YAMPR — Yet Another More Panes Request

Rich

In the spirit of Apple's Radar ticket system where duplicate requests are critical to denote the desire / potential priority of a request to product owners within the company, I'm going to describe a request that has likely been manifested in various forms many times in the past here.  My potential duplication is in no means intended to display any frustration with the current state of the app or disrespect to Accordance folks — I completely understand the complexity of development, the unforeseen ramifications of what may look like simple changes, and the prioritization that must occur.  That said, with some of the recent discussions on this topic, I thought I would provide a feature request for something that would genuinely be immediately useful to me.

Disclaimers completed, what would be very helpful for me and allow me to expand usage of my iPad:

#1  A move from a max of 2 vertical panes to potentially 3 or 4 — for linked parallels or other unlinked documents.  For simplicity if needed, after exceeding 2 panes, all panes could have to match size as you dragged a divider, since I imagine resizing would become a bit more complex.  I would also be fine with requiring the linked text source to be in the first pane.  

#2  A collapsible horizontal pane / tray at the bottom matching the Mac's Info Pane content would be a lovely secondary request.

As I'm not sure if I've noted it before, I love Accordance on my Mac and iPad — it has become a critical part of my daily life and walk.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Augmenting my original feature request — I realize in #2 I said a horizontal pane at the bottom for Info Pane content — but what I actually meant was Instant Details.  That said, I'm not sure exactly how that would work since you don't have the concept of hover in a touch based environment (so, probably not a very useful suggestion).  That said, a horizontal pane would still be handy for notes and other things as well.

Also, I realize after trying to use the iPad for a bit more of my day-to-day over the last couple weeks how handy it would be to have multiple tabs or sessions, which I also know has been requested before as well.  For my use case, each session would basically consist of the state of all panes — both the book and location within — so that I could easily switch between multiple studies in different portions of the Bible with different commentaries, etc.  I generally have 4-6 tabs on my Mac each with an ongoing study session that I can bounce back and forth between (which could also be done with Workspaces on Mac, but I generally just have different parallels within each tab and everything else the same - all in one workspace).  

This should be requested by someone at least once per week. That said, the latest ios11 beta is probably stable enough that it can alleviate the problem by allowing Accordance and logos to be open at the same time.

post-33292-0-45429300-1502850451_thumb.jpg

Unlike other forums this one is closely watched by Accordance staff, new people putting their thumbs up for an idea is good, but I am quite sure powers that be have seen it, I think in another thread it was even said it was on a list of to add in. Other than fulfilling a need to express your desire I am not too sure that it is helpful. ( says the one who every few months bumps a request for the NOAB). I too look foreword to more panes, but not sure we will get it any faster by very frequent requests.

-dan.

Wouldnt it be nice to glimps the road map including the list of user requirements and oaktrees own list of features and enhancements and their relative priorities settings.

But then, what we currently have is streets ahead of pre smartphone and wish i had these resources when i first started out on my ministry. I found being able to search a single text revolutionary and so much better than a concordance as you could flick through the hits to see in context. With tagged text i can see the underlying original language just by putting my finger on the screen. Unimaginable a few years ago.

I am currently studying exodus on the ipad and frustrated by the times i have to go back to the library to open resources but really enjoying sitting in the garden in the sun with my coffee and not having to keep getting up and trudging indoors for another book and running out of space on the table and loosing my pen.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

. I too look foreword to more panes, but not sure we will get it any faster by very frequent requests.

-dan.

It seems to me like asking for something (even if it is more than once) is more likely to result in success than not asking. :D   

I'll persist in my request for 15pt font size. Im not sure what will happen first, will we get 15pt font size, or will my laptop become  redundant.

• Like 1

Not sure lap top will become redundant any time zoom but font size seems redundant on the ipad with the AA slider. Havent the least idea what size it is or the size of the increments but can adjust to comfortable size for prolonged reading. Just rsi for my poor fingers and thumbs.

;o)

I feel a bit bad — I was trying to be lighthearted and "fun" with my request and my goofy title — and certainly wasn't intending to cause the Oaktree folks or anyone else any distress.  I tried to express that intent but I don't think I did a good job.  Software development is complex and resources are always constrained and demand for those resources is always high.  I was just trying to give another customer data point to potentially help with prioritization, which sometimes can be difficult to see from the "inside" of an organization.   I would also love a roadmap — but I understand that can be problematic — some folks get expectations set that can cause frustration when the roadmap inevitably shifts.

I've attempted to use some of the "other" software out there.  There is no way I would ever move away from Accordance — it's UI / UX is lightyears above my experiences elsewhere — even if it didn't change a lick for years.   More importantly, the entire business model for Accordance to me just feels "better".  I believe that while a business, this tool is a labor of love for the Oaktree folks, and it shows.     

• Like 3

I've attempted to use some of the "other" software out there.  There is no way I would ever move away from Accordance — it's UI / UX is lightyears above my experiences elsewhere — even if it didn't change a lick for years.   More importantly, the entire business model for Accordance to me just feels "better".  I believe that while a business, this tool is a labor of love for the Oaktree folks, and it shows.     

Thank you so much. Your words are much appreciated.

• Like 1

And rich, i think most of us appreciated the humour.

Trouble is whatever we have we always want more and have our pet frustrations.

As helen has demonstrated, the accordance team read the threads.

Im with you in that most of my bible apos have been deleted and accordance is the only serious one for me, the only one i recommend, and the one i am using daily.

;o)