Searching for added words in English versions

John Cook

Is there a way to search for words that are added (for clarity) in the English translations? I'm interested, for example, in the JPS (1985) bracketed words, or (more difficult yet), the italicized words in KJV, that appear in verses like 1 Kgs 22:15 (below). When I search for [it] it only allows me to search for the pronoun, not the brackets.

John

March and triumph! The LORD will deliver [it] into Your Majesty’s hands.” (JPS)

Go, and prosper: for the LORD shall deliver it into the hand of the king. (KJV).

In the JPS you could search: .[ * .] 

This would find a word within brackets. The period searches for the bracket. Make sure there is a space before and after the asterisk. 

*edit: for two words in brackets: .[ * * .]

and so on...

The search: *@ -[KEY *]

would find every word that is not tagged. This obviously includes more than the italics words. Searching just the italics is not going to be possible.

Edited by Jordan S

Instead of doing the bracket searches manually, why not just search for all words (*) but set the Bracketed Words condition to 'Exclusive'?

Thanks Joel. I was under the impression that the bracketed feature applied only to original language texts. This is very helpful for my quick and dirty search for pronouns dropped (or left unexpressed) in BH. Hoping to catch null items we've left out of the Hebrew syntax.

Yeah, I've never tried that with an English text. Good to know!