NEW! Preacher's Commentary series (35 volumes)

R. Mansfield

Trusted by pastors everywhere, THE PREACHER'S COMMENTARY series (35 volumes) is now available for the Accordance Bible Software Library with incredible 72% OFF introductory pricing for a limited time!

For more information, please see today's blog post.      

Accordance 12 screenshot:

Preachers%20Commentary.png

• Like 1

The introductory price is great! I am thinking of getting the series...I just can't seem to find any reviews outside of one left by Dan (which is great), but I'm looking for more of a consensus. Anyone care to help? 

Keith,

It really depends on what else you have. There are several expository/homiletical commentaries that I prefer including Wierbe Be Series; Preaching the Word; NIV Application and NT Wright's Everyone series. It does cover the complete bible which is nice and there are a few really good volumes such as Walter Kaiser on Micah-Malaci; Doug Stuart on Ezekiel and the volume on Daniel.

From the introduction to Hebrews: "This commentary series is not designed for many footnotes and quotations. Rather, it is to be an aid to those who desire to teach and illustrate the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ out of responsible scholarship but without the heavy drapes of academic sophistication." I think that summarized the approach of much of these commentaries well.

Louis H. Evans Jr and Lloyd J. Ogilvie, Hebrews (vol. 33; The Preacher’s Commentary Series; Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Inc, 1985), 17.

If you do not have any of the above and want an expository/homiletical commentary that covers the entire bible it is a good deal, but it is not my go to commentary.

• Like 1

Hey John, thank you for your prompt reply. I have Wiersbe Be Series, NIVAC OT/NT, Wright's for Everyone series, not Preaching the Word though. Thanks for the advice John! 

Hi Keith,

I would second John's thoughts and say while it is good in and of itself, it does show its age against resources such as Preaching the Word. It is a homiletical commentary so its insight is useful for preachers, but you are only going to see how one person decided to deal with the text in their context.

I own it on another platform and even at the sale price can't justify buying it just to have it in Accordance.

I have said it before and will say it again if you are a Preacher then you really should consider getting the Holman Bible Commentary (it is included in the English Discover Collection). I believe Accordance would do well to see if the Preachers Commentary Series could be added to a future collection. It would complement Holman well in that category.

Anyhow here is an Outline of 2 Corinthians from the Preachers Commentary

Leadership With Integrity: 1:1–24

- The Fellowship of Suffering: 1:1–11
- Making Clear Where You Stand: 1:12–24
The Sweet Smell of Victory: 2:1–17

- When Things Go from Bad to Worse: 2:1–4
- Learning to Forgive and Restore: 2:5–11
- Learning to Live with a Sense of Winning: 2:12–17
The Religion of the Spirit: 3:1–18

- Based on Superior Credentials: 3:1–6
- Based on a Superior Covenant: 3:7–18
The Unconquerable Spirit: 4:1–18

- The Gospel We Share: 4:1–6
- The Unconquerable Life: 4:7–18
The Hope that Motivates: 5:1–21

- Looking at Life After Death: 5:1–11
- The Motive for Ministry: 5:12–21
The Consistent Life: 6:1–18

- The High Cost of Ministry: 6:1–13
- The Separated Life: 6:14–18
When Pain Produces Joy: 7:1–16
Learning to Enjoy Giving: 8:1–24

- Learning from the Giving of Others: 8:1–15
- Managing Well What is Given: 8:16–24
Seeing the Spiritual in the Secular: 9:1–15
How to Deal with Critics: 10:1–18

- Authority that is Real: 10:1–11
- Boasting in the Lord: 10:12–18
The High Cost of Caring: 11:1–33

- The Parenting Concern: 11:1–21
- Suffering for the Cause: 11:22–33
The Basis for Glorying: 12:1–21

- A Vision of God: 12:1–10
- Learning to Relate to People: 12:11–21
A Warning and a Blessing: 13:1–14

• Like 1

It is offered at an ok price (probably best one that is going to come along these days as I don't see Zondervan allowing the lower prices that often came up when Nelson was in charge). I really love some volumes, it is sometimes a bit dated in examples but I have enjoyed it over the years... It is sometimes much better than the Be Series sometimes not as good... I think this is a good set to own but if you own many devotional sermon type commentaries perhaps you don't need this, it has some really wonderful volumes and weaker ones... I do not use it always but I have found it useful over the years.

-dan

PS: I also am not planning on duplicating it in Accordance.. If the only sermon styled/devotional commentary i owned was the Be Series I would say this is a good compliment for it... If you own several perhaps this one is not needed. It was one I had when I didn't have too many others and use to use it a lot I found it had a fair amount of insight, it is not NIB or Interpretation but those were two I was primarily using along with EBC, this made a nice compliment for those 3. Even after buying the Be Series I found I personally still used PCS more often. I have many more sets now but still go back to the PCS now and then and find value in it.

