Luna Display by Astro HQ

R. Mansfield

I just discovered Luna Display this morning, which will allow you to use your iPad as a wireless second screen for your Mac. There are software solutions that do this, such as Duet Display (requires a cable between your devices), which I use regularly when I'm away from home or even working from a coffee shop. The difference with Luna Display is that it will access your Mac's GPU (assuming you have a Mac with a GPU) for better performance. It uses a dongle that will plug into a USB-C port on newer Macs and a mini-display port on older Macs. 

Here's the promo video

https://vimeo.com/230350416

Here's the Kickstarter page. They are well beyond their goal. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/767721702/luna-display

I use Duet Display for a second screen so often that I went ahead and backed the Kickstarter campaign as this looks as if it will be a much better solution. The downside is that it won't ship until May, 2018.

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

I bookmarked it last week, and was going to tell you about it. Glad you posted it already. When you get one, tell us about whether it is as good as advertised - no lag. If so, it would be my ultimate desktop/iPad mobile solution.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

which will allow you to use your iPad as a wireless second screen for your Mac. There are software solutions that do this...

I suggest you avoid air display 2 by avatron software, really not impressed with it.

Edited by ukfraser

• 9 months later...

Rick, are you one of the beta testers for Luna?

Rick, are you one of the beta testers for Luna?

No, but I did back it. I signed up to be a beta tester, but perhaps they got enough before they heard from me.

Duet Display now does wireless! I've used it the last few weeks, and it's excellent. 

• Like 2

Hi Benjamin,

I have Duet Display and I don't see how to connect wirelessly. What am I missing?

Thanks, and regards,

Michel

Hi Benjamin,

I have Duet Display and I don't see how to connect wirelessly. What am I missing?

Thanks, and regards,

Michel

I believe you need to enable it in settings. Also, you need to run the latest version. I had to pay $20 to upgrade. 

post-30071-0-21754200-1528287509_thumb.png

Hi again,

Thanks for the information, but I still can't figure it out.

I have the latest 1.7.1.4, and it only gives me wired connection options. I connected and changed the Display Arrangement setting in Duet to AirPlay Display > Duet - iOS.

post-32543-0-52080500-1528293573_thumb.png

But it didn't work wirelessly after that. I can't find any mention of wireless display on Duet Display's website, or of Duet Air. All the pictures show a cable connection. And, I don't see how to upgrade.

If you have time, would you mind giving me a few more details?

Thanks,

Michel

I see Luna Display has pushed back their delivery date to December 2018.

Meanwhile, I don't see the wireless option for Duet either.

I see Luna Display has pushed back their delivery date to December 2018.

Meanwhile, I don't see the wireless option for Duet either.

I had to install "Duet Display Pro." Perhaps that's the issue.

https://www.duetdisplay.com/pro/

• Like 1

Thanks.

Does your iPad support the pencil? If not, I'm not sure I will try. iTeleport works almost as well as wired Duet Display for rapid reading - in BW I tap on a word once, and I see my user lexicon.

My iPad doesn't support the pencil, but I purchased Pro for the wireless connectivity. You can demo it for a week. That's what I did, and I eagerly purchased it afterwards. 

Thanks.

Does your iPad support the pencil? If not, I'm not sure I will try. iTeleport works almost as well as wired Duet Display for rapid reading - in BW I tap on a word once, and I see my user lexicon.

• Like 1

Is anyone else having trouble finding Duet Pro as an in-app purchase? Do I have to wait for a pop-up? I would like to try it at least. Thanks.

I had the upgrade option pop up, but I don't know what I did to make it happen.  I do know that you have to have Duet up and running with your iPad connected.

To upgrade to the Pro is not a flat fee, but a $3.99/month subscription.  I just won't use it enough to justify the expense.  Many of you are using Accordance, your computers and iPads professionally and actually earn some money with them.  I don't.  If it were a flat fee of $20, I'd do it.

As far as I can tell, the app version is the same?  I've emailed them.  I'll let you know if I learn anything more.

• Like 1

Thanks for checking Julia. I had mine connected for a while. Maybe it won't pop up on my old iPad.

FWIW, I'm definitely not in the category of a professional who earns money.

OK.  Heard back from the guy at Duet.  

After the initial response, I asked the following questions:

1 – Someone on the forums of the Bible software I use is using Duet wirelessly (or Bluetooth?).  Does this require a subscription?

2 – If I want the $19.99/year, how do I do that and avoid the $3.99/month?

3 – How and on which device do I access these options?

Thank you!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And got the following response:

I'm going to answer your questions in one. 

For Duet Pro you will need an iPad Pro for the monthly or yearly subscription, which one of the feature is to use Duet Pro wirelessly. In app you can choose how to pay for the app. You can unlock a whole suite of features including: tailored algorithms for faster drawing response, pressure & tilt control, multi touch gestures zoom & pan, hover, line smoothing, color calibration and Pixel Perfect image refresh. 

We are constantly developing the app, so Pro users will get new features regularly and will receive priority support to ensure they are able to rely on the product in their daily workflow.

If you have any other questions, just let us know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I asked:

Do I do this from the iPad?  Where is the option for the upgrade?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And he answered:

1. To enable Duet Pro you must tap your Apple pencil on your iPad when Duet is loading. This will enable a button on the top left corner of your loading screen that reads "Pro", tap this button to start the subscription process.  If the aforementioned isn't working, you can temporarily change the iPad's name to "iPadPro" - without quotations - in order to force this button to appear.

2. We charge the subscription after the 7 day free trial. You can cancel the trial at any time using the method described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

3. Due to the new Apple refund policy, after the 7 day free trial has ended, Apple will refuse to give you a refund. Since all of our transactions are handled by Apple, we are bound to this policies. In case you feel that Duet Pro isn't for you, please cancel the subscription before the 7 day free trial expires to avoid paying for something you won't be using. :) 

If you have any other question(s) ask away! We're here to help. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this helps y'all.  I don't think I want to spring for even the $20/year, but some of you may be interested.
  • Like 1

Thanks for checking into all that, Julia. I often use Duet when I’m with my MBP away from home so as to have a second screen, although it seems to have been pretty buggy the last couple of times I try to use it. I’ll wait until I’m in a similar situation again before I decide to go “pro” with Duet. I do look forward to trying out the Luna Display once it is released. 

It's good that there are options.  The competition should motivate the various developers, giving the consumer a better product.  Let us know about your experience.

I will probably continue to use Duet tethered.  Now that I have a laptop with USB-C ports, I need another cable, USB-C <—> Lightning, so I don't have to use an adapter.