tie or link commentary tabs/panes

EricC

I think I once knew how to do this, but …

Attached is a screenshot of the commentary tabs I have in a workspace. I would like it so that when I put a Bible reference in one of them, they all go to the comments (if any) that that commentary has on that reference / passage.

How do I do this?

Thank you.

Screenshot: post-3736-0-88418200-1502803765_thumb.png

I use the "tie" function for biblical references and the "link" function for dictionaries and lexicons. You can choose what resource to "tie" to in the drop down menu. I usually tie directly to the biblical text since commentaries use different pericopes that they choose to comment on and things bounce around too much if I tie commentary to commentary.

Here is a screenshot:

post-1391-0-61098200-1502804814_thumb.png

If you open a commentary from the Info Pane with a Cmd+click (Mac), Ctrl+click (PC), it opens in a tied tab.

If you open a commentary any other way (from the Library, for instance), you can tie its tab to the search text by right-clicking on the tab and choosing Tab ties.

Thank you, men, that helps. I knew I'd seen it somewhere (and I did look in Help before posting). :wacko:

Can I open a Bible in another tab and then tie all the commentaries (reference tools) to it? 

Edit:typo

Edited by EricC

Yep.

Thanks, Dr. J., for the "Yep"! However, I should have added "How?"

When I click on a Bible in the Library when I'm in that workspace, it opens in a new pane, not in the pane with all the commentaries. Ah, now I see that I can do the same right-click (two finger click) on Mac and get the "Tie" command even though it's in a different pane. That'll do what I want.

But out of curiosity, how do can I get this Bible into the Commentary pane?

Thanks.

Edit: change "can I get this" to "how do I get this"

Edited by EricC
  • Like 1

You cannot add a Bible to a Commentary pane, but using Add Pane in the Search tab with your Bible in it, you can add any or many commentary panes, and any other tools organized by verse reference. They will automatically sync with the Bible text.

• Like 1

Thank you, Helen. I might still eventually get my mind around all this stuff. I usually just set stuff up and then use it and re-use it and often miss many of the benefits.

There are lots of videos on youtube

This is about an hour long so settle down with a coffee (linking is fairly early on).

https://youtu.be/75eaU-IMI9w

I like watching people use software as i pick up things as people work and think differently from the way i do. David is also responding to questions.

As with all software, there are multiple ways of doing things so you can select the most appropriate method for the way you are at any particular time (eg keyboard or mouse or menu).

Plus i keep revisiting podcasts and webinars (was watching the text critical one agin yesterday, oldie but goodie).

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1