Edited by Daniel Francis

I noticed Rick hand't tagged this with the end of sale tonight at midnight warning just the general sale page. I have enjoyed this series over the years and I cannot recommend it as a good value at it's regular price but it is arguably in my mind being offered now at a fair price, so wanted to remind people this may be your only chance to get this at a good price. Ultimately you will all have to decide if this is a set you need, but now is the time to get it if this set is something you want.

-dan

Below is a very brief snippet from this set that feed my soul in the last week:

Paul does not say [in Galatians 2] how the revelation came, whether directly from Spirit, or through some other person. Nor does he specify whether this was a specific revelation uniquely related to this visit or ongoing guidance—the indwelling Christ in his life moving him with conviction. In either sense, the truth is relevant to our lives. We can be led, and we can claim that leading. Sometimes, God speaks to us directly, Spirit to spirit, to meet a particular need in our lives, or to provide specific guidance. We should guard against always associating this experience with the dramatic. The revelation doesn’t have to come directly. It can come through another who speaks the right word at the right time. In that word, things can come together and bring clarity for our confusion and we can know ourselves led. And of course revelation—leading—comes through Scripture. Immersing ourselves in the Word, we are led to passages for particular needs. Or, the cumulative power and inspiration that comes from disciplined reading of Scripture builds up within our minds and hearts to provide a residual stream of guidance and strength. Paul went by revelation to Jerusalem, but he responded to reason—our God-given capacity to think through and decide. He wanted to communicate with the Christian leaders “lest by any means I might run, or had run, in vain.” Reason and revelation were working together, though at times in tension. Paul had no doubt about the truth of the gospel he was preaching; he was certain of his revelation. His dis-ease came from his reasoned belief that the disapproval of his work by the leading apostles would render him ineffectual. Certainly it could seriously interfere with and hinder his mission. It was a matter of utmost importance to Paul not only to prevent the forcing of the Jewish law upon Gentiles, but also to maintain the unity of the church, avoiding division into Jewish and Gentile branches. Paul carried that tension within him, and his conduct throughout his notable career demonstrated his commitment to that unity. Following his reason, Paul was willing to divert energy and time from his work of preaching to the Gentiles to raise money for the poor, personally to carry that offering to Jerusalem, and to consult with the apostles there to divert division. —Maxie D. Dunnam, Galatians / Ephesians / Philippians / Colossians / Philemon, vol. 31, The Preacher’s Commentary Series

Introductory Sale Price is good through July 3, 2017 (11:59 pm EDT) and cannot be combined with any other discounts.

I noticed Rick hand't tagged this with the end of sale tonight at midnight warning just the general sale page.

To quote Clint Eastwood from The Gauntlet, "Nag, nag, nag."

But yes, introductory pricing for the Preacher's Commentary series ends at midnight EDT tonight!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got it recently under $100 from someone who had an extra copy of it in the Logos platform which happens to be my main Bible software. E-sword has it for $79 and change but I haven't used e-sword in ages. I only have 3 premium Bible softwares so I think that should be enough; so I'm glad I got it for under $100 since I strongly believe Zondervan overpriced it WAY to much! It's an average or less than average (because of the age) commentary that shouldn't cost more than $60 bucks IMHO

Anyway, hopefully Zondervan will put it on a lower sale price sooner like they've done in the past with the NIVAC OT/NT which is far better than this set.

I think $79 is fair and would have hoped that is what Accordance could have offered it at in introduction... Unfortunately  they were not able to... Which is a shame especially when Zondervan seems to have different rules in place (you will sell it for this price, but our platform can offer it for $79) I have no idea of the exact particulars of their contracts but know I have heard in other places the contracts often have a bottom point you will never sell it for less than $xx.xx..... I like this series and was thinking the price offered while high might be the best Accordance was allowed to offer. I most certainly do not feel it is worth regular price but felt it was worth considering at the lower price. And for $79 well worth it... but that is just my thoughts.

-dan

• 1 year later...

Thomas Nelson & Zondervan Surprises

Publisher's Special - 81% Off! 

The Preacher's Commentary

(35 Volumes)

General editor Lloyd J. Ogilvie brings together a team of skilled and exceptional communicators to blend sound scholarship with life-related illustrations.

The design for the Preacher's Commentary gives the reader an overall outline of each book of the Bible. Following the introduction, which reveals the author's approach and salient background on the book, each chapter of the commentary provides the biblical translation of the Scripture to be exposited. The paragraphs of exposition combine fresh insights to the Scripture, application, rich illustrative material, and innovative ways of utilizing the vibrant truth for his or her own life and for the challenge of communicating it with vigor and vitality.

