Can you count Hebrew words (graphic units)?

Megan Turton

Hey there!

I was wondering if there is a way to count Hebrew words, with "word" being defined as a graphic unit that has a space on either side of it. The function for counting Hebrew "words"   * <AND> [RANGE Hebrew text] actually counts morphemes: grammatical units of meaning smaller than words (although the counting excludes pronominal suffixes, for some reason).

Is there also a way that you can count Hebrew words (graphic units)?

Thanks for your help!

All the best,

Megan. 

There is no way to count what you define as a word. Remember, by the way, that the original manuscripts often did not use spaces.

If you count the lexical forms you won't be counting the suffixes as they have no lexical forms. You can try counting all lexical forms with an asterisk, but adding @ minus [Particle] to ignore the prefixes, but you will lose some words that are only particles or particles with a suffix.

• 3 months later...

So we solved this using Darren Frnaklin’s  RegexForAccordance.

What a marvellous little app it is for this sort of thing, and thanks to Darren for his help.

I second the request I saw on the thread deaoing with RegexForAccordance to have this functionality built into accordance., perhaps as an advanced search feature.

Anyway, problem solved and Megan is happy.

• Like 2

Would it be easier to simply add a way to search for a white space in Accordance?

• Like 1

. . . RegexForAccordance . . . as an advanced search feature.

. . . a way to search for a white space

+1 (or is it +2?) to these

• Like 1

Certainly native regex support generally would be really nice.

So we solved this using Darren Frnaklin’s  RegexForAccordance.

What a marvellous little app it is for this sort of thing, and thanks to Darren for his help.

I second the request I saw on the thread deaoing with RegexForAccordance to have this functionality built into accordance., perhaps as an advanced search feature.

Anyway, problem solved and Megan is happy.

What was the solution? I also downloaded the regex app but it crashes every time I perform a search. 

RegexforAccordance is broken at the moment. Darin Franklin does maintain it when he gets a new Mac later this year.

Greetings

Fabian

What was the solution? I also downloaded the regex app but it crashes every time I perform a search.

Darin is working on an update soon. I downloaded the source code and compiled it against Xcode 9. It worked when I did that.

Version 1.0.7 of RegexForAccordance is available now. It fixes the crash on macOS 10.12.6.

https://github.com/darinfranklin/RegexForAccordance/releases/tag/v1.0.7

If you have any more problems, just send a private message to get my attention.

Edited by Darin Franklin
  • Like 2