Would anyone here be interested in having this in Accordance?

Emanuel Cardona

Contact sales.  Once they have proof of purchase and are satisfied its a legitimate copy they usually add all the modules to your account, which you can then download as normal.  You shouldn't have to install the software, which in any case may prove difficult if it is written for the older iOS (Classic) versions.  

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Ok, great! Thank you so much, Paul! 

Alternatively opening the CD up and a folder will be there modules... Go to open under the file menu  do into the modules folder on the CDROM and install them all.... (the exception to installing them all comes to the possible inclusion of EBC/NIDNT/NIDOTTE IF those files are there they are locked to numbered code and were on the CDROM as convenience for purchasing an unlock. I do not remember which Zondervan CDROM came with those as an alternative, but do remember some later Zondervan CDROMS had them.

-dan

• Like 2

You should also get the niv study bible (2002) which also is not available for individual sale in accordance. although it has very annoying icons when viewed on ios, it does have its uses.

• Like 2

Thanks all! Unfortunately, of all the good modules that it includes, the topical Bible was my primary concern and it looks like I got the "compact" instead of the full version. Not good at all since I was willing to pay (and paid) a good amount hoping to get the full version.

Helen, is there any way to get the "full" version? I am willing to sacrifice all the other modules included just to get the full version.

Edited by Emanuel Cardona

Emanuel, unfortunately (as UK Fraser pointed out early on in this thread) the Naves topical bible in Accordance is the compact version. Personally, I still find it reasonably detailed and helpful and I'm wondering if there is a big difference between the two versions? ( I don't have anything to compare it with).  But I hope you can still enjoy the other modules.  

God bless, 

Paul.

Thanks all! Unfortunately, of all the good modules that it includes, the topical Bible was my primary concern and it looks like I got the "compact" instead of the full version. Not good at all since I was willing to pay (and paid) a good amount hoping to get the full version.

Helen, is there any way to get the "full" version? I am willing to sacrifice all the other modules included just to get the full version.

Emanuel, sorry to hear this was not the edition of NIV Nave's you were hoping to get. I could be mistaken, in which case someone will hopefully correct me, but I believe the compact NIV Nave's was the only one ever licensed to Accordance from Zondervan. As a customer, I purchased all of the Zondervan packages available back in the day, and I don't have anything but the compact edition myself. 

Since you ordered through Amazon, you may be able to return it and get a refund--even if it was sold through a third party. 

What i would do is go and make yourself a big cafetière of coffee, open your mac or pc and open accordance with two tabs, one with niv naves and one with the other naves. Then scroll through them both and check entries. One of rhe things you wanted was grouping and im guessing all words that need grouping will be in niv.

Minor words with minimal non groupable text may be missing

Depends how important those words then become.

But do it this weekend, then you can make an informed descision.

;o)

Ps my cd in june 2011 cost me $69 with $18 postage.

My first purchase was a tagged nrsv which set me back $49.

It just shows how we have become accustomed to recent lower prices that accordance have managed to negotiate for us.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Based on the description from Amazon.com, the key difference between the compact and full i the full has the verses printed out and the compact has only the references..

-dan

EDIT: here is part of  the description 

When you want to get a firm understanding of God's grace, where do you start? You could consult your concordance for every appearance of "grace" in the Bible. But what about those Scripture passages that don't use the word grace, yet are vital to understanding it? Reach for the NIV Compact Nave's Topical Bible. It broadens your scope beyond word-searches to topical studies. Now you're ready to deal not just with key words, but with concepts. Based on the award-winning Zondervan NIV Nave's Topical Bible, this compact edition omits biblical text while retaining virtually all of its topical muscle. All the entries are here, all the reference, all the definitions and notes. And like its full-sized counterpart, the NIV Compact Nave's Topical Bible improves on the original, King James Version-based Nave's Topical Bible by adding more than 500 headings, 2,000 subtopics, and 1,300 cross-references.

Edited by Daniel Francis

I was going to request a refund but I assume the differences are not that much, although I will take some more time to compare just to confirm the description from Amazon.com. The modules that were installed were very basic and compact references (compact dictionary, compact topical Bible, NIV study Bible, NIV notes, and a resource about places in the Bible).

That CD-ROM is 20 years old!

I urge anyone looking at old Accordance CDs offered on Amazon, ebay, etc., to exercise great caution. They are ALL obsolete, and many have probably been used and installed on the original owner's Mac so they are not entitled to sell the CD without proof that they themselves are no longer using the contents or the upgrades to them.

• Like 1

I feel really old now... I would hope no one is selling CDROM's and keeping the files, but I know that is an issue, however this is the only way to get the NIV study Bible, NIV Naves, and 1984 NIV. I honestly do not want anyone committing copyright violation but do understand the desire by some for these resources. Most particularly the NIV1984 which some people value as gold (I am one who much prefer 2011 NIV).

