• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#21 csonni

csonni

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Weather, Photography, Computer.
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

I have OliveTree's Bible Reader on my Palm T/X and will probably put it on my iPod Touch once it arrives. Bible Reader is well done. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. There will even be a "fuller" version out down the road for the iPod Touch (or iPhone).

#22 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,395 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:17 PM

Olive Tree's Bible Reader was released for the iPhone/iPod Touch yesterday. The initial module offerings are few, but they are in the process of moving most if not all of their rather large library to iPhone format. This includes their original language texts including the Greek NT with Gramcord morphology.

I have an initial review of Olive Tree's Bible Reader for the iPhone on This Lamp.

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#23 Timothy Butler

Timothy Butler

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Theology, literature, technology, politics...

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

I voted for the iPhone version of Accordance in another thread, but I'll add it again here. I'd note Bruji seems to have the right idea with their Pocketpedia. It is a free addition that syncs over wi-fi with Bookpedia, CDPedia, etc. But, for that matter, while opting for a free version would be hard to complain about, it'd be fine with me if I had to pay something for Accordance for iPhone. The main thing I'd like to see is some sort of module syncing to avoid having to buy modules I already own again for some other Bible software. Plus, I trust that anything Accordance puts out will be worth using...

#24 Alex H.

Alex H.

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

I have Bible Reader on my Palm T3, and I'll probably get it for the iPhone (I have one on order). But if Accordance came out with the ability to sync with my iMac, I'd almost certainly buy it. Yes, I'm willing to pay for a premium product.

www.alexhuggett.me

#25 ToddPeperkorn

ToddPeperkorn

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical languages, latin, german, American Lutheranism, American church history, chess, golf, woodworking, science fiction, classic literature, anything that could generally be categorized as a "book".

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

I voted for the iPhone version of Accordance in another thread, but I'll add it again here. I'd note Bruji seems to have the right idea with their Pocketpedia. It is a free addition that syncs over wi-fi with Bookpedia, CDPedia, etc. But, for that matter, while opting for a free version would be hard to complain about, it'd be fine with me if I had to pay something for Accordance for iPhone. The main thing I'd like to see is some sort of module syncing to avoid having to buy modules I already own again for some other Bible software. Plus, I trust that anything Accordance puts out will be worth using...

Amen to that. I just got my iPhone and Pocketpedia works great! I hope Accordance can pull this off...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Rev. Todd Peperkorn
Messiah Lutheran Church (LCMS)
Kenosha, WI 53140
http://lutheranlogomaniac.com
http://toddpeperkorn.com/
http://messiahkenosha.org
http://historiclectionary.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#26 joegomolski

joegomolski

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Happily married, Oblate, O.S.B., Reading, walking, Samoyeds, Sobriety, anything Apple,

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

I hope I'm not repeating this announcement. But check this out.

http://www.olivetree.com/iphone

BibleReader on iPhone
Olive Tree Bible Software's mobile BibleReaderô is available on iPhone! Now you can read and study the Bible with your favorite Bible translations, commentaries, and study tools anytime, anywhere, with BibleReaderô on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Joe Gomolski, Oblate, O.S.B.

The Peace of the Lord be with You

#27 Timothy Butler

Timothy Butler

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Theology, literature, technology, politics...

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

Any chance we can get a word from the Oak Tree developers on this? I'm pondering buying OliveTree's Bible Reader now that it can sync its Bibles with the ones purchased directly from Olive Tree. Yet, I can't help but keep thinking how nice it would be if the same sort of arrangement could be had with Accordance -- either sync'ing with the Accordance server or (better yet, as I mentioned before) building some sort of simple server into Accordance 8 so that the local computer would sync modules with the iPhone as the *Pedias do with PocketPedia.

It would still be great not to have to repurchase modules -- great enough to easily justify a relatively high pricetag for a simple, lightweight reader -- say, $30-$40.

Somehow I just know as soon as I decide to buy OliveTree's product Oak Tree will announce Accordance for iPhone is coming. ;)

#28 Chris Echols

Chris Echols

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:God stuff and Audio/Visual Stuff

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

Has any one got around to using Mantis Study Bible yet?

I've been using various free bibles, and had used Mantis when it first came out. But I later deleted it in favor of bibles like YouVersion and Bible Reader. Later I found myself sitting in church wanting to follow the notes in my NetBible and comparing that to other versions, so now I'm looking to go back to Mantis.

They've upgraded it a lot since I've used it and now I'm thinking very seriously about investing in "modules" for Mantis. However, if Accordance is even remotely thinking about letting us use at least some of the modules I've already invested in, I don't want to waste money.

One of my biggest gripes with these programs is that I can't sync my notes to my desktop. The other must have bibles for my method of study are NET, KJVS, AMP and Message as well as paralleling ESV, NASB, Hollman, and others.

