Inflected Form Search + Morphology

rleclus@gmail.com

I am trying to do a search for all Greek words in the NT with the ending "ους" for the manuscript form that are also in the genitive singular. I used this search "*ους"@ [NOUN -genitive] which did returned all results including accusative. So it didn't filter the genitive. As an aside when I try look at the analysis, the app crashes. 

Hi, when I perform that search on NA28, I get 938 hits which on analysis are only accusative or nominative (nous, hous, Jesous etc,)

The search you have there says 

show me all the ous words that are nouns, but are not genitive. Seems like you wanted to find the ous words that are ous in both the genitive and the accusative. Is that correct?

BTW - it would be helpful to know what platform and what version of Accordance you are using.

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thanks for the tip. Ken. I am fairly new to Accordance and especially Accordance searching. I didn't understand the "-genitive" (used the menu to create it). when I removed the "-" I got the results I was looking for. 

Just for info. The search I was trying to do was this. I wanted to find all the singular genitives that end in ους. I am learning Greek and noticed that τελος for example has a "strange" form in the genitive singular τελους. I discovered that the reason is that the stem of the word is actually a 3rd declension form τελες. So I was trying to find how many other words in the NT have that "strange" ending in the genitive singular so that I could find other words that have that form. 

And you have helped in doing so, so thank you very much!

As a matter of interest I am running Accordance 11.2.5 on macOS Sierra 10.12.4. I actually want to upgrade to 12, but am short of cash at the moment. 

The "Display Search Graphs and statistics" button still crashes the app for some odd reason.