-dan

PS: Accordance offers DICTIONARY OF BIBLE THEMES which while I am not as big of fan of it as NIV Naves, it is a similar item, although I do come from a bit of ignorance with this one because I have the Study Bible version of it and am not too sure if it was greatly expanded from the Study Bible form of it I possess in Accordance. I had heard it was nearly identical to the SB version but I could have been misinformed.

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

Here is a sample from the SB version of the resource linked above:

sun
Created as a source of light and heat and an indicator of time and direction. The sun is also used as a metaphor for the splendor and light of God himself and the righteousness of his people.

•   Natural functions of the sun
A source of light Ge 1:16-18 See also Ps 136:7-8

A marker of time Ge 1:14 See also Ge 29:7; Ex 22:26; Jdg 9:33; 1Sa 11:9

An indicator of direction Nu 21:11 See also Ex 27:13; Dt 11:30; Jos 19:12; Ps 113:3; Isa 45:6

A blessing, necessary for life Ecc 11:7 See also Dt 33:13-14; Job 8:16; Mt 5:45

The scorching heat causing discomfort and harm Jnh 4:8 See also Ps 121:6; Isa 49:10; Mt 13:6; Jas 1:11; Rev 7:16

•   Worship of the sun

Forbidden to God’s people Dt 4:19 See also Dt 17:2-5; Job 31:26-28

Practiced in Israel and Egypt Eze 8:16 See also 2Ki 23:5-11; Jer 8:1-2; 43:13

•   Sunlight and God’s judgment 

Joel 2:31; Mt 24:29-30 pp Mk 13:24 pp Lk 21:25-26 See also Ex 10:21-23; Isa 13:9-10; Jer 4:28; Eze 32:7-8; Joel 3:14-15; Am 5:20; Mt 27:45 pp Mk 15:33 pp Lk 23:44 the crucifixion; Ac 2:20; Rev 6:12-17

•   God and the sun
God as creator and controller Job 9:7; Ps 74:16 See also Jos 10:12-13; 2Ki 20:8-11; Ps 19:1-6; 148:3-5; Isa 38:8; Jer 31:35-36; Hab 3:11

God likened to the sun Lk 1:78-79 See also Ps 84:11; Isa 9:2; Hab 3:4; Mal 4:2; Mt 17:2; 2Co 4:6; Rev 1:16

God’s glory outshines the sun Rev 21:23 See also Isa 24:23; 60:19-20; Ac 26:13; Rev 22:5

•   Metaphorical allusions to the sun

In Paul’s conversion experience Ac 26:13

As righteousness Ps 37:6; Mt 13:43 See also 2Sa 23:3-4; Pr 4:18; Isa 58:8-10; 62:1; Da 12:3

As constancy and dependability Hos 6:3 See also Ps 72:5-17; 89:36

The setting sun signifying a premature end Jer 15:9; Am 8:9; Mic 3:6

•   Miracles and signs concerning the sun

Darkening of the sun: Isa 5:30; 24:23; Am 8:9 The sun standing still or reversing: Jos 10:12-13; 2Ki 20:11; Isa 38:8; Hab 3:11

See also
4272    sky
4281    stars
4809    darkness
4821    east
4829    heat
4834    light, natural
4846    shadow
4857    west
4903    time
4918    dawn
4921    day
4960    noon

Alister E. McGrath et al., eds. The NIV Thematic Reference Bible. Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1999), paragraph 77275.
accord://read/Thematic_Study_Bible#77275
  • Like 1

Dan,

I have the print edition of the SB you mention (of course, in Accordance would have been better) and I like the introduction to every book of the Bible, but I am not sure if that content is included in the dictionary edition.

That would be another CDROM you'd have to search for lol... "The Zondervan Personal Growth Bible Study Suite for Macintosh"

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

It seems to be hard to find.

And it might be best to ask someone like Rick Mansfield if there is a significant difference in the study Bible edition and the dictionary version.

-dan

• Like 1

And it might be best to ask someone like Rick Mansfield if there is a significant difference in the study Bible edition and the dictionary version.

I'm confused. What is the title of the study Bible?

DICTIONARY OF BIBLE THEMES

and  The NIV Thematic Reference Bible by Alister E. McGrath. (Which was in Accordance)

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis

Ah. See, I've never used either of these resources enough to even realize they were related. With only a cursory examination of them side by side, I'm inclined to think that if you have one, you pretty much have the other, too--at least as far as the most important content goes. Here are a few screenshots including the "sun" example that you offered earlier, Dan.

Screenshot%20(71).png

Screenshot%20(83).png

Screenshot%20(93).png

The only disadvantage to the new dictionary format is the inability to have it scroll along.

-dan

Thank you, Dan and Rick! Very helpful screenshots!