Unreliable Dropbox Syncing

rcdeacon

Accordance 12.1, Windows 10 Creators Update.

Dropbox syncing has become rather unreliable. I have made changes in highlighting and notes on my ipad air 2 and did a Dropbox sync. When I tried to sync to my windows box I am informed that the sync is complete but all of the recent highlights (and perhaps notes) are NOT there! This has happened before during the beta cycle but only once and it did not repeat itself so I did not report it. I have tried multiple times today to sync (4) with no success.I realize that Accordance 12.0.6 is reposted for download but I am hoping a fix is in the making!

Bob

It is worth noting that NO data or corruption of data has occurred to my knowledge just NO additional new data has been synced to my Windows laptop.

Edited by Bob Deacon

I have had the same issue with Dropbox sync, as well as sync hanging on both platforms (MacOS/iOS).

OK. I have finally achieved a successful sync. Not sure exactly how many tries before it happened but I now have all of my highlights. Will check on the notes later.

Bob

Bob and Jordan,

If this happens again, then I recommend that you work with our technical support team to gather diagnostic information. This information will help us determine if there is an issue with a local file, sync history, or something else. Also, we might have some recommendations for your highlighting workflow.

Sorry for the hassles,

Mike

Will do Mike. Thanks

Bob

The sync issue as I have encountered it is this: the desktop version on my PC doesn't keep the latest file - it simply copies what is on the desktop out to DropBox, even if DropBox is the new file.  This is a killer because I often use my iPad to highlight items and then sync it to DropBox, and later open my desktop version and sync those.  Now when I do that, the desktop Accordance copies its OLD highlight file back out to DropBox, even when DropBox has the new file.  If I happen to resync with my iPad, I have now lost everything. (I guess I could go into DropBox and restore from a prior version, but it is difficult to guess which one was wrongly replaced).  

This is very frustrating and just started with this version.  I wish Accordance would test key features (like highlights, stacks, notes, etc) BEFORE releasing to make sure they work.  The destructive nature of this particular bug has caused me to lose several hours of analysis and 'first-read' observations.

taylorsteve,

I am sorry about the dropbox problems you are seeing.  Do you get this behavior when trying to sync from the Mac OS X or from Windows?

Is the Accordance version you are running the latest (12.1)?  Your profile says 11.x - I just wanted to make sure that you are up to date.

Orly - yes I am on 12.1 - the most current version. My PC is my primary workstation, and I have not tried syncing from my Mac because I don't want to risk any more losses to highlights by upgrading it. 

Thanks,

Steve

Steve:

I sent you a PM, as your issues seem a bit different than those in the OP so we can pursue them separately.

Thanks.

-Scott

I still cannot reliably Dropbox sync! The problem seems to center around my PC. I have done a Dropbox sync this morning about 4 or 5 times trying to sync recent notes and highlights FROM my PC to my Ipad Air 2. The process appears to work normally on the PC but when I attempt to sync my ipad it says "nothing to sync". Even though I have repeatedly synced my PC (with no changes) it still goes through the motions of a normal sync when it should inform me on the PC "nothing to sync". Not sure what is happening here but it seems to be on the PC end.

Bob

EDIT: From ipad to PC seems to work fine, from PC to ipad NOT!

Edited by Bob Deacon

Tried to sync via usb. Accordance crashed three times.

Bob

Yes. Tried to connect the old way with cable to PC

Yes. Tried to connect the old way with cable to PC

If I'm correct this was never supported. Thats why 

USB?

Greetings

Fabian

Syncing over USB has never been supported. 

Ok. Figured that out, then tried to sync over wireless network. Crashed again! Unlinked from Dropbox and ensured both devices were on the same network and Accordance crashed again. Crash log as follows:

Accordance Crash Log
    Memory load (MB): 39% Physical: 8108 Avail: 4932
    Free disk user (MB): 745741 All free: 745741
    Accordance Version 12.1.0 (12.1.0.0)

Address:   $6ACE2561

Backtrace: 
  $6ACE2561
  $004D7A0B
  $004DAA0A
  $0095E9C4
  $0095FB80
  $004B6198
  $0056C082
  $00547269
  $00549821
  $0054C705
  $0054E31F
  $77412B5B
  $774050F3
  $77404D4A
  $7740EC69
  $77B1416D
  $773F090F

I suspected that my shabby internet connection was at  least part way responsible for the unreliable Dropbox sync in Windows BUT after relocated to a very good internet connection the problem persists! I cannot transfer highlights from ipad to PC reliably and I cannot transfer highlights from PC to ipad at all! I have spent time trying to isolate the problem and can find no clue as to this behavior. I understand Dropbox made some changes and that is perhaps part of the reason for 12.1. I am willing to do whatever I can to help solve this.

Bob

Hey Bob,

We were hoping that we could arrange a time to screen share with you, so that we can gather some debugging information from your PC. TeamViewer would be best. Please contact us in support, at your convenience.

Thanks,

Billy

Billy, love to do that. I will be tied up the next two days with Dr. appts. Will try to call and set up Thurs AM. Thanks.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Orly - yes I am on 12.1 - the most current version. My PC is my primary workstation, and I have not tried syncing from my Mac because I don't want to risk any more losses to highlights by upgrading it. 

Thanks,

Steve

I have just had a similar problem. I spent a lot of time preparing highlight files for 2 new research projects I am starting this week and when I used dropbox sync the new files were deleted from my mac I am also running Accordance 12.1 and not game to do anymore with highlights until I know I can sync with dropbox and not lose data files.

I have just had a similar problem. I spent a lot of time preparing highlight files for 2 new research projects I am starting this week and when I used dropbox sync the new files were deleted from my mac I am also running Accordance 12.1 and not game to do anymore with highlights until I know I can sync with dropbox and not lose data files.

Is your Windows version of the program 12.1?

Do you know how big the highlight file(s) are? If they are over 262,144 bytes in size, there is a bug fix that is being tested now.

-Scott

Do you know how big the highlight file(s) are? If they are over 262,144 bytes in size, there is a bug fix that is being tested now.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I said in my post I upgraded to 12.1. I don't know how big they are because syncing to Dropbox deleting them, but they were not that big, only about 20 or so entries in each file.

-Scott

Also I am on a mac not windows.

Hi Gordon,

Sorry for the confusion on the dropbox problem/platform. I see from the communications with tech support that you lost some newly created highlight files after doing a dropbox sync. Unfortunately, this is a bug intruduced in version 12.1 (on Mac) and should be fixed in 12.1.1.

Please try creating a new highlight file, perfrom a dropbox sync, and let us know if there are any problems,

Mike