Periodic Crashes when editing User Notes Windows 10

senilemonk

Accordance 12.0.5

Windows 10

Intel i5

8 gb memory

After updating to Accordance 12.0.5 I have been experiencing crashes when editing and creating user notes.  I have been experiencing this ever since 12.0.5 update was first released.  Prior to the update I never had any issues and I am working in user notes the exact same way (see info below on the method I use to add user notes.).  I have tried to narrow down when it occurs ever since the update.  But i can't really pinpoint it.  It seems to be when changing focus from one program to Accordance but I can not say for sure.  

I can not make it happen through any particular steps with any kind of predictability.  Some times I can work for 20 minutes without a single crash.  And often it will do it back to back - meaning I will attempt to edit user notes and it will crash and upon restarting Accordance I will go back into the user notes and begin to add notes and it will crash right away again.

This is what I can offer as to clues:

I am copying notes from google docs and pasting them into Accordance user notes.  Sometimes it crashes when I just click in the Accordance window to set it active (changing focus going from google docs window to accordance window).  Sometimes it happens when I right click in user notes to select 'paste' option.

The result is that the program crashes to desktop without any warning.

It happens about 10 times in an hour.  (My best guess anyhow - haven't been exactly keeping track that closely)

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Edited by senilemonk

Hi,

You seem to be having a unique problem.  

Can you reproduce it with every user note file or just with a certain one?

Is your workspace very busy? 

Are you pasting text that is not in English?

If you cannot reproduce the problem with any other notes file, I may want to see what's the problem with that one.  

My workspace within Accordance?  It is not busy.  Bible Verse (couple translations in tabs) in one panel with note panel opened below.

My desktop workspace is a little more busy.  I often have Accordance, Chrome, and occasionally another program or two open.  

I am pasting only English text.  Most 'radical' any text gets is maybe italics, underline, bold with colored font.

I spent some time today trying to further troubleshoot or at least narrow down the problems.

I created a new note file.  I started just copying and pasting text from google docs using chrome.  I pasted 3 different chunks (about 4-8 sentences).  I switched to a new verse and input two more chunks under a new verse.  It did not show the text I pasted on the last paste attempt but I have noticed that sometimes it does actually paste the text in to the verse but for some reason the note window is scrolled down (on its own somehow) too far that I can't see the text I just pasted into the user note.  So I scrolled up to check if the text was actually pasted in.  It was.  I then clicked in the window to insert more text and it crashed.  So it was NOT because the window lost focus.  Again this was a new empty note file I started with.

Narrowed it down.

I can reproduce the error consistently now.

Example #1

1.  I paste text into an empty verse note.

2.  I just start left clicking only in the verse note window and usually within 10 seconds it will crash at some point.

Example #2

I also tried to type text - not paste text - into an empty verse note followed by left clicking again.  Did NOT crash.

Example #3

I then tried to copy and paste text from a different source (a couple of bible verses from a desktop bible program) to see if perhaps it was just the source text I was always using (google docs) and it crashed after left clicking.

Example #4

I repeated one more time copying and pasting a couple of verses from Accordance using the KJV followed by left clicking.  Did NOT crash.

Example #5

I decided to copy from a source that you could also copy from in order to hopefully allow you to recreate the issue.  I copied the last paragraph from my post above (shown in quote box below).

I created a new note file.  I started just copying and pasting text from google docs using chrome.  I pasted 3 different chunks (about 4-8 sentences).  I switched to a new verse and input two more chunks under a new verse.  It did not show the text I pasted on the last paste attempt but I have noticed that sometimes it does actually paste the text in to the verse but for some reason the note window is scrolled down (on its own somehow) too far that I can't see the text I just pasted into the user note.  So I scrolled up to check if the text was actually pasted in.  It was.  I then clicked in the window to insert more text and it crashed.  So it was NOT because the window lost focus.  Again this was a new empty note file I started with.

I then start to left click in verse window and it crashed within 10 seconds again.

Edited by senilemonk

Thank you so much for the detailed steps, but I feel that I am missing something when trying to follow them.

Any chance you could show me?  We could use Skype if you'd like or, you can also download 'TeamViewer' from www.teamviewer.com (it's free and fast) and send pm your TeamViewer 'Your ID' and password and I can follow what you do.

I can do teamviewer.  Let me know what times you are available.

Gary,

Thank you so much for showing me the problem.  

If you update 12.0.6, you will not be crashing any longer when clicking on a pasted text in User files.

Thank YOU, Orly!

Installed the update and no more crashing!

• Like 1