#1 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:43 PM

Now that I've moved back to a Mac, I've been mainly using as much built-in Apple apps as possible and only installing third party apps when I need them.

With most apps, I'm using single apps as much as possible for work (only using Apple Mail for email, only using Photos for managing photos, only using Numbers for spreadsheets and Keynote for presentations, only using iMovie for editing video that isn't screencasts, etc.).

When it comes to Mac word processors, I currently have three installed: Pages, Nisus Writer Pro, and Nota Bene (under WINE I brought over from Windows).

My goal is to use Nisus Writer Pro for everyday and quick documents, Pages for documents where I need better page layout stuff (like letters, etc), and Nota Bene for academic writing.

I don't need Microsoft Word and I'm letting Office 365 go. I'll be using Numbers for spreadsheets and Keynote for presentations.

I also have a license to Mellel.

Since I have the other three installed, would there be any reason I'd need to also through Mellel on my system, or am I pretty well set with the other three above? The main advantage of Mellel is its Hebrew support, but I'll be using Nota Bene for that anyway, so I'm not sure if there's another advantage.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#2 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM

In terms of word processors, Nota Bene is still going to be my go-to word processor for academic research and writing (I love the integrated workflow). Pages has been great for when I need to create print-worthy documents or do high collaboration with my iPad since it all syncs with iCloud. Nisus Writer Pro has been great for every day word processing, and I see no reason to mess with Word when I work with Nisus Writer Pro. I still installed Mellel on my Mac and iPad for the occasional times when I need to do a little more intense writing on my iPad Pro. I can take my iPad Pro with me and start research and writing on the iPad Pro using Mellel since it's more powerful than Pages, then have it sync the documents with Mellel back on my Mac, then when I get back to my Mac, I'd likely export the documents into Nota Bene and fold everything into Nota Bene. 

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

#3 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted Today, 09:34 AM

I do all my research and writing and sermonating in Scrivener, (NB version 3 coming soon!) but I get frustrated by its limited formatting capabilities (or I just haven't taken the time to learn its formatting capabilities).

Then I paste it all into Pages for formatting and pagebreaks before printing. I have Nisus Writer Pro from a Mac Bundle deal some time ago, and also Mariner Write from a similar deal years ago.

Maybe the next iteration of Scrivener will enable me to get the flexibility I want in a single app. Having a background in professional graphic design and typesetting is sometimes more of a hindrance than a help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users