INFER command not picking up allusions

jpainter

I was showing a colleague the INFER command (he is considering buying Accordance) and he asked for a comparison of Lev 25 and Ezek 34 which both have phrases containing רדה and פֶרֶך. Here are the results from a search:

Lev 25:43‏ לֹא־תִרְדֶּ֥ה ב֖וֹ בְּפָ֑רֶךְ וְיָרֵ֖אתָ מֵאֱלֹהֶֽיךָ׃

‎Lev 25:46‏ וְהִתְנַחֲלְתֶּ֨ם אֹתָ֜ם לִבְנֵיכֶ֤ם אַחֲרֵיכֶם֙ לָרֶ֣שֶׁת אֲחֻזָּ֔ה לְעֹלָ֖ם בָּהֶ֣ם תַּעֲבֹ֑דוּ וּבְאַ֨חֵיכֶ֤ם בְּנֵֽי־יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ אִ֣ישׁ בְּאָחִ֔יו לֹא־תִרְדֶּ֥ה ב֖וֹ בְּפָֽרֶךְ׃ ס
‎Lev 25:53‏ כִּשְׂכִ֥יר שָׁנָ֛ה בְּשָׁנָ֖ה יִהְיֶ֣ה עִמּ֑וֹ לֹֽא־יִרְדֶּ֥נּֽוּ בְּפֶ֖רֶךְ לְעֵינֶֽיךָ׃
‎Ezek 34:4‏ אֶֽת־הַנַּחְלוֹת֩ לֹ֨א חִזַּקְתֶּ֜ם וְאֶת־הַחוֹלָ֣ה לֹֽא־רִפֵּאתֶ֗ם וְלַנִּשְׁבֶּ֙רֶת֙ לֹ֣א חֲבַשְׁתֶּ֔ם וְאֶת־הַנִּדַּ֙חַת֙ לֹ֣א הֲשֵׁבֹתֶ֔ם וְאֶת־הָאֹבֶ֖דֶת לֹ֣א בִקַּשְׁתֶּ֑ם וּבְחָזְקָ֛ה רְדִיתֶ֥ם אֹתָ֖ם וּבְפָֽרֶךְ׃ 

When using the INFER command to compare Lev 25 and Ezek 34 I cannot get these phrases to appear. I have tried various tweaks, but to no avail.

Any help appreciated.

It looks like your Ezek 34.4 reference contains only 2 out 6 lexemes. The number of ignored words in the INFER search must be less than 50% of the length of the phrase. 

Yes, the INFER really does not work on a phrase of only two words, minimum would be three, and allowing one to drop and one to be added. In Ezekiel there are 4 intervening words.

So there is no way this would ever show up in any kind of comparison search?

You could try the following:

Search passage one for words that occur, say, less than 100 times in the entire text, using [COUNT 1-99] [RANGE my range1]

Search passage 2 for hits from the first tab, using [HITS tab1] [RANGE my range2]

My guess is that it would show interesting overlapping vocabulary.

Helen, this appears to work! Thank you. I will run it by my colleague tomorrow.

This particular search worked, but did not catch everything my colleague thought was there. We increased the COUNT to 1-2000 and it caught several more significant correspondences without being overwhelmed with frequent OT words. Thanks again!

Another approach could eliminate (or include) certain parts of speech. For example, you could eliminate particles in the first search tab like this: ‏*@-‎[PARTICLE]‎[RANGE Lev 25]‏