Is there a way to link Hebrew lexicons?

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

I found Martin's post, "Lexicons 'Linked'" at https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/19434-lexicons-linked/

Is there a way to do this for Hebrew lexicons?

Right now I'm comparing HALOT and CDCH, by triple clicking to HALOT, clicking three more times to get CDCH, and, if a reference is listed in HALOT but not in CDCH, going back to erase the reference in the SCRIPTURE search box, and clicking three times again.

post-32543-0-13698800-1490286736_thumb.png

post-32543-0-76275400-1490286751_thumb.png

post-32543-0-81855900-1490286764_thumb.png

Any help would be appreciated, and I will try any/all suggestions.

Thanks, and regards,

Michel

Michel

If you have this active, then you can click in the tool and with arrow right and left, you can go through the tools.

post-32723-0-85914500-1490287418_thumb.png

I know not exactly what you want. But helpful.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Bitte

It would be great if the click in the tool is not necessary, so by triple click on on word in HMT the focus is on the tool. At the moment the focus is on nothing, also not on the entry box. It is great that the focus swings to the entry box if I type a letter, but not only to navigate.

Greetings

Fabian

Agreed. But what you suggested will work well for me. It's a nice feature I didn't know about.

As an aside, as someone who has read the concise lexicons for OT and compared them to HALOT, I can say that they are worth having, and therefore, it is worth having a feature to link lexicons easily.

It is often helpful to get a short orientation to a word in CHALOT, check HALOT, and then check (often newer) glosses in CDCH, and the short glosses in Even-Shoshan (of course, there is KAHAL also, which I'll get soon). Sometimes the English translations in HALOT are a bit awkward, and CHALOT or CDCH help. But sometimes the latter are the ones with awkward renderings (often influenced by BDB). And, when they aren't copying off each other (or BDB), in tandem they give fuller explanations of words. And, when British English comes to the fore in one lexicon, it often doesn't in another for the same entry.

Here is an example from yesterday - is מַשְׂאַת הֶעָנָן (Judges 20:38) a fire signal, smoke column/signal, or a beacon, and how would you translate? These are the kinds of decisions translators make for almost every word, in conjunction with grammar and syntax.

Regards,

Michel

Another option is to set up a workspace which consists of the lexicons you are interested in and amplify to that workspace.

You need to set up the workspace then add it to "My Workspaces". You can then right click on a work and select the workspace under "My Workspaces".

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks. That might be how Martin did it.

Regards,

Michel

Here's a way to set up that Workspace:

Open your triple-click default lexicon. Let's say it's BDB Complete. Open as many other lexicons as you'd like to regularly consult. It doesn't matter whether they are in separate zones or tabs in the same zone; it's your call. In each of of the other lexicons, type or paste the following: [LINK BDB Complete] Save the Workspace.

Now, every time you triple-click a word in the Hebrew text, Accordance will search for it in BDB. Simultaneously, it will search every other lexicon for the same word.

Decide to search for a Hebrew word manually? No problem. type it in BSB Complete's Search Entry Box. Press Return. Accordance will perform the same simultaneous searches.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Hi Timothy,

Thanks. That is faster than the arrow. 

I have a question though. If the HEBREW ENTRY and SCRIPTURE boxes are populated in my triple click lexicon (HALOT), i.e., the reference is in red (one of the the best features in Acc IMHO), and the reference is also in the CDCH entry, it is red if you use the arrow, but not with [LINK HALOT]. Is there a way to highlight the verse hit with your suggestion, i.e., is there a way to add AND SCRIPTURE to the LINK command?

Thanks, and regards,

Michel

I just tried, Michael. The answer is currently "No."

One can't right-click in the additional Search Entry Scripture field. I tried that first. I then just typed in the command. No dice then, either. The Linked Searches just looked for the Hebrew word and ignored the additional field.

If this feature is really important to you, you might request it.

Meanwhile, if you are working through a specific chapter, I'd suggest manually populating the Scripture field with that chapter, then letting Accordance [LINK] command do the rest. it's the only other thing I can think of.

• Like 1

I'll just use a combination of the LINK command and the arrows, depending on the entry.

Thanks again everyone.

If you amplify to a workspace with the lexicons it will automatically add the verse reference to the search where appropriate (Note that in the workspace the lexicons are not linked - with amplify they are all just searched separately). This means it will only include the reference where it is actually found in association with the word. Where it is not the word only with be searched.

Although it is a couple of extra clicks to get the workspace up it may reduce time in terms of looking for a particular reference.

Edited by Steve King