Let's see Your "Start Up" Page! ROUND 2

Andrew G

i stumbled upon this thread from 2008.

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/2310-lets-see-your-start-up-page

looks so different back then!

thought it would be fun to see people's "start up" page these days.

and, of course, we could learn some tips along the way from each other.

i guess i'll start.  mine's REALLY a work in progress.  i've only had accordance less than a year and am finally starting to learn how to use it (watching tutorials).

post-34094-0-65033700-1503371132_thumb.png

• Like 1

Here is mine...

post-33558-0-18691600-1504050324_thumb.png

Edited by ucfgrad93
  • Like 1

i adjusted mine a bit.

it does take a few seconds to load though (too many panes i guess)

post-34094-0-10686000-1504073162_thumb.png

• Like 1

I keep changing mine but this is my current starting point with most of what i need on tabs. I used to have loads more tabs but find the info screen and library in 12 such an improvement that most have been removed.

Typically the first thing i will do is create a new stack to start adding content to if im in digging mode.

I think its interesting that when the tool bar was first introduced, i edited it quite heavily, with 12, its virtually default, i think i have just played with the order. Accordance is about the only software i have upgraded with every version from 8, most other software i usually skip many versions or just get one and stick with it.

BUT for 99% of the time i typically work on the iPad and just boot this up when I need to use the analytics or want to flick between commentaries and other resources.

post-31185-0-29736300-1504078663_thumb.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I keep changing mine but this is my current starting point with most of what i need on tabs. I used to have loads more tabs but find the info screen and library in 12 such an improvement that most have been removed.

Typically the first thing i will do is create a new stack to start adding content to if im in digging mode.

I think its interesting that when the tool bar was first introduced, i edited it quite heavily, with 12, its virtually default, i think i have just played with the order. Accordance is about the only software i have upgraded with every version from 8, most other software i usually skip many versions or just get one and stick with it.

BUT for 99% of the time i typically work on the iPad and just boot this up when I need to use the analytics or want to flick between commentaries and other resources.

how many seconds do that all take to load?

guessing you have a lot of panes open within each tab

also, you like opening commentaries within parallel tabs rather its own zone and then tie the tabs together?

i used to do it that way too, but then i like how i can have the table of contents open when it's in its own zone. seems to be the best of both worlds.

how many seconds do that all take to load?

guessing you have a lot of panes open within each tab

also, you like opening commentaries within parallel tabs rather its own zone and then tie the tabs together?

i used to do it that way too, but then i like how i can have the table of contents open when it's in its own zone. seems to be the best of both worlds.

post-33308-0-22141200-1504151206_thumb.png

I find my above sermon prep workspace doesn't take overly long to load (certainly quicker than any of the other bible software I use). I do however have 16GB of RAM installed with an SSD upgrade to happen hopefully soon (should give me a few more years on my MacBook Pro)

I use parallel texts/tabs pretty exclusively on my laptop (13 inch) due to space. When I connect it to the larger monitor on my desk I use a widescreen workspace where I shift items such as commentaries out to their own zone.

I find if you use info pane quite a bit then you by default tend to have a workspace that favors parallel over zones.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-31 at 1.43.10 pm.png

I find my above sermon prep workspace doesn't take overly long to load (certainly quicker than any of the other bible software I use). I do however have 16GB of RAM installed with an SSD upgrade to happen hopefully soon (should give me a few more years on my MacBook Pro)

I use parallel texts/tabs pretty exclusively on my laptop (13 inch) due to space. When I connect it to the larger monitor on my desk I use a widescreen workspace where I shift items such as commentaries out to their own zone.

I find if you use info pane quite a bit then you by default tend to have a workspace that favors parallel over zones.

ah that would make space.  depending on the size of the screen.  and ya ram and ssd would definitely make a difference

for the info pane, if you do command + click it opens up in a zone rather than parallels.

True (and at times I use this shortcut) however a pane will be recycled. i.e. if I am open the ESV Study Bible from the info pane I can then open the NIV Study Bible and it will reuse the same pane (important when trying to save screen real-estate)

post-33308-0-56407800-1504153729_thumb.png

Edited by Michael Hunt

Well this is a fun thread. Here is mine. (Yes I use almost all of these tabs, almost every day)

post-33292-0-70212900-1504155256_thumb.png

Well this is a fun thread.

Definitely, especially seeing how people use and have set up their tool bar and title bar. One of the reasons i like seeing the various web recordings

Its also interesting to see what others have in their library!!!!!

;o)

As to how long it takes to open, my mbp is nearly 10 years old, on its 3rd battery and second wifi and hard drive. It takes 14 seconds to start up accordance with my basic prepare a service workspace (nrsv and original language only) and 10 seconds to change to the workspace shown above. As i typically only preach once or twice a month now and i do the majority of my preparation on my ipad, this is totally acceptable to me as my cafetière is never out of reach and waiting for the chip to do its stuff enables me to savour my coffee and let my brain percolate for a bit.

Edited by ukfraser

One of the reasons i like seeing the various web recordings

Its also interesting to see what others have in their library!!!!!

haha ya.  i pay close attention to how they set up their accordance when i'm watching the videos to see if there's a better way to organize my library and stuff.

As to how long it takes to open, my mbp is nearly 10 years old, on its 3rd battery and second wifi and hard drive. It takes 14 seconds to start up accordance with my basic prepare a service workspace (nrsv and original language only) and 10 seconds to change to the workspace shown above. As i typically only preach once or twice a month now and i do the majority of my preparation on my ipad, this is totally acceptable to me as my cafetière is never out of reach and waiting for the chip to do its stuff enables me to savour my coffee and let my brain percolate for a bit.

