Dropbox sync needs to be paused when there is no internet connection available.

philipwfarris

Hi,

I’ve gotten a hang trying to close Accordance or shut down the computer, with Accordance open, because Accordance wants to do a Dropbox sync before it shuts down.

This is all good, and expected, but, it seems like Accordance does not know what to do when I am riding in the car and there’s no internet connection for my MacBook Pro.

Dropbox sync keeps struggling to save my session, etc, and it will not let me shut down Accordance. I sometimes have to do a force quit.

Is there some way that you can have Accordance check to see whether there is an internet connection available before requesting the dropbox sync?

If there is not an active connection available, could Accordance save the session and wait until there is an internet connection before trying to do the dropbox sync?

------

Maybe what we need is for Accordance to switch the sync option from ‘Automatic’ to ‘Manual’ when we are away from an internet connection...?

I think this would prevent the endless sync loop that causes the hang.

Thanks.

I currently have selected "manual" over the "automatic" sync in my preferences and have NO problem with Accordance "hanging" upon quitting.

The usual DropBox implementation involves establishing a folder on your Mac at ~/DropBox/. Accordance should sync with that folder. The DropBox service syncs the folder with its servers as a separate operation that should not interact with Accordance at all. A lost internet connection should only affect the latter sync, not the former. I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.

Hi,

I understand that Dropbox syncing with it’s servers is separate from Accordance in that it’s a dropbox action.

The part that I am talking about is Accordance syncing with dropbox. That’s the part that prevents Accordance from closing when there’s no internet connection.

I do not understand why Accordance does not pass the files to dropbox and let dropbox deal with the internet connection issue...

I do not understand, either. I think it should pass the files to dropbox and let dropbox deal with the internet connection issue, as you say. I suppose I should ask whether your DropBox software is up to date, though I expect you checked that already.

Accordance is a direct Dropbox client that interacts directly with the Dropbox servers and works independently from whether or not you have Dropbox installed on your OS.

Wow. Without supporting offline operation?? That seems unfortunate.

I would consider it a bug in Accordance that it is not properly handling the no internet connection case.

Dropbox has had an app client API available since Dropbox launched if I remember correctly.

Hi, 

I am using Dropbox version 30.4.22, but I do not think that has any relevance to the no internet hang that we are talking about.

I’m glad that some conversation is building around this subject...

Thanks.