Huge Need on Mobile App

Diatheke76

Please allow us to view our resources and be able to read them without having to download them to our phones.

Both the higher tier (Logos) and the lower tier (WS) softwares allow us to do that. It saves space on our devices.

So unless I am missing something, this is an extremely helpful suggestion that needs to be implemented ASAP.

Thank you and many blessings!

Diatheke,

While I understand your desire to save space on your phone, I have a different perspective.

I love having access to my modules without having to worry about wi-fi & how much data I have used.

• Like 4

I also Totally agree with you Tim. I have one 'app' which requires internet connection but in the uk connection is sporadic and most places i go on holiday are in black spots, holiday accomodation connection with wifi is also poor and in a hotel i recently stayed at couldnt get wifi in my room and had to sit in the resturant to check my emails. Yes it would be os agnostic but it brings its own issues with reliability to access.

I have absolutly no issues with accordance as the content i need is stored on my iPad and while my library is not as extensive as some on this forum, it is big enough yet it still doesnt take up much space and even if you are short on storage, you can always tailor it to what you must have (my phone, ipad and mbp all have different content).

• Like 3

Diatheke,

While I understand your desire to save space on your phone, I have a different perspective.

I love having access to my modules without having to worry about wi-fi & how much data I have used.

I agree with you and that's why having the option to download the resources you choose should still be available.

For example, Logos and WORDsearch both have the ability to see all resources with internet (data or wifi), but they both have the abilty to download only what you need or want in your phone. The only exceptions are publisher's restrictions that don't allow certain titles to be viewed on mobile devices.

So the idea of viewing all and choosing to download is far superior than the primitive way Accordance is doing it right now. Accordance's mobile App is clunky and needs a huge revamp as it is, but if they can fix it, it has a lot of potential for good. Therefore, the need is huge and Accordance's developer's should listen as it's not that hard to implement and it would make a huge positive impact on users.

Blessings!

Accordance's developer's should listen as it's not that hard to implement 

As a mobile application developer, I would be hesitant in suggesting to another without extensive review of the codebase that anything is "not hard to implement".  I imagine that this sort of functionality request would make a lot of specific demands on the platform that delivers content to the applications — which likely doesn't support an on-demand model of portions of data rather than the whole work — and could potentially tangle with many other systems that depend on the data already being on device in full.  In other words, I wouldn't make the presumption that it's a trivial ask (and hence why it's not currently available — or why it may be ranked below many other high priority but much much easier to implement feature requests).  

I will also note just anecdotally with all the others that while I could see this feature being interesting for some, with the storage sizes rapidly increasing in mobile devices, I didn't even blink when downloading all my works locally to my device.  Again, I certainly understand how that might not be the case for some.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, any of the titles in your Accordance Library that are primarily text-based (Bibles, lexicons, most commentaries, etc.) take up very little space.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, any of the titles in your Accordance Library that are primarily text-based (Bibles, lexicons, most commentaries, etc.) take up very little space.

I have been amazed at the amount of compression/tokenizing going on in non-graphic texts and tools—very little required space indeed!!! I have other Bible Study apps on my iOS device that give the option of data on the device or from the company servers, so I am familiar with what the OP is requesting. Because I am often off grid with the iOS device, I rarely use these other apps; I just like having what I really need in Accordance loaded onto the iOS device as I update and add resources to my main system. I really, really like the way the system currently functions.

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 3

Diatheke,

Tim - I agree 100%. There are some on this list who live in places where fast internet is just not available. Most of us, at one time or another, find ourselves in a location lacking not just internet, but even a cell signal. We were in New Hamspire earlier this month and lacked both. We didn't even have a land line. I know exactly how Frazier feels - but we actually had to get in the car and drive into town to get free internet at MacDonalds.

I want my Library on my device. When we upgrade our mobile devices, we now go for higher storage capacities.

I also think that our developers are busy - we make a lot of demands - and they must prioritize. I have no idea what is involved in app development. I suspect that the things that are easy to do have already been done.

