Feasting on the Word Commentary 12 Vol. Set

kpang808

Is this set worth buying? It is on sale for about $50 for the next two days...please leave some feedback if you have some experience using this. 

I haven't...thanks for pointing it out fraser!!

I can hardly find any negative reviews on this work across the internet. It seems that users from all streams and denominations really enjoy this material for both devotional use and as a preaching resource.  At $50 it was simply too good to overlook.  The lectionary layout will take a a wee bit of getting used to, but the content that I've seen so far looks outstanding.  I'm especially glad that the scripture commentary will run in parallel with the info-pane, though I've worked out that if there is more than one lectionary article on that particular text, that only the first one will show up.  I just need to remember to do a FOW research on the relevant verses. 

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Great set and the low price is unbelievable! I already own it, but those who don't should take advantage of the sale

• Like 1

Only complaint i have against it and it is an extremely mild one, several times I felt some of the contributors were a wee bit too calvinistic for my tastes... But I have found it to be one of the most useful commentaries out there it is said it covers not the whole bible but only the lectionary sections but most every book of the Bible is touched on and sometimes like Psalm 23 many more than just once. It also can be frustrating if the passage who are studying is connected to say Christmas or another holiday, in that the focus is going to be how does this passage connect with our Christmas celebrations. But all in all I would not want to be without it and very happy to own it in Accordance.

-dan

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Very helpful, you guys are awesome!!

• Like 1

Great resource and top of the pile for anyone who uses the lectionary. Agree with Dan in that at times you will occasionally find a different perspective than your own but this is to be expected in this kind of broad sweeping resource. However, I consider this a strength as a lectionary resource like FOW should engage its readers in a conversation with the wider Universal Church whose viewpoint may be different from our own local congregation. We are after all reading the same lections together as part of our worship of the same risen Lord.

Keep in mind that while it doesn't cover every scriptural text it does give you four viewpoints on each and in some cases, you will get multiple bites as the text appears more than once in the three-year lectionary cycle.

At this price, I would say it is a no-brainer.

Oh, and if the other Feasting resources were to come up on sale I would recommend them too.

Edited by Michael Hunt
  • Like 1