Photo

Accordance experience on a Windows PC / tablet?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tomi

Tomi

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted Yesterday, 03:11 PM

As we all know money matters and so does a responsible stewardship of funds. In short - as an old time Mac user, I'm considering another platform as well namely Windows. My budget is tight and PC hardware is so much easier to acquire + there's wait for it ... Accordance for Windows! I might be hard pressed to buy a Windows PC or a tablet however I'm taking it into consideration and would greatly appreciate your feedback - ideally from those who are already running Accordance on both platforms and thus able to give a more substantial comparison between the two. Having said that - any feedback is a good feedback and a very welcomed one no matter which OS is your personal preference!

Also, what would be the bare hardware requirements for smooth running of Accordance on a Windows computer or a tablet - since I'm considering both options? Is Windows 10 any good?

I suppose the downside is not being able to sync Accordance notes, highlights etc. between Mac and Windows. If so, not being able to sync may become my main obstacle and for that reason alone I just might buy a second hand iPad and stay put within my Mac environment.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,
Tomi

#2 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

"I just might buy a second hand iPad and stay put within my Mac environment."

Tomi, up to about a year ago i was running accordance on my 16gig ipad2 which i have had for many years and was very happy with it until it pretended to die, so i would certainly consider a second hand ipad as an option. Ios 9 is very good.

Edited by ukfraser, Yesterday, 03:55 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 9x on iPad pro and iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#3 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:heritage homes, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music, ויין אשר ישמח לבב אנוש (Ps 104,15)
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Hi Tomi,

Since Acc runs on my lowliest of W10 tablets, I can confidently say that Acc will run on any W10 tablet. I have an Acer Iconia W510 with an Atom Z2760 chip, and 2 GB RAM. It isn't even supposed to run W10, but somehow I got it running, even the latest Creator's Update. Anything you get will be better than mine.

Minimum requirements - I have 2 GB, but I'd recommend 4 GB RAM as a minimum. I had a 4 GB Windows laptop, and looking back I don't see any difference between running Acc in it and my 8 GB laptop I used to run Acc on, or my 8 GB Mac mini running Acc now. The tablet will have an SSD so 4 GB should be plenty. And, practically every W10 tablet has a micro ssd slot to add storage space.

Is W10 any good? I used Windows exclusively for 25 years, since 3.0, and transitioned to Mac over the past two years. W10 is probably their best OS, and I'm impressed with W10 tablet mode. I switched to Mac for a few reasons, mostly for Mellel and its handling of long Hebrew files.

You can do more on the desktop version of Acc than the iOS one. But, at least on my lowly tablet, the touch screen doesn't always respond as quickly as a mouse, e.g., triple click is better with a mouse. So, if you get a W10 tablet, I'd recommend tablet mode with a wireless mouse for Acc. I remember Rick saying that some features of Acc require a mouse anyways.

I don't know about syncing. But I thought you could sync via Dropbox on both platforms. Someone else will know for sure. But if you get a Windows tablet, your next step might be an Android phone. Acc is working on an Android version.

Regards,

Michel

Edit: A mouse will also come in handy if you have a monitor lying around. I almost decided on a higher end W10 tablet to use with a monitor, and have the added convenience of unhooking it and continuing my work in another part of the house. If I wasn't doing the kind of work I'm doing, I would have chosen that route.

Edited by Michel Gilbert, Yesterday, 04:22 PM.

Accordance 11.2.5 & 2.5:

iPad mini 2, 10.3.2
Mac mini, Sierra, 10.12.4
MacBook x32, SL, 10.6.8

#4 Tomi

Tomi

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted Today, 03:54 AM

Thank you!

@ ukfraser - for encouraging me to stay with Mac

@ Michael - for the good word regarding W10 ... I already use an Android phone (hush, hush) ... waiting for Accordance version ;) 

Can anybody please confirm that indeed syncing via Dropbox is possible between different platforms?

Are there some other hiccups besides inadequate triple click response on a tablet? How serious it that issue? If I go for W10 tablet as a mobile device (there are some really affordable tablets nowadays) I really don't want to carry a mouse around just in order to triple click when needed? For that reason alone, I'd rather stick to my current version of "mobile" - my "bulky" 13" MB Air!

Anyone having a really pleasant experience of running Accordance on a W10 tablet?

Would comparing Accordance experience on an iPad vs. W10 tablet be an unfair comparison?

Appreciate you feedback.

Blessings,
Tomi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users