Verbs that occur more than once but only in non-finite forms

rwrobinson88

It there a way to search this in accordance? All the lemmas that occur more than one time in the NT but only occur in non-finite forms? 

An example of this is προΐστημι. It has six occurences but only as an infinitive or participle. 

Anyone know how to do this?

Hey Ryan, 

I'm not where I can test right now but my first shot would be something like : [verb inf]@[count 1+] <OR> [verb part]@[count 1+] to get the list of verbs having the non-finite forms. The you'll need a second tab to find the lemmas that have finite forms : [verb ind] <OR> [verb subj] etc.

I'd want to use [verb (inf, part)] but I'm not sure if that works.

Then a third tab to subtract [HITS <first tab>] <NOT> [HITS <second tab>].

The searches would be easier in a construct but not where I can run it up right now.

Thx

D

I suggest: In Tab 1 you search for all the finite verbs:

[VERB -(participle, infinitive)]

In Tab 2 you search for the non-finite verbs that occur more than once but do not have lexical forms found in the first tab:

[COUNT 2-100] @ [VERB (participle, infinitive)] @ -[HITS NA28 tab1]

The results look good to me in the Analysis, 112 forms.

• Like 1

That did it. Thanks Helen. I think I understand the logic of the search. :) 

I had a look over these and it looks like there is a doc bug about the [count n+] syntax. The doc says :

• [COUNT +3] or [COUNT 3+] finds all words that occur more than three times in the current range.
  • [COUNT -3] or [COUNT 3-] finds all words that occur less than three times in the current range.

This would suggest that [count 1+] and [count 2-10000] would find the same number of hits but they do not. Changing [count 1+] -> [count 2+] does find the same number of hits as [count 2-10000].

Thx

D

Please use the Report a Correction that is found in the bottom right corner of each page of the Help, for next time.

Reported it now.

thx

D