Reg. Price: $539

Publisher's Special Sale Price: $99.99

I'm tempted by this set but am trying to understand Thomas Nelson's rational for the regular price of $539 when they sell the ebook version on their own website (as well as all other ebook stores) for just $3.99! Based on this I would have expected the regular price to be around $99 (to account for tagging, etc.), is there any reason for such a high starting price? I'd rather own in Accordance but this pricing decision by the publisher is quite disappointing.

It used to be $89, then it went up to $99, then $127 and finally it went up to this outrageous $599 price tag. I own it in my other Bible software an it has a few insights here and there. Not a scholarly work, but useful. Geared more toward the layperson IMO

I agree, I read a few samples before picking it up today for $3.99 as an ebook, figured I can't go wrong for this price. It's surprisingly nimble too, compared to other cumbersome and hard to navigate ebooks I have experienced in the past. Would much rather have it synced to Accordance though...

When Zondervan purchased Nelson almost all their works jumped up to an insane price. This sale price brings it down to $2.85 a volume which is very reasonable. The $3.99 I had assumed was per volume, I am guessing it has to be some sort of error as $6.99 a volume is the individual volume Ebook price. It is more of a lay aimed commentary but I have found it useful, I am happy to learn it is available for such a cheap price but blows me away that it is.

-Dan

PS: Before Zondervan I saw sale prices of this set as low as $35 but never $4.

The full set is currently $3.99 on every official ebook website I could find - whether ePub or Kindle, including Thomas Nelson’s own site, but you’re right, the individual volumes are also available separately at a higher price. It must be a special promotional price. One of the online reviews implies it used to be $40 for the ebook set.

The regular price of $539 is shocking and should be queried, especially given that the set used to be available more reasonably.

This publisher has a history of severely undercutting the prices of every other digital platform with their own ePubs / eBooks. We cannot control this. While they may have gotten better at quality control (I recall one of their major authors pulling his work from Kindle because the eBook they produced / outsourced was so poor in quality), there is really no comparison to the integration of commentaries in an app like Accordance. Whether that is worth the price difference is your decision. 

• Like 1

there is really no comparison to the integration of commentaries in an app like Accordance. Whether that is worth the price difference is your decision. 

Thanks Rick and I agree, I would much rather own this in Accordance. The publisher's decision to inflate the original pricing and charge over $500 more to own this in Accordance (at regular pricing) is quite shocking to me. I don't think anyone would think this price difference is worth it, even $96 is stretching it for me.

Is it worth it to be able to scroll along with the Bible is it worth it to be able to click links or hover and immediately see the Bible verse? This type of integration to me is worth extra, what has happened here I do not know. I swallowed the cool aid and paid $3.19 CANADIAN on Kindle to grab it. You can navigate fairly decently with the kindle version. And I cannot defend the price of $99  for it even though as I pointed out it is a very reasonable price for a good series. I would never recommend anyone pay full price or even the $399 price they have for it over at Olivetree which is the publishers Bible software. And I must admit if this good sale price has not been enough to convince me that I need duplicate it in Accordance, but if the eBOOK price had been say $40 I would argue the usability in Accordance is well worth paying a bit over double for (when I utilize accordance I almost always view every scripture linked but in a paper or ebook like this I have to really be curious to avail myself of all the references). I must admit the picture in my mind coming up is getting french fries tossed on the ground in a bag verses having the fries set on an elegant table on a beautiful china plate with all the condiments.... You may not mind picking them off the ground and eating them but its not an ideal consumption experience. THIS IS NOT TO IMPLY OVERCHARGING. Zondervan controls the "french fries" and the prices that can be charged, but it is well to quote Jesus “Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or are you envious because I am generous?’” (Matthew 20:15 New Revised Standard Version of the Bible) We may not like it, nor may it seem fair but I can be glad that people can get this decent resource for virtually free. I feel safe in saying there is well over $100 worth of insight there how much more to say there is well worth many times $4 even though you may have to work a bit harder for them in the ebook format.

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

Well put Dan - totally agree with you

I'm actually preparing a message on Esther at the moment and am so far really enjoying this commentary on chapter 1. Since it commentates on a larger section of Scripture with verses quoted in full and pretty decent hyperlink navigation it's not too bad in ebook format as I can just read it. That said I would much rather have it in Accordance with all my other commentary sets to quickly compare, scrolling with my Bible text and able to hover over references, as you say if the ebook was $40 I could probably justify the $99 and paying the extra for the integration into Accordance.