Atlas for Israel Trip

sozomuse

A pilgrimage to Israel with our church and Israeli Christian tour guide is fast approaching. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding an Atlas for this trip? Thank you!

I believe Helen would be the one to give you the best answer but I would suspect the Carta Atlases would be ideal. Good maps lots of information, functions well on your iOS device. But like I said those who have actually had the privilege to go to the Holy Land would be better to tell you what would be best.

-Dan

I am going to Israel this year as well so would be interested in the answer to this question.

It so depends what you want it for. I have been twice with work and travelled around with local people so i wanted something detailed, non christian and pocket sized and this was before i got accordance. However I would still recommend the blue guide though its a bit long in the tooth now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Israel-Palestinian-Territories-Guides/dp/0713648449/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488739338&sr=8-1&keywords=Blue+guide+israel

But lonely planet are always excellent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonely-Planet-Israel-Palestinian-Territories-ebook/dp/B00YG63RZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488739206&sr=8-1&keywords=Lonely+planet+israel

When out there, there are lots of churches on the 'sites' and this looks like it could be really interesting and i would certainly get it before i go again.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Churches+in+Israel

As others have said, i would certainly look at the carta range.

Edited by ukfraser

I assume since you are asking here on this forum you are seeking information on using Accordance modules. I take my iPad on tours I lead (for several reasons). Here are some suggestions I have.

1. The Atlas Site Information can be extremely helpful. (Sites) This is a part of the Accordance Bible Atlas Version 2.2 and you may already have it in your package.

2. The PhotoGuide Overview is also extremely helpful, not just the photos but the text along with the hyperlinked Scripture references. 

3. I also like the Satellite Bible Atlas. 

4. I also like the Carta "Understanding" Series

5. But if you are going to purchase one "Atlas" and don't want to spend a fortune, its hard to beat the Zondervan Atlas of the Bible. 

I know you didn't ask but I also highly recommend looking at your itinerary and reading the information the night before you visit a site. Believe me, it won't spoil the magic of your trip, it will help you understand what your guide will be telling you. 

Well, thank you all for your replies. To have a tour guide chime in is especially helpful. 

I plan to use Accordance on an iPad, so having scripture references hyperlinked in the PhotoGuide Overview is a real plus. The PhotoGuide and Atlas hasn't interested me until now. 

The Accordance Bible Atlas is not available for iOS as yet so one or more of the other atlases will work for me. 

Thank you again!

The PhotoGuide Overview and the PhotoGuide Israel will make it easy to see current images and get the Biblical history and references. They work great on the iPad. However, if you really want to learn about the sites, I also recommend Accordance's 100 Israel Sites, written by the person who prepares official guides for each site. It will introduce each site's history and layout, and describe what you can see there now as a visitor.

Good tips here! However, there seems to be some information I need to catch up to. I have Bible Lands PhotoGuide 4 in my library. Has that resource been replaced with the series of PhotoGuides? Is there any upgrade price then? I may miss something, but I can't see any ref to PhotoGuide 4 in the store.

Yes, the PhotoGuide 4 was replaced with the PhotoGuide 6 set. The single modules was getting too big to manage. The Overview includes all the text, and a representative collection of images. It links the articles to additional images in the other 5 modules. This is still a work in progress as more images become available. Sections are upgraded one at a time.

You can upgrade to the entire set, or you can receive upgrade prices on parts of the set as they are included in the various Graphic Collection levels.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the info everyone. I will have to make sure that I make some space on my iPad for some of the graphics modules I have got. Must remember to do that before I go.

On the trip we have to Israel we will be seeing a number of sites in Jerusalem but we also have a free day to relax and maybe discover more of the city. Does anyone have any suggestions on places that we should visit or places to relax beyond the usual ones that will be visited during the trip anyway.

We also have a free day by lake Galilee (we are staying near Tiberius there). So again any suggestions for a free day?

On the trip we have to Israel we will be seeing a number of sites in Jerusalem but we also have a free day to relax and maybe discover more of the city. Does anyone have any suggestions on places that we should visit or places to relax beyond the usual ones that will be visited during the trip anyway.

We also have a free day by lake Galilee (we are staying near Tiberius there). So again any suggestions for a free day?

PM me your itinerary and I will make a few suggestions. You would likely be able to see several things if you are interested. One thing we did on one of my trips was a visit to Oskar Schindler's grave (in the Mount Zion Catholic Cemetery). If you do not have the Shrine of the Book and Jerusalem model on your itinerary that would be a "must see." 

Do you know if you are visiting the western wall heritage, the tunnel as part of the number of jerusalem sites? If not, its well worth it but you will need to book in advance.

I was fortunate as i was with a local so was taken off the beaten track To some fantastic markets outside the wall with stalls selling a wide variety of food.

In Jerusalem old city: Sisters of Zion/Ecce Homo, Tower of the Lutheran Church, City walls walk....

In Galilee: new excavations at Magdala, Mount Arbel and hike down the cliffs (need a car at each end), Roman city excavations south of Tiberias...

I'd recommend any/all of these with Accordance on a MacBook:

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Jerusalem, Israel, Petra & Sinai   by DK Publishing– August 18, 2014  

An Historical and Geographical Study Guide of Israel: With a Supplement on Jordan   by Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum

The Historical and Geographical Maps of Israel and Surrounding Territories   by Dr. Arnold Fruchtenbaum

Satellite Bible Atlas   by William Schlegel

Carta's Israel Super Touring Map – Folded Map - 2016 by Carta Jerusalem

Jerusalem -The Temple Mount   – March 1, 2015  by Leen & Kathleen Ritmeyer