J. Vernon McGee - Thru The Bible

BHopkins

I loved this guy's radio program!

• Like 1

Before the Internet there was shortwave radio (and still is, CQ HF SSB DX 73 DE 2E0LBX) There were no Christian radio stations in Britain, but you could get TransWorld Radio from Monte Carlo in the late evening and early morning. There I first heard J. Vernon McGee, Charles Swindoll and John MacArthur, among others.

On shortwave I was also able to pick up HCJB from Quito in Ecuador, and from the USA stations such as WWCR (South Bend, Indiana?), WHRI (Lester Sumrall I think) and WYFR from Okeechobee Florida (remember Harold Camping?)

I even have a couple of McGee's books somewhere.

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 2

Oh wow. That brings back some memories!

• Like 2

I think the Internet diminishes the sense of adventure, and use of the imagination compared to when we tuned in to far away and exotic places.

I never tuned in to McGee though.

Regards,

Michel

Alister, I too have spent many hours listening to those stations.  Two tough ones to get because they are close to me are WINB, about a half hour drive due south, and WMLK, about an hour drive NNE of my location. I had to move some things around in my basement man cave last week, and I ran across an old SWL logbook. The first entry was from 18 FEB 1978, 0400 to 0431 UTC with HCJB on 11915kHz. The program details noted are News, followed by Music Through the Night. I listed the names of the songs, discussion topics, etc. Good memories.

73 de N3MKH

• 1 year later...