I've looked at BibleXpress, but it doesn't have my "must-haves" yet, and of course Mantis doesn't have AMP yet. Sometimes I don't get a good signal depending on where I sit (or where the ushers sit me), so having a bible stored on the phone is awesome.

What say ye?

#29 techmate

techmate

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

I actually haven't heard of Mantis. Will check it out. Thanks
http://mantisbible.com/
http://appshopper.co...tis-bible-study

#30 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,805 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Sorry, we really have nothing definite to report yet, although we are considering developing an iPhone app. This is not a simple venture and will take some time even if we do embark on it.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#31 Chris Echols

Chris Echols

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

Well I have been putting Mantis through the paces and have bought a few modules and I must say, it has definitely won my vote for now.

Inline notes are great. Highlighting and adding notes is cool.
Navigation while reading in church is number 1, and here's the kicker:

I exported my notes from Accordance and added them to my notes in Mantis via their website. So now I can manage and edit my notes via a web interface and keep my notes with me on my phone! I'm not into greek and hebrew but they seem to have good facilities for advanced users as well.

I can see a desktop bible software developer teaming up with them to provide a one stop shop since it looks like they've really put a lot of work into this program. Version 4 is coming out soon and I can't wait.

#32 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

I too would like Accordance for the iPhone. No, I don't expect to be able to do much in the way of complex searches, but I'd sure like to be able to read any of my Bibles, do a simple search, or read some of the other "Christian classic" modules I own while waiting in line for whatever...

I own a Palm and use eReader for my fiction books. I love being able to read them on my Palm, my laptop or my desktop computer without purchasing a different version of the book for each platform.

My ideal? Purchase a new "AccordanceLite" engine for the iPhone that would let me read any of the modules I already own for Accordance. Of course, since I don't have an iPhone yet, I'd enjoy just such an app for my Palm... :rolleyes:
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#33 sobertruth

sobertruth

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

I too would like to see an Accordance app for the iphone.
Chris
Presbyterian Pastor

#34 Andy Crim

Andy Crim

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

Is there any news or plans at all for the iPhone?

I find I am beginning to spend money for Hebrew and Greek texts and other resources from a couple of companies for iPhone Bible programs. I really don't want to repurchase tools for my iPhone that I already have in Accordance, but I am beginning to consider doing so in order that I might have access to them on an occasional basis when the MBPro isn't near by.

I don't really think we need deep search functionality on the iPhone, but it would be nice with a gesture to see a verse in parallel with the original language, a commentary or a concordance.

#35 David Nehring

David Nehring

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Science Fiction<br />Mystery Fiction<br />Motorhome Travel<br />Model Trains<br />Liturgical worship

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

What tools are you purchasing from whom for the iPhone? I, too, am purchasing Bible study applications for the iPhone and would love to know what you have found helpful thus far. I have been waiting for Accordance to come up with something since the iPhone was announced. I guess I'm getting impatient!!!
David Nehring
Associate Pastor (retired)
St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church
Dayton, Ohio
Email

#36 Chris Echols

Chris Echols

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

What tools are you purchasing from whom for the iPhone? I, too, am purchasing Bible study applications for the iPhone and would love to know what you have found helpful thus far. I have been waiting for Accordance to come up with something since the iPhone was announced. I guess I'm getting impatient!!!

Mantis Study Bible has been a blessing to me so far, but I understand about paying for multiple tools for different platforms. Anyway, one good thing about it, I was able to export my notes from Accordance and get them into Mantis Study Bible for iPhone.

www.mantisbible.com

#37 Andy Crim

Andy Crim

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Olive Tree has Bible Reader. I like it because there are options for background and text colors. There are many public domain texts available for free and they have a pointed BHS text available.

On the other hand, Mantis has a super fast gesture system for accessing different texts, books, chapters, and verses. They have a drill down system using Strongs and NAS which is tied to Thayers and BDB. In addition with two touches you can view a verse in parallel Greek and English.

I know the Accordance programing team could do it so much better.

#38 jwritebol

jwritebol

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Sorry, we really have nothing definite to report yet, although we are considering developing an iPhone app. This is not a simple venture and will take some time even if we do embark on it.

I know I'm just anxious because that other Bible software company put out an iPhone app this last week but where does Accordance stand on developing for the iPhone/iPod Touch platform? Thanks! I really appreciate the solid, non-Alpha, software...
Jeremy Writebol
jwritebol.net

#39 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

I know I'm just anxious because that other Bible software company put out an iPhone app this last week but where does Accordance stand on developing for the iPhone/iPod Touch platform? Thanks! I really appreciate the solid, non-Alpha, software...

I've used the OTHER guys stuff for two days now and their iPhone App is awesome, especially how it integrates with the desktop version! I so wish there was something like this for Accordance!

#40 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

Olive Tree Software's Bible Reader is the excellent, mature bible app option for iPhone.
You should definitely give it a try.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users