EDIT:  One more thing – I have a very limited Accordance install on my iPhone.  I have a 6s (to be upgraded this fall).  I don't have a plus version – I want my phone to fit in my jeans pocket.  I use my phone very differently than my iPad because the screen is just plain too small for the things I typically do on the iPad Pro.  And I have the smaller iPad Pro as well – mostly for the sake of portability.  When we travel, I typically take my iPad Pro plus an inexpensive keyboard (Jelly Comb for under $20).  I don't use any of my devices professionally.

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 1

Hi,

For original language study, the Accordance app beats Logos' app hands down.

Even if you download resources in Logos, you still need an Internet connection for some of them to function. For example, if I'm reading the Hebrew Bible, and I want to look up a word in HALOT, it doesn't work if I'm offline, even though I've downloaded the HB and HALOT on my device. This is a major problem. Compare this to Accordance - I can download a HB and HALOT, and have access offline. And, word searches are instantaneous in Acc, compared to watching that spinning circle thing in Logos, even with HALOT downloaded on my device. I don't see the point at all. Logos might as well not offer to download the resources that won't work without an Internet connection.

So, I too prefer Accordance's approach. This is just my opinion. And I appreciate that Acc really listens to all of its users. That's why we post our different opinions on the Forums.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 5

You guys are still missing the point. I'm not asking for your current ability to download your library to be taken away. All I'm asking is for the ability to view the resources I purchase without being forced to download them to my phone or tablet. I realize each app (Logos, WS & Accordance) have their pros and cons. I also realize Europe's internet connection is not as great as America's internet connection, but that's not the issue here.

Again, app developer or not is a rather simple feature that can be implemented if it's put at the top of the priority/to do list. No need to get all defensive and shut down a great idea just because some see no value when it actually does have great value.

Diatheke, I appreciate your feedback, and we definitely keep everything in mind.  With all features, there are generally pros and cons to different approaches.  Accessing remotely stored content can be a huge boon for quick on-demand lookups.  If I come across someone that says "Quick, what's that picture in the Photoguide Israel?", waiting to download multiple gigabytes on a cellphone network is completely unreasonable.  On the other hand, network traffic will always be several orders of magnitude slower than a locally accessed file, so searches and display of information will always be slow and potentially have hiccups.

I completely agree with you, though, that there is no drawback to simply offering the feature, as long as items are still able to be locally downloaded.

The biggest issue, as you note, is the priority list.  Despite what you say, this would not be a rather simple feature, as it involves many new technologies to be managed (off the top of my head): Remote hosting of content, management of active licenses, partial loading of remote content, interface for determining stream vs download for modules, and more.  As with any project, time spent in one area means time not spent elsewhere.  Are we to say it is more or less important than Text to Speech?  Than page turning?  Than the Atlas or Timeline?  Than improved export capabilities?  Than multiple iPad panes? Than the Info Pane?  Than Papers or Stacks?  I'm not saying it is or is not more important than those features, but it is not so simple of a decision.

Thanks again for your feedback, and for your sake, I hope it gets implemented soon!

• Like 4

Thanks Joel! I appreciate the response. I understand we can't have everything (feature wise) in one app, but I'm still hopeful Accordance will consider to implement this in the not so distant future. Mrs. Helen mentioned in another post that the ability to view our Papers and other features at the top of the priority list might make it sooner than this one, so it's all good.

Blessings!

Hi Diatheke,

I specifically mentioned that Acc listens to all of its users, in the hopes that you wouldn’t feel we were shuttung down your idea. Acc will listen to your ideas and opinions as much as to mine or to the others who chimed in.

If I’m not mistaken, you’re relatively new to the Forums. I remember a few years ago when I was new, that I felt a little then like you do now. I was excited about the software, and I had what I thought were great ideas, many/most to be shut down, or something similar. But I’ve since learned that other users were not doing that, and aren’t doing it now. They/I are just giving our opinions on a subject that another Member brought up, to help Acc gauge the overall interest.

Also, as one of the Members with the most ideas shot down, I have come to appreciate Acc’s perspective, point of view, and the decisions they have made. They have limited resources, ongoing projects, a vision for the future, valid  business concerns, etc. And I’ve learned to accept my place with my one voice, knowing that it is valuable to them.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 3