Is an Advertisement for a module that handles NT quotations of the OT misleading?

Enoch

I have seen ads for modules that address Quotations of the Hebrew Bible in the NT.  I realize that this is a common way of speaking, but technically (& in fact) there are little or no quotes by the NT of the OT, Tanakh, "Hebrew Bible" (Ps 22 cry of desolation, etc., excluded).  To speak that way forgets the definition of a quote.  A quote must be the exact words said or it is a paraphrase, giving the gist, an allusion or whatever else.  Since the NT is written in Greek, it generally does not quote the Tanakh.  If it did so, it would have to change to Hebrew (or Aramaic for part of Daniel or Ezra) for the quote.  A proof text from the OT in the NT gives the gist of the Hebrew/Aramaic OT text in Greek

IMHO:  As to the Greek Old Testament (actual LXX being mostly lost), since our Greek OT comes after the NT, it is generally hard to prove that the NT quotes the LXX; our extant Greek OT could have been modified to agree with the NT. 

Thus I suggest that such ads should refer to modules that enhance the study of the Tanakh in the NT without using "Quotations."

I do not think that even today a "quotation" has to be exact to be considered a quote, and certainly in ancient times it did not. People did not have access to the written word to check the accuracy, let alone online instant searches for any combination of words.

I also do not think that most scholars would agree with your other assertions about the Greek versions of the Hebrew Bible. Our own edition of the Dead Sea Scrolls Greek Biblical texts demonstrates a striking correlation with the later full LXX MSS that have come down to us.

• Like 4