Finding all Greek words translated as pray*

Sean R.

As I was preparing for a mid-week service on prayer, I wanted to find all the Greek words translated as pray (or praying, prayed, etc.). I search for pray* in the New Testament and then click the details button. Selecting the analysis button in the details window gives me a list sorted by the English word. Okay, that was easy enough. I already knew for the most part what the result would be.

But what if I want a list sorted by Greek word? Can I do that?

Are you asking:

How can I get an Analysis window showing the breakdown of every Greek word that is translated with a form of "pray*" in the English text?

In a Key number text you cannot sort the analysis by Key numbers, sorry!

Sean,

You need to do your search in a Bible text with Key Numbers, such as the KJV with Strong's (KJVS), NAS95 with Strong's (NAS95S), or the NIV with Goodrick-Kohlenberger numbers (NIV-G/K). When you do your search in one of those texts and click the Analysis button, you'll get a list of each English word that was found (pray, praying, etc.), beneath which will be a breakdown of each Greek word which it translates. Helen's point was that you cannot sort the information so that the KeyNumbers appear first.

You might also check out the Analysis Pie Chart. Just be sure to select Key Number in the pop-up at the bottom right of the window to get a cool visual of the different words that were used.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips! I did notice that selecting Analysis Bar Chart enables me to sort by key number, and it gives me a nice list although the words are transliterations.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have kind of a "reverse" of the above question. I know that Gal 6:16 can be translated: And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God, or "even the Israel of God" (NIV). Anyway, I wanted to find out, how many other times does the Greek conjunction kai get translated "even"? However, a simple search of kai or AND yields too many hits be useful. So, any ideas on how to do the search without manual counting?

Simply combine the word and key number with an @ sign like this: [KEY G2779]@even.

Of course this depends on the tagging of the database, but it does work in the NIV-G/K.

Thanks so much for your help. It took me awhile since I do not know Greek, but I was actually interested in occurances when kai was translated as "also" such as in rev 2:6. Anyway, I went back to the Accordance training DVD, and using the contents command, I actually figured out what I wanted to know. In case anyone might be interested: about 11% of the time, "kai" is NOT translated as AND. This would include occassions where it is not included, frequently in the Gospel narratives, probably to provide better English. It took me a bit of time, and I am sure that you could have done it in about half the time, but it was still a good thing for me. Now, i can do it again, and better yet, although I always had confidence in the Accorance software, now I am ASTOUNDED! Wow! I can not imagine doing this type of search with Bibleworks unless you had MASSIVE GReek training. And yes, I realize that with a layperson like myself, a little Greek can be dangerous. However, it is so awesome to figure some things out for myself. WOW! AWESOME! I don't know much about Greek, but I know that Logos could never provide this type of information, and although I supposed BIbleworks could do it -- you would probably need a few college courses first. This is so AWESOME

Thanks Jonna

Archived