Accordance On New iPad (Not Pro)

JohnABarnett

Is anyone running Accordance on the new 2017 iPad, the "regular" not the Pro? In addition to processing power, I'm concerned that it tops out at 128GB SSD and 2GB RAM, and whether that will support having most of my library installed while still using it for some DAW software.

I'm considering getting an iPad, but I don't want to spend the money for a Pro model. 

Edited by JohnABarnett

I used to run accordance on my ipad 2 with 16 gig on and only upgraded coz it pretended to die and would still be happy with it. My current library isnt extensive as some but i have 16 texts, 40 odd resources including ebc, wbc and nivac and 20 odd general resources including some large image resources such as cultural images plus about 20 english, hebrew and greek resources and this is still only about 3.2 gig so i think storage wont be an issue. (Others with larger libraries might want to share their storage).

All i would say is that a pro will be supported for a bit longer (my iphone 4s still works but is stuck on ios 9). And i really appreciate some of the pro features such as the auto colour tempretaure at night. If youve not used an ipad before and am getting it for heavy daw use, you may find that you will regret not going for a pro after you have used it for a while.

I would think that if your library is mega, you may want to be selective on what you add as ios doesnt currentlysupport the atlas, timeline or some of the original language mapping tools. It would still leave you 110 gig for your daw.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Thanks, Fraser, as always. The iPad would be to supplement my PC laptop, for casual use on the sofa or at church. Thanks for the info. My library is not mega like some, but it is not small either. I'll have to check out it's footprint. I am very selective what I keep on my phone, if I need to I can be on my iPad. The 2GB of RAM is an unknown factor for me. My laptop has 16 GB.

Okay, looks like my library is about 5GB, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. But you do make a good point about supporting future iOS versions and capabilities.

With Apple products, money spent now will leverage future use. Max out memory, storage, and such so that you won't have regrets down the road. Think about projected needs about four years ahead. Remember that currently Apple states OS support for five years from product/model introduction, though often support exceeds that five years. The big catch this autumn with the new iOS will be that it no longer supports 32 bit devices, so the number of devices going off support will be larger than the usual for Apple.

As always, pay now or pay later, but tech devices will always extract that pound of flesh. :-o

Shalom,

Joseph

What daw do you think you will use on the ipad? I can imagine you may want to use a pencil for fine control of the sliders. Also i think the two apps running side by side is only a pro feature and that may become more useful as apps take advantage of it.

If you are just reading, then a basic ipad would do, but i would certainly consider your purchase descision a bit more when considering complex apps.

Edited by ukfraser

On your iphone, under settings, general, there is a manage storage and you can see what the footprint of your accordance is there (im assuming the above is for your laptop).

I wouldnt worry about ram on an ipad. You cant do anything about it.

With Apple products, money spent now will leverage future use. Max out memory, storage, and such so that you won't have regrets down the road. Think about projected needs about four years ahead. Remember that currently Apple states OS support for five years from product/model introduction, though often support exceeds that five years. The big catch this autumn with the new iOS will be that it no longer supports 32 bit devices, so the number of devices going off support will be larger than the usual for Apple.

As always, pay now or pay later, but tech devices will always extract that pound of flesh. :-o

Shalom,

Joseph

All very true. Part of the thinking here is that for a relatively small the price I might kick the can down the road a few more years. The other part, perhaps more crucial, is keeping wifey from having a very bad day. If you get my drift. Sometimes logic is not the deciding factor.

What daw do you think you will use on the ipad? I can imagine you may want to use a pencil for fine control of the sliders. Also i think the two apps running side by side is only a pro feature and that may become more useful as apps take advantage of it.

If you are just reading, then a basic ipad would do, but i would certainly consider your purchase descision a bit more when considering complex apps.

Re: which DAW, I was using DAW as a catch-all term. My true DAW work in Cubase I reserve for my desktop. I sometimes use Notion on both my desktop and my laptop, and I'd like to be able to use Notion for iOS on my iPad for casual sketching.

You're quite right, if it was a straight up hardware decision I would go with the iPad Pro 10.5. It's possible I might decide to just hold off for now. Costco has a deal currently (and you know how rare it is to see any significant price variance on Apple products) that makes the regular iPad look like quite attractive. But if it doesn't do what I need, it's pointless.

I dont think notion will give you much problem in terms of storage requirement either, im using progression which is from the same developer amongst a few other apps.

;o)

Hi John

I have accordance on an older first gen Air and installed on a pro. Both seem to run about the same for me.  I'm mainly using accordance in iOS as a reader for Hebrew/Greek with the English to the side. My 'power' searches and heavy accordance work are done on my laptop as I've found the search rather limited. My searches in dictionaries/commentaries have been fast on both.

My Air runs a lot of DAW/heavy cpu  apps for music and I do not seem to be frustrated over power. I haven't seen any significant power boosts from my pro- I opted forone simply to have access to the pencil. However for reading both have worked well. My pro only has 16G and I too limit what goes on it with a large library. But I have found if I do not put the photo libraries on, I still can load up a great deal of my library.

Perhaps that helps?

Drew

Hi John

I have accordance on an older first gen Air and installed on a pro. Both seem to run about the same for me.  I'm mainly using accordance in iOS as a reader for Hebrew/Greek with the English to the side. My 'power' searches and heavy accordance work are done on my laptop as I've found the search rather limited. My searches in dictionaries/commentaries have been fast on both.

My Air runs a lot of DAW/heavy cpu  apps for music and I do not seem to be frustrated over power. I haven't seen any significant power boosts from my pro- I opted forone simply to have access to the pencil. However for reading both have worked well. My pro only has 16G and I too limit what goes on it with a large library. But I have found if I do not put the photo libraries on, I still can load up a great deal of my library.

Perhaps that helps?

Drew

Yes, Drew, that helps a lot. Thanks.

I dont think notion will give you much problem in terms of storage requirement either, im using progression which is from the same developer amongst a few other apps.

;o)

Thanks again, Fraser. The general indication is that it will work okay...for now. I'll chew on it a day or so and then decide. Thanks to all for your input.

I ended up finding a new 10.5 iPad Pro 256GB for $699 no tax and free shipping, so I bought that primarily for reasons of future proofing. Thanks for everyone's input.

Excellent descision, You wont regret it! (till they bring out their next model!)

;o)

• Like 1

Excellent descision, You wont regret it! (till they bring out their next model!)

;o)

Fraser, I try not to look at the new model specs and prices for a few years/cycles after I purchase new hardware.   :o

• Like 1

I ended up finding a new 10.5 iPad Pro 

So the title of the forum has to be changed ;)

Greetings

Fabian

So the title of the forum has to be changed ;)

Greetings

Fabian

Alternatives:

"My iPad Odyssey: Betwixt And Between"

"Profiles In Courage: A Choice Resolved"

"Go Pro (Not That One, The Other One)"

• Like 2

If it was a journal article:

"In Accordance with Thy Word: Professional ruminations on new covenant writings conveyed by tablets made not of stone (2 Corinthians 3:3)"

• Like 3