iCloud instead of Dropbox?

Fabian

Hello

Comes in the future the possibility to use iCloud instead of Dropbox?

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 2

or $CLOUDPROVIDER?

Personally I'd prefer to see a feature where Accordance will sync to any plain old file path and let my operating system deal with it.

On the iOS release, let it sync to any Drive provider that the system is aware of.

You may or may not be surprised as to how "political" this stuff can be. We can't use iCloud (even though there's a Windows version of it) because some Windows users don't want to have anything to do with Apple. The flipside of that is that we can't use OneDrive because some Mac and iOS users don't want to use anything associated with Microsoft. And the same arguments can be made for Google Drive after our Android version is released. Dropbox was the closest thing to a "neutral zone" of sorts. 

The issue with letting the user choose their own service has issues, too, because we would have to write to each API for the syncing to work. In fact, Dropbox is changing its API later this year which will require Accordance to be updated for it to still work. Can you imagine if we had to do that with half a dozen different services? 

• Like 3

Something's got to be better than dropbox. I've had my notes corrupted, lost changes and downright disappear in dropbox. 

• Like 1

Yes, the fact that we have to use Dropbox is something that leaves a really horrible bitter taste in my mouth. Speaking as someone who is not a U.S. Citizen, Agreeing to dropboxes terms and conditions, and being subject to the U.S. laws regarding privacy of non U.S. citizens makes me very unhappy.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/26/trump-signs-executive-order-stripping-non-citizens-of-privacy-ri/

Trump is right to make this kind of clarification, because it simply makes public and visible what is already going on in private, that is Non U.S. citizens aren't protected by the constitution and hence, basically have no rights.

Also:

https://techcrunch.com/2014/10/11/edward-snowden-new-yorker-festival/

Yes, the fact that we have to use Dropbox is something that leaves a really horrible bitter taste in my mouth. Speaking as someone who is not a U.S. Citizen, Agreeing to dropboxes terms and conditions, and being subject to the U.S. laws regarding privacy of non U.S. citizens makes me very unhappy.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/26/trump-signs-executive-order-stripping-non-citizens-of-privacy-ri/

Thats why I didn't use Dropbox period

<off Topic>Strange the Americans accuse 2 Russian people for what the CIA said by themselves this is their Job of CIA</off Topic>

<off Topic>I don't believe other than Trump are better, only he speak it out loud</off Topic>

Back on the topic, "letting the user choose their own service has issues, too, because we would have to write to each API for the syncing to work. "

This is precisely why I'm asking for "a feature where Accordance will sync to any plain old file path and let my operating system deal with it."

There is no need to support or write to an API if we're dealing with a file path. Accordance already supports local file I/O. With local file I/O, you get support for things like iCloud, Google Drive, etc. out of the box. Yes, an API is nice, as you can get assurances that the write replicated remotely, but for those who want that, they can use Dropbox.

Not all operating system API handle conflicts between file versions in the manner that we need them to. Since all of our user content file formats are binary based and need full control and direct manipulation to merge and resolve conflicts we cannot just rely on file level syncing.

How about iCloud, OneDrive, etc syncing as optional, chargeable modules. If a user wants a certain one, he/she can add it to the collection...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too have wondered why Accordance doesn't have native syncing (for lack of a better phrase) like kindle (which syncs it's content across all devices regardless of operating systems). 

I love Accordance and all they have done but I am frustrated that I have to click on 'sync with drop box', have dropbox pop up on shut down, wonder if I've clicked sync with drop box etc.. 

So I know I'm speaking as someone who has no idea of the technical difficulties of making this happen but it would be nice to not have to go through a third party (drop box or otherwise)... 

Thanks again though for all the great work you guys do! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The best, simplest way, I think, is that Accordance should allow users to locate their "Accordance files" folder to any of their folders in addition to "Document" folder. Then, I think Accordance does not have to make each API, whatever that is, though it may well be out of my ignorance. 

This is my case. I am using Accordance 11 on my mid 2012 MBP with Sierra 10.12.4. I had to format my laptop unexpectedly and reinstall every app. Unfortunately, I lost my user notes since last Oct, though I could restore those before that time thanks to my old TimeMachine files. I have not used dropbox sync since my dropbox is almost full and i do not want to pay for it. To escape such a disaster if it happens again, I set up my “Accordance files” folder within my “googledrive" folder rather than  in “Document” folder. Now, whenever I open Accordance the message used as my profile photo pops up. I can open Accordance only after I choose “Googledrive” again. 

The answer I got from Accordance team is following. "We are not familiar on how having the User Notes in the Google Drive will work with Accordance. We assume that the Mac needs to connect to the Drive every time you log into your account. That may cause issues. But it is something you will need to check. We recommend to have the User Notes in Documents on the Mac, and keep backups on Time Machine or another form of backup."

Googledrive folder on my laptop is as well built-in as any other local folders. Therefore, I assume that this problem occurs when "Accordance files" folder is located in a folder other than "Document" (correct me if I am wrong, e.g., if no problem when it is located in Download folder). But should it be? (I am not aware of technology and so forgive me if I make no sense at all.)

Edited by rough2000

I cannot actually read the image that you uploaded. I initially didn't quite follow you actually. In any case you can attach a more legible image to your post.

That said, I've not tried what you are attempting so I am not sure how it would go.

Thx

D