Studying the Septuagint with Accordance: Webinar Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. EDT

Abram K-J

Tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:00 p.m. EDT I'm leading a new Webinar called, "Studying the Septuagint with Accordance." 

Here is the sign-up link if anyone is interested. (It's free, as with all the Webinars.)

Time permitting, here's a list of topics I plan to cover in the hour-long session:

1. Septuagint Resources in Accordance

2. A GNT-LXX Workspace

3. LXX Reading for Vocabulary

4. Reading the Septuagint with Göttingen Editions

5. Advanced: Hebrew-Greek Translation Equivalents and the MERGE Search (if time permits)

(6. The New Testament’s Use of the Old Testament (if time permits))

• Like 3

Would love to join you Abram but cannot tomorrow I'm afraid.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I hope the future will hold a part 2 and/or a repeat of tomorrow's session.

• Like 2

Sounds really exciting. I have signed up, just in case I am for some reason awake at 4AM, or, as with other organisations, I know that the people signed up sometimes get access to the recording after the event. 

(Two hours later, or perhaps even one hour later, would be doable, but 4AM is the sort of time slot that can cause a disruption to my sleep and concentration during the day)

Hi, Phil (and Iakob)--I'm not sure if it's being recorded. I'll look into that. If not, this is a session I anticipate offering again.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:00 p.m. EDT I'm leading a new Webinar called, "Studying the Septuagint with Accordance." 

Here is the sign-up link if anyone is interested. (It's free, as with all the Webinars.)

Time permitting, here's a list of topics I plan to cover in the hour-long session:

1. Septuagint Resources in Accordance

2. A GNT-LXX Workspace

3. LXX Reading for Vocabulary

4. Reading the Septuagint with Göttingen Editions

5. Advanced: Hebrew-Greek Translation Equivalents and the MERGE Search (if time permits)

(6. The New Testament’s Use of the Old Testament (if time permits))

I'm signed up, but not until November!  Busy this afternoon, conflict in September, but November is uncomplicated (at this point).  Thanks for doing this.

I signed up for it but missed it because something came up that I needed to attend to. Is it possible to get the video?

Many thanks Abram, really looking forward to second instalment. Please post reminder on forum when its organised and you are about to do it!!!!!

For those that missed it, keep your eyes out for repeat performances.

You're welcome, ukfraser, and thanks! 

Dieudonne, we didn't record this one, but I suspect that we will both repeat it and do a part 2 follow-up (where we look at the MERGE command). I'll post again here when we have dates confirmed for those.

I mainly signed up for point 5: Advanced: Hebrew-Greek Translation Equivalents and the MERGE Search (if time permits). So if you didn't cover that in the webinar, then it was best that i didn't sign in. Yes, please post the next webinar and the list of topics you plan to cover like you did this one. 

Hello Mithril,

Sounds great! sorry I missed it...

would you be able to hold a second webinar regarding this topic on Israel local time?

Thank you

Avigail

Avigail, this worked out @ 21:00 to 22:00 in Israel which may not have been too late for you. I liked the evening webinars when i was working full time.

;o)

• 2 years later...

Sure thing. I think this is the handout you're looking for ("Studying the Septuagint with Accordance"). I've since found that one hour is not sufficient for the purpose, so I teach a one-hour LXX Webinar that is just about translation technique (using the MERGE command). I'm hoping to offer that one again in March. Suffice it to say, since I started doing LXX Webinars, I've changed the format/content around a few times.

Let me know if this gives you what you're looking for. 

AKJ 2018 Oct Accordance LXX_Handout.pdf

• Like 1

Why does Accordance say that Israel doesn't appear in the NT but in the LXX? It appers 68 times in the NT. 

Why does Accordance say that Israel doesn't appear in the NT but in the LXX? It appers 68 times in the NT. 

Is there something missing here? I just did a quick search in the N-A28 in Accordance and come up with 68 times. Are you referring to a specific module?

Is there something missing here? I just did a quick search in the N-A28 in Accordance and come up with 68 times. Are you referring to a specific module?

I am referring to the "*@-[HITS NA28 Greek NT (Sigla)]" command from the webinar. From minute 38 here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/recording/4893862886598119425

Edited by Mendel

Tagging issue. The bulk of the entries in the LXX (if it's Rahlfs you're using) are tagged with an unaccented lexeme. Only one is tagged with one accented as in the NT and that one is excluded.

I couldn't view the video without registering so I guess that the NT search was * and the point was t find words in the LXX not appearing in the NT. If I'm off on this then perhaps the issue is different.

Thx

D

Yes, a tagging issue. Joel (developer) says this:

The HITS command first attempts to find and use the exact match in the destination.  If this exact word doesn’t exist, then it tries to find a match by skipping accents.  Due to the tagging differences in the LXX vs NA28, this can obviously create some discrepancies.  When working with all of our internally tagged texts (basically any greek text except for LXX1) you’ll get much closer results.  However, it still should involve some double-checking if you find a strange result, like οὐ.  Daniel’s explanation is correct since οὗ does not occur in LXX at all, it maps it to the normal οὐ.

I haven't tried the search with the Swete LXX, but that could be more accurate, depending on the tagging.

The intended use of such a search is to improve one's vocabulary, so presumably one would be working through the list anyway and could likely identify (as folks have done in this thread and another one) any superfluous/false hits. Worst case scenario, you learn a few extra words (which you'd probably know anyway).

• Like 1

Yes, a tagging issue. Joel (developer) says this:

I haven't tried the search with the Swete LXX, but that could be more accurate, depending on the tagging.

The intended use of such a search is to improve one's vocabulary, so presumably one would be working through the list anyway and could likely identify (as folks have done in this thread and another one) any superfluous/false hits. Worst case scenario, you learn a few extra words (which you'd probably know anyway).

No complaints, I just wanted to know why the output is this way. I tried the Swete LXX and the output is 100% better than Rahlfs LXX. From now on the Swete will be my preferable LXX. 

• Like 1

Good to know--thanks for checking it out. I may use Swete in the future, then, if it sidesteps the tagging issue and makes a more accurate list.

Once Accordance mentioned why they have done the Swete and the Westcott-Hort as one Module and not two other Greek text for the LXX-GNT. It was because of the same tagging principles.

Sure thing. I think this is the handout you're looking for ("Studying the Septuagint with Accordance"). …

Let me know if this gives you what you're looking for. 

attachicon.gifAKJ 2018 Oct Accordance LXX_Handout.pdf

Thank you, Abram! That's exactly what I was after (as seen at the start of the video recording).

• Like 1