected references in Accordance

https://workflow.is/workflows/6ba2cbf3f82b44928ca3aa679033497d

How difficult would it be to bring this to the mac via Automator services to extract a list of references from a paragraph of text?

• 1 year later...

How difficult would it be to bring this to the mac via Automator services to extract a list of references from a paragraph of text?

@OSchrock, Sorry for the long delay... responses to this thread were being marked as spam, so I didn't see your question until the other day. 

Here are some macOS Automator Workflows to do what you asked:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvaplk0m7fv1t6e/AAACBWEEMWkybjkvOX9Rzuhia?dl=0

Once downloaded, just double-click to install the services.

The one named "Accordance-Open References" will:

1. Find references in the selected text.
  2. Show a selection dialog of references found.
  3. Open Accordance and search the default text for the selected references.

("Accordance-Open References (all)" skips step 2.

The one named "Accordance-Verse Popup" will:

1. Find references in the selected text.
  2. Show a selection dialog of references found.
  3. Show a popup dialog with the text of the selected verses.

("Accordance-Verse Popup (all)" skips step 2.

One caveat, the dialog isn't scrollable, so it truncates the results if they are longer than will fit on screen. However, all verses are still there, so you can do a select all in the dialog and copy all verses.

As with any Service, you can create keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences for quick activation.

• Like 1

@OSchrock, Sorry for the long delay... responses to this thread were being marked as spam, so I didn't see your question until the other day. 

Here are some macOS Automator Workflows to do what you asked:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvaplk0m7fv1t6e/AAACBWEEMWkybjkvOX9Rzuhia?dl=0

This is great! Thank you!