14 seconds on a 10 year old mbp still seems pretty fast to me!

and while we're sharing screenshots, here's my "bibleworks" translation comparison workspace that i created (after reading through various threads)

i, too, wish that feature was in accordance, so here's my best attempt at it.  i find having the hebrew/greek open helps when i'm comparing translations

hijacking my own thread, looking at my screenshots, is there a way to make it so when i hover over ἀγαπάω in the greek, it not only highlights it (loved) in the parallel esv pane, but also have it highlight in all the translations in the zone that tied to it.  when i hover over "love" in the nrsv, it will highlight it in the other english texts within that zone, but not in the greek or esv.  it would help when comparing translations.

if not, i might have to adjust the translations where they are all in one zone, but then space can become an issue, esp. when having so many vertical panes.

Edited by gugu009
  • Like 1

Instant details looks like it is taking up a lot of Realestate as is the tool bar.

I would be tempted to keep as is but remove those and possibly add esv and original language to the right pane as well.

As to mbp, its fine for me. its slower than when i bought it but still 10 times faster than the windows box it replaced!!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

I don't have a workspace, I have opted to go with a sermon session. Obviously, I don't use every workspace in the session every week. Here are the screen shots, if anyone wants it to see all the tabs, etc. I am happy to share.

post-18813-0-69276700-1504184786_thumb.png

post-18813-0-89728100-1504184794_thumb.png

post-18813-0-28966800-1504184802_thumb.png

post-18813-0-00737600-1504184809_thumb.png

post-18813-0-48563900-1504184815_thumb.png

• Like 1

Those of you who get that nice vertical "stack" (not the Accordance stack)  of linked translations, how do you set that up? I'm probably a dufus, but I can't figure it out.

As a Mac user, I have the option to open several workspaces as tabs. Here is the setup I use for nearly all of my studies: sermon preparation, Greek exegesis class, OT in the NT study, OT exegesis. I find using the tabs for different workspaces really helpful, as it gives me immediate access to my major workspaces. 

post-30090-0-14137700-1504277438_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Those of you who get that nice vertical "stack" (not the Accordance stack)  of linked translations, how do you set that up? I'm probably a dufus, but I can't figure it out.

Hey John,

One way it's done is by creating a a number of parallel panes oriented vertically rather than horizontally. See image below. The RED-circled icon is the one that controls the parallel orientation.

post-32023-0-03556700-1504279123_thumb.png

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thanks, Daniel. I'll try that.

Edited to add. Tried and successful. Thanks a LOT! That will be extremely helpful to me. It shows how helpful it can be for people to share pictures of their workspaces. It gives others ideas that might not otherwise have occurred to them.

Edited by JohnABarnett

I work on a 15" laptop, so I try and be a bit minimalistic in my start up layout. Several improvements to Accordance have made this much easier, the primary on being the Info Pane. I use this as a gateway to other resources pertinent to the pericope I am studying. In place of having multiple tabs open I created several workspaces that I can quickly amplify to as needed. 

My startup layout has my preferred English text, ESV in parallel with the GNT 28/HMT 4, with the Info Pane. The pane at the right has the lexicons that open on triple click, linked to other Lexicons I use a lot. This is the pane all other resources open such as Photo Guide, Commentaries etc.

My saved workspaces are shown below along with a few of the ones I use most.

One note on creating horizontal parallel panes, I use the display options so I get one verse separated with space as it allows me to compare more easily. If you change the resources with the dropdown, the display reverts to the default settings. This takes a bit of time to get them all right, but it is worth the time spent in setting it up and saving it.

post-1391-0-11109800-1504289656_thumb.png

post-1391-0-71708400-1504289684_thumb.png

post-1391-0-28803000-1504289706_thumb.png

post-1391-0-78663000-1504289719_thumb.png

post-1391-0-70097900-1504289735_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thanks john, hadnt realised net notes had maps!!!

The things you discover.

;o)

I've used a variety of Start-Ups over the years.  Here's my current set-up.  I do my devotional reading in a print Bible to minimize distractions and cut down on rabbit-chases.  I do read what Halley's has to say because the info tends to be short and pertinent.  The Mostly English is the tab I use for the passage at hand.  The tab ties in the left Zone are all connected to it.  When it comes to digging in, I use the other tabs and some other saved workspaces.

post-330-0-55021900-1504302269_thumb.jpg

When the MacBook Air (13") is not connected to an external monitor, I move the ID window to the bottom of the screen and close the Highlights window.

Like many of you, I have changed my set-up because of the Info Pane.  The Info Pane streamlines the study process and eliminates a lot of frustration.

• Like 2

Here's mine, a minimalist approach at the moment. I wish I could limit Instant Details information even more, to just Word syntax. My highlight and note is for the BHS page number.

post-32543-0-29262100-1504305704_thumb.png

But your examples have given me the idea that I could make mine look more like a Rabbinic Bible.

Thanks.

Thanks john, hadnt realised net notes had maps!!!

The things you discover.

;o)

Yes, and I had no intent of highlighting that feature, just was part of the last time I used the workspace.

Lots of interesting ideas and information being shared. RevTim, love the Hebrew Translation workspace.

RevTim, love the Hebrew Translation workspace.

Thanks!!

My Hebrew is so rusty, it helps to have the LXX & JPSS.