• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

I now have the Hebrew audio module, yay!  Im looking forward to learning to listen and speak what I am reading. Apart from the really annoying echo it seems great so far. 

The very first verse I randomly pulled up to test it, Ezekiel 3:1 appears to have odd pronunciation. I want to work out if this is odd due to the rules of pronunciation being different to what I have taught, or if it is a mistake. In Ezekiel 3:1

• אֲשֶׁר is pronounced with an L sound at the end instead of an R, 
  • in contrast, דַּבֵּ֖ר is pronounced with an R sound at the end as I would have expected.

Can someone help me understand this? Thanks!

My top 5 feature requests:
  1. 15pt font size for reading text (bible, journal articles, commentaries, etc...)
  2. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)
  3. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)
  4. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...
  5. Phrase (sympathetic) highlighting.

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,013 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

I hear an R at the end of both words. I think you just need to get used to the voice,

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

i know R is pronounced stronger in the US. To an Australian ear it's a perfect r. So it's not clear to me now if the pronunciation is correct from a Hebrew perspective.
  1. 15pt font size for reading text (bible, journal articles, commentaries, etc...)
  2. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)
  3. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)
  4. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...

#4 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

That was me typing on the train this morning. Now that I am back on my computer, just to be clear. It really does sound like an R to me. This makes me wonder if it is a mistake, or there is a concept of a 'modern Hebrew accent' which complicates how we read things out loud.

Should I hear this lack of r/l distinction as an americanism, or a hebrewism, or just a mistake?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew, Hebrew Audio, Ponunciation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users