jejboulet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

Hi There,

This morning after using Accordance on my laptop and closing it with the complete Dropbox sync I opened Accordance on my iMac. A message came up asking me to locate the file My Highlights.hlt. When I tried to locate it an error message reading "I/O error #0 in Accordance Files" came up and then Accordance opened anyway. When it did open Accordance automatically created a new file, My Highlights 2.hlt, which was empty and set to default settings. Confused, I closed Accordance and tried again with the same result so that there was also a My Highlights 3.hlt and then a My Highlights 4.hlt. At some point in the process the original My Highlights.hlt, which had been visible in the file folder, disappeared from my computer. I could no longer find it at all with Spotlight or in the Trash. Before it disappeared it had a strange quality to it in that when viewed in Finder the icon was a white rectangle instead of the usual Accordance icon. Also, when I used the 'get info' option, under 'Open with' the 'Accordance (Default)' choice was visible, but sort of transparent and unavailable to modify. This is in contrast with the new My Highlights X.hlt files where it was possible to access and modify what was under 'Open with.'

As far as I can tell it is too late to do anything about it and I've lost all my highlights and custom highlight settings which I've been keeping as I do my dissertation research. If it isn't too late, let me know. In any case, there seems to be a bug that should be fixed.

Thanks,

Jacques

#2 Mike Garrity

Mike Garrity

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 531 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

Hi Jacques,

Sorry for your troubles, my guess is that your My Highlights file has been corrupted and Accordance cannot properly handle the case when the default highlight file is corrupted. Dropbox does keep a backup of file changes for around 30 days, so I don’t think your highlight files are lost. This might be a tricky recovery process (because of the highlight file on your Mac) so I would contact our technical support for assistance.

In the meantime...

• I would switch to manual Dropbox syncing on your iMac
  • Create a new highlight file - “test highlight” on your iMac ( to possibly stop creating duplicates)
  • Check if the highlight file still loads on your laptop?

Mike

#3 jejboulet

jejboulet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

Thank you Mike,

I think you are correct that the file became corrupted. I was able to follow Dropbox's instructions (https://www.dropbox....-older-versions) to recover an older version of my file before it became corrupted. I once again have my highlights and custom highlight settings.

Jacques

#4 Mike Garrity

Mike Garrity

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 531 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

Hi Jacques,

Glad to hear that the dropbox recover was able to replace the corrupted file. This is the best way to recover previous/deleted files (from Dropbox) because you choose the latest file from the sync history and can reliably propagate the file to your Mac and other devices. 

Let us know if the file becomes corrupt again, we might have to take a look at the file if you notice a pattern/sequence that lead to the corruption.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users