How to have search results on one window; different texts in another

mac98aop

Hi there

I'm trying to setup a Workspace, where I have search results in left hand pane, and then an untied pane on the right, where I can look up and read the search results in context.

Can't see how to do it! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Adam

Open the second text from the library instead of the "Add Parallel" button.

Thanks Mark, but could you please give me the steps. When I try that, it just opens a new tab? Sorry!

You can use Mark's suggestion, then click and drag the tab into a new zone. That way you'll have the texts side-by-side.

Alternately, select the reference you'd like to investigate with your cursor, then type Cmd+5 (Ctrl+5 on a PC). That will open a Text pane, where you can check Show All Text. Repeat for each reference you'd like to see its context. The text pane will recycle with the new passage. This will save you the effort of typing in and searching for a reference each time.

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 2

Thanks Timothy. I can't make Mark's tip work, but yours does brilliantly. I'm an older version of Accordance and macOS, so perhaps that's it?

Thanks again both of you, a huge help indeed,

By His grace

Adam

Time to upgrade, Adam.

It's worth it! :-D

Hehe. I know, I know. But my MacBook is early 2011, so I need new hardware too. Sierra just doesn't seem to run smoothly for me, so I went back to Mavericks which works flawlessly.

Alas, new MacBook Pro's are rather pricey this time round, too....

Off-topic, but for what it's worth... I'm using a Mid 2011 Mac Mini w/ 8GB of RAM and have found that Sierra (10.12) performs better than 10.11 did. Maybe a memory upgrade or fresh install would help?

Edited by jarcher

Thanks jarcher - that's helpful. 

How about in comparision to good old Mavericks (10.9)? 

That's wonderful!

I do have an SSD which helps, so perhaps some more Ram and update to Sierra won't be too bad?!

I would ask why update to Sierra at all ? Is there something in it you need or want ? I'm running a late 2009 iMac desktop and it runs Acc 12 just fine. I'm running Yosemite on it. Now I have no other Apple kit so some of the new Sierra features are of no use to me and I just kept hearing about Sierra issues early on - though I know many people run it just fine - and various things have been addressed. My Mac is able to run Sierra but the ones released earlier in 2009 are not but at the moment I don't need it. I have 12 GB of RAM and that helps perhaps more than anything. I still have a spinning disk though. So with more RAM and that SSD you might have all you need.

thx

D

Helpful, thanks. 

Might well take the plunge to v12!

AP

Yep.

For what's worth, my laptop is also a 2011 MBP. It's the last year Apple made a 17" display and I still love it. I did opt for the 2.3 Intel Core i7 (multi-threaded). I then upgraded it to 16 GB RAM and two SSDs (one is in my optical bay). I'm running Sierra and Accordance 12.