Hebrew Vocabulary Word Lists (manually managed)

Michael B

New Feature Request:   Manually Managed Hebrew/Aramaic Vocabulary Word Lists

While reading Tanach / Hebrew Bible and Mishnah, I maintain a list of words that I find I am looking up too often, or which I know are critical building blocks for vocabulary.   In a weekly Torah portion, there may only be a few words I want to come back to (so definitely not the auto-generated big list) - I want to add them to a vocab list.   The goal is to systematically build my vocablary and decrease reliance on dictionaries. 

List Creation and Maintenance:

Ideally, I'd be able to have a number of different lists - (Mishnah words,  perhaps words that relate to cooking, etc., i.e. based on various different and evolving senses of logic).      My own, manually created translation / english notes would be a critical field.   

Export as .CSV

I've become a "quizlet" user (it's a iPhone virtual flashcard app, see:  https://quizlet.com/help/2444107/import-content-to-quizlet ).      The CSV might have multiple columns (for example, I have HALOT, so I might find that entry useful, or part of it).  

Other Features:

Concordance:  It would be super cool if the system would then also allow me to hover over the words and see where else they're used.  Date added to list would be nice.  Frequency of occurance?  Ability to add a mark over Hebrew text in tanach, (and maybe a large order of french fries with that...)

Even a rudimentary version of this would be great.  I've tried to use "User Notes" feature, but it really isn't graceful.   For what it's worth, the *app* version of google translate, which allows marking an entry with a star "*" is really great, and might provide an alternative model, which would support building vocabulary building with respect to a specific dictionary.   The problem with that is that Aramaic entries (words, if not content) from HALOT, should be able to co-exist with words best looked up BDB, for example.

This is similar to, but not the same as:  https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/21569-generating-hebrew-word-lists/  

Thank you, Michael

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Michael,

I would very much like to see an ability to create manual vocabulary lists too!

It my Biblical Hebrew course, we do homework each week where we need to translate a verse.

If I could create a vocabulary list based on words I am not familiar with... maybe by tagging or highlighting the word, that would be very helpful to me. This way, I can go back and review just the words I struggled with.

Exporting that list into Quizlet later would be ideal.

Great suggestion and thank you,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

I may have figured out a lengthy work around to create a vocabulary list based only on highlighted words in the text.

Here are the steps I use.

1. As you read through the verses, highlight the individual words you would like to study later.

2. At the top, select SEARCH in the menu then ENTER COMMAND then STYLE.

3. Change the "?" in the [STYLE ?] to an asterisk(*) so it reads [STYLE *] instead. Hit RETURN/ENTER. All the verses containing the highlighted words should now be visible.

4. We only want to see the highlighted words but to accomplish this, you need to select all of the verses that are now visible by using the SELECT ALL function or CMD A.

5. Now, at the top AMPLIFY menu choose LANGUAGE (near the bottom) then PARSING. A new window should open up with all the words in the verses that are visible.

6. In that new window, select the gear icon/settings. At the top of that menu you will see INCLUDE - choose  "HIT WORDS ONLY".  

7. You can customize the columns you want to see in your vocabulary list in this gear icon/settings.

8. Once you have it set the way you like it, at the top menu bar, go to FILE then SAVE AS TEXT FILE, (not SAVE AS), then PLAIN TEXT (.rtf doesn't work).

9. Open up Excel and choose IMPORT to import the .txt file. 

10. From within Excel, you can customize the columns and fonts. I like TIMES NEW ROMAN for the Hebrew. I think several flashcard programs will import an Excel file but I haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps!