Best Way To Organize Reading And Translation

JohnABarnett

I am embarking on a project that includes daily GNT reading and translation. The way I envision it, I will work chapter by chapter, entering my lexical, grammatical, and syntactical notes along with a preliminary translation. 

I'd prefer to use a built-in Accordance feature that would scroll in parallel with the GNT text. But I'm confused about the best way to approach this. Would it be best to work with User Notes, or User Tools? I haven't really used much of either yet, using Accordance primarily for reading and research but without taking notes.

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by JohnABarnett

I think I answered my own question, and User Tools is what I should use. If anyone has a different suggestion, feel free to comment.

Others can correct me but i see user notes as very much verse by verse (so single verses only).

As you want to a longer section of a chapter with multiple verses, have you considered stacks? I tend to work with larger chunks so stacks was a game changer for me. (Possibly also consider papers if you want to have it available for others.)

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/21139-154-stacks/

Edited by ukfraser

Thanks for the suggestions, my friend. The verse by verse is one concern I had. I'd prefer paragraph by paragraph. I've never worked with Stacks before. I'll check it out.

Edited by JohnABarnett

The last time I really did this, translating the Psalms in the LXX, I used LibreOffice to hold the translation and notes.

Bear in mind that while User Notes (UN) are Unicode, User Tools (UT) are not. As a bit of a disclaimer I'm a strong believer in Unicode for language work. In addition you may find some of the editing and styling capabilities in UT a bit frustrating depending upon what you want to do.

I used Stacks for notes in my daily reading but one problem I have is that they cannot reorder by verse reference (this could be done it could only work in restricted contexts because Stacks support a variety of content) so I don't think I'd put the translation itself in one. That said I would very likely use them for pointing to all kinds of reference material in Accordance during the translation.

If I was doing this again I might try a dedicated translation editor. I think Paratext is now available for private work by individuals, for example.

I might just use a GFM compatible Markdown editor actually. Hmmm.... thoughts to be had here are interesting.

You may want to use a three document model : the source text, the notes you make (UT or Stacks), and your translation (UB or perhaps Paper - I've not used them much, or external file).

It depends a bit on how you view the publication of the translation afterward. I've also used User Bibles (UB) for translation in which case you can import them into Acc and compare them with other translations. In this case you also have to keep the notes separate from the translated text.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, Daniel. Food for thought.