Graphic recomendation please

pjcria

I'm looking for the best resource that is linked to scripture to show on a map biblical locations referenced in scripture that runs on iOS. Do you have any suggestions?

The more i use it, the more i value the esv study bible. I am including a couple of screenshots of the list of maps , i think there are about 200 in total and the index and quality is about the best out there for IOs as well as getting a useful study bible. For me, i like index of maps rather than searching and as they are in the text, they sync nicely to the text you are reading. See jeremiah screenshot.

Zondervan and other atlases dont sync as you cant open them in a second window as they are general tools.

If you dont mind monochrome maps, (i do) then the carta bible atlas is probably the ultimate provided you dont mind flicking between screens, as its not available in the second pane as its not reference tool.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=C-Bible+Atlas+5

personally, Sacred bridge is truly fantastic, but i dont find it that good for reading with the bible, more an encyclopaedia for background research. i wouldnt bother with the zondervan atlas, i very rarely use it, typically last resort if i cant find what i want in esv or other study bibles or sacred bridge or my hard copy holman bible atlas and then zondervan doesnt include what i am looking for either.

But with the graphics deal currently on, you may want to look at those as they include the sat map atlas.

I know others will have other thoughts.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

ukfraser Thank you for your response, this is the kind of input I was looking for. The limitations of the iOS version hurt at times. I have a work flow at home and then when I'm out of the house at work or Church I have to modify how I use Accordance.

I've looked at getting the Graphics Pro Collection or the Carta Select Combo or just C-Bible Atlas or just C-Sacred bridge. I have not had the opportunity to look at any of these resources in book format so I'm shooting in the dark. The ESV study bible never crossed my mind as I don't use study bibles but that is a very comprehensive list of maps and may be worth upgrading to the study version just for that resource.

I am not sure how well this works on iOS, but the Satellite Bible Atlas by William Schlegel may also work well for what you want. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Satellite+Atlas

http://www.bibleplaces.com/satellite-bible-atlas-schlegel/

A.D.

From an analysis i did, esv study bible has basically the same maps as in the esv crossway atlas.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crossway-Bible-Atlas-John-Currid-ebook/dp/B00A0XABGU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494358352&sr=8-6&keywords=Bible+atlas

It so depends on what you want and your budget but sacred bridge and carta bible atlas are probably the best compliment for each other, but carta publications are excellent. I wouldnt be without sacred bridge (and youve just missed it on sale so its worth waiting again).

I use ios virtually all the time and my frustration is well documented in new ios features but the fact that accordance atlas and timeline dont work on ios and i doubt they will so Havent invested in the graphics package, though they are excellent value.

I have developed my own workflows but really like the way you can open a map full screen and then flip through the images to see maps on either side of where you are when using ios and have hopes that in a future version, you will reenter the resource where you now are rather than from where you started.

Let me know if there are specific examples you needas i appreciate how difficult it is to decide on products you havent seen in the flesh. However, carta do enable you to download pages from their site and if resources are on kindle, you can download a sample to get a flavour of how they look on ios.

Edited by ukfraser

This goes back to 2013, but not much has changed since I did a review of eleven Bible atlases in preparation for a Bible geography/survey class I was teaching. I first went with the New Moody Bible Atlas, but I did not have a good experience with it in class, and students were not happy. Since 2014, I have been using the Crossway ESV Bible Atlas by Currid and Barrett, and it is outstanding. The hardcover book is very reasonably priced, and it also includes online access to download the maps and illustrations in the atlas. I highly recommend it. The downloadable files are just JPEG, so they are platform independent. You can get it on Kindle, and the atlas is available digitally in BibleWorks. It is also available as an eBook (epub or Mobi) directly from Crossway. The Satellite Bible Atlas by William Schlegel is also nice and acquiring the book also gives you access to download the maps.

We do have the Satellite Bible Atlas in Accordance.

Helen noted the Satelite Bible Atlas available for Accordance. Its main attention is to chronologically laying out the Bible events from a geographical perspective. For something with a wider and deeper perspective, Accordance also offers Rasmussen's Zondervan Atlas of the Bible is another good option. All the Carta materials are excellent, but many of them are on a specific topic. The Sacred Bridge is the gold standard in the field, but it's more information than most people want to plow through. Carta's New Century Handbook and Atlas of the Bible is basically a condensed version of The Sacred Bridge that might be more accessible.

If I understand things correctly the OP's question was about running an atlas on iOS (and I'm presuming that's reflecting that the Accordance Atlas module does not yet run on iPad/iPhone). Since the other suggestions that have been made here are for book-type resources rather than an interactive tool, I'm assuming they are fine on iOS.

Mgvh,

I downloaded a sample of the esv crossway bible atlas and then checked the map index against the maps in the esv study bible and there is about a 95% duplication of the maps between the two resources. The advantage of the study bible is that as its a reference work, you can open it in a second window on the ios device and the bible text and reference material scroll so you are fairly near a map relevant to what you are reading.

Atlases are general tools so you have to flick between the text and the atlas via the recently opened or back to library and zondervan doesnt have a descent index so i find i usually have to run several searches before i actually get anything like a map which shows me what i want.

Having looked at the maps in kindle esv atlas and compared them with the same map in the esv study bible in accordance, the clarity of the way accordance has implemented it and displays the map full screen and sharp means its a no brainer as an alternative to specific atlases, especially those in other apps.

The satelite map is part of the graphics package which is on sale at the moment so very tempting but i still live in hope that brisco's holman bible atlas will come to accordance as i still prefer the clarity on comprehensive coverage of the maps (132 maps) when compared to the satelite (85 maps) and zondervan ( doesnt feel like many actual maps).

The carta bible atlas has to be the ultimate (about 300 maps), shame they are monochrome as we live in a colourful worldwhich now has data projection and affordable colour printers.

But these are very personal opinions and we all warm to certain styles of publication and become comfortable with what we are used to and the workflows we create.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1