2016 MacBook Pros?

Julia Falling

Who has one?  Which model/specs did you buy?  Would you buy the same computer again?  Is it your main machine or one used only when your desktop is not available?

My husband is using an older 13" MBP (early 2011).  It's about time to replace it with a newer laptop.  He'll probably go with another 13".

My son got a 13" MBP with a 2.0 GHz processor, 8GB memory, and 256 GB SSD in late December of 2016. It replaced a MacBook purchased in late 2007 or early 2008—yes the old MB was getting a bit dated and cranky. His main use is in academic work and the new MBP is his "does everything" computer. The heaviest use is with Microsoft Word and his collection of "stuff" related to his doctoral dissertation and the courses he teaches at CUA. He is very satisfied with the 2016 MBP. The only gotcha is the ability to connect older USB devices to the USB-C ports of the new MacBooks—if you have older USB devices you wish to connect, make sure you get the USBC to USB Adapter. He keeps reminding me how clunky my 2014 MBP looks compared to his new svelte machine! It really does work well for his needs.

Shalom,

Joseph

I got the 15" 2016 MacBook Pro (exact specs are in my signature below). It's a good computer, but I would recommend waiting (if you could) until Apple releases the 2017 models that have newer processors and a higher RAM limit. 

Also, in regard to USB-C, rather than getting adapters, I recommend replacing the USB cables entirely. This is generally less expensive, and I feel it's better to connect directly when you can rather than going through adapters. The switch to USB-C has not been a big deal for me. I actually began making the switch in 2015 with the USB-C MacBook. For those who remember the switch around 1998/99 from serial and ADB ports on older Macs to USB, that was a much more difficult situation because there were very few adapters (that worked), and you had to essentially replace entire peripherals. With USB-C, you can just replace the cables and continue to use your same peripherals. The only issue I've run into is that I have more than four USB-C devices that I sometimes want to connect and there are no USB-C-only hubs available yet. At best the hubs have a mix of USB-C and USB-A ports, when all I really want is C. I assume USB-C-only hubs will be available eventually as the demand increases. 

Thanks, guys.  Helpful input.  The replacement is not an emergency so we'll wait until after WWDC.

I have it. Love it. No regrets. I have a 15" model. 256 SSD. 16GB RAM (standard on 15" models). I would buy it again. I use it every day with no issues. 

Once Apple got the battery llife problem solved (it was the OS, not the hardware), I've heard nothing but good.  The only issue is that some, like our son, need more memory than the 15" MBP can take.  With this year's update, that very well may change.  Most of us don't need 32G RAM, however.

Edited by Julia Falling

When the new MBP's arrive, the demanding users will join Bob Hope in singing "Thanks for the Memory."

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 1

Once Apple got the battery llife problem solved (it was the OS, not the hardware), I've heard nothing but good.  The only issue is that some, like our son, need more memory than the 15" MBP can take.  With this year's update, that very well may change.  Most of us don't need 32G RAM, however.

Yes, I got really lousy battery life when I first got the 2016 MBP, but I get better now. Truthfully, I rarely use it unplugged anyway, but when I do, if I switch to Automatic Graphics Switching in System Preferences, I can get about 6 hours. Otherwise, I leave it set to use the AMD Radeon Pro 460 when plugged in. It seems a bit more responsive that way. 

I'd love to have 32 GB of RAM for video editing. Since I just got mine late last year, I won't upgrade this year, but if I have the cash in hand, I may when the 2018 updates come out. 

Battery life is one of the MBAir's strong points.  I've had 13 hours or more from mine.  But I don't have the power or the graphics available on the Pros.  We don't seem to be able to have it all.

I hope, with the new models, that there is some sort of break-away mechanism for the power cord.

I hope, with the new models, that there is some sort of break-away mechanism for the power cord.

It will not happen. MacBooks and MacBook Pros have already moved away from them and Mac casing designs tend to stick around for four or more years, generally. 

I guess this means we're stuck with the possibility of our Mac laptops flying off the desk and colliding with something (if they're plugged in).  Less than ideal.  

I'm not planning on replacing the Air for a year or so.  When the time comes, I'll just have to remember that I don't have the magnetic connector anymore & make suitable adjustments.  

There are third party USB-C replacements for MagSafe.

Thanks, Scott – That came up on another thread, but Keith said it didn't charge as fast and came loose too easily.  There may be a better solution now.  Since no one at our house has one yet, we haven't investigated.  We will do so